Skin Tight Space Suits 'support astronauts' bones'

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I saw this news report about a revolutionary new space suit to help combat muscle loss and the expansion of the spinal column during extended freefall and I couldn't help but think of Patrick Stewart's complaints about the Season 1 uniforms.

Could Star Trek have inspired another real world technological advancement?

2. Ensign Ro

Ensign Ro Ensign Red Shirt

I am not a big fan of skin tight outfits. If it works for real space, I am fine with it. If it was for TV, I not sure. As a woman, I know what eye candy looks like.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

So that was what Seven of Nine was wearing...

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And what actress could ever say "no" to wearing such? There are literally thousands of women from which to select who will gladly sport such an outfit ... camel toe and all! But I did hate the catsuits Marina Siritis was made to wear, because they just looked stupid. They didn't enhance (or diminish) certain feminine proportions and aspects to make Deanna Troi look even more ravishing. And the colour of these were very uninteresting. I do not usually like short women, but there is something about Marina that makes her a rare exception, for me. And besides, they could've reserved the skant for her, alone. She looked amazingly cute in it, for Encounter at Farpoint. Marina was made to show just a touch more than a hint of cleavage, wearing catsuits, and it wasn't enough to justify it, frankly. The necklines had to be much deeper, than what they were. It didn't make a lot of sense not having her in a standard uniform, if that's all we were going to see. She finally does sport one, in the later seasons, of course ... and obviously, she rocked them, like none other!

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I always thought Marina looked fantastic in the "bunny suits" but looked fantastic in her uniform as well. The cheerleader uniform from E@F? She looked good in it but I don't think it really "worked."

And I still defend the "bunny suit" as making a degree or two of sense in the context of her being a counselor and needing to look like a friend or an open person rather than a fellow, maybe even superior, officer.

6. 2takesfrakes

As a counselor, wearing civilian clothes would've made sense for those reasons, yes, with regard to putting someone more at ease. But exposing her sweet cleavage and wearing that curve-hugging spandex was not the way to do it. Females are going to become envious and Men are going to get turned-on. In a T.V. Mentality, though, yes, dressing all sexed-up is the same as civilian-wear, and in truth, it's like that in reality, too. Hot babes and those poor, unfortunates who think they're hot, showing off what they got. But yeah, what guy is going to tell some delicious babe in a revealing outfit of his psychological impedimentia ... and deepest fears? When all he wants to do is chat her up ... for the purpose of geting a date with her. Doesn't really make a lot of sense, except for her wearing this shit for STAR TREK's home audience.

7. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is a major difference between astronauts in freefall wearing tight, supportive outfits and putting a model in a skin-tight jumpsuit with high heels (Seven/T'Pol) to order to put butts in seats in front of TVs at home. One of my favorite scene involving Troi was when Jellico told her to put her boobs away and dress like a damned Starfleet officer.

Speaking of Troi and her boobs hanging out; it's no wonder Barclay had weird sexual issues that involved her.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, for that argument to work the show would have to have no artificial gravity.

9. 2takesfrakes

I would be more inclined to tell my problems to a woman who's plain and homely - like Guinana, for instance - instead of someone hot and yummy, like Counselor Troi. Out of the catsuit ... or in it!

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just because they wear skin tight support clothing doesn't mean they will wear nothing else above it.

Those ridiculous scifi designs... skintight catsuits (specifically designed to enhance the Boobs instead of flattening them), spacesuits with Boobs. Boob shaped armor. Vulcans with Boob implants. Laughable.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, that scene is... odd. She puts on soothing music, turns down the lights, tells him to close his eyes and starts talking in low, soothing, voices to him. And acts surprised when he freaks out and bolts.

I don't think any man could have been in that room and not have left it with dry pants.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The actress might have Boob implants, but the character didn't. That's like saying Kirk wore s hairpiece.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Then T'Pol had really unnatural looking natural Boobs.
    Never noticed a hairpiece though. I think there's the difference.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

On Kirk? :wtf:

15. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't tell me Shatner's boobs are fake! :wah:

I'm still traumatized by the one-piece pajamas of Stefan DeSeve. Of course, the one-piece of Tasha's sister was as stupid as that, but...:whistle: At least, the one-pieces in TOS were work suits, but in TNG they doesn't really make sense...is it suppose to be more formal?:vulcan:
    I imagine a scene where the artificial gravity is lost at Ten Forward, all drinks are and Guinan's hat would be floatting.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcan women apply makeup, sometimes wear their hair in elaborate ways, and dress in stylish robes and other outfits. Why wouldn't they also get breast implants for the same reason, to enhance their appearance.

I would imagine they occasionally get their teeth straighten too.

While it's possible that the character of T'Pol breasts were natural, it's also possible she choose to have them "modified."

:)

17. 2takesfrakes

But is it "logical" to have them modified in such a way as to appear ... unnatural? Breast enlargement techniques and materials have vastly improved in the next hundred years, surely! Unless the fakeness of her implants was some sort of a "statement," which she's young enough, perhaps, to have wanted to make about something. What that statement is, I haven't the remotest idea, except perhaps to emphasize her honesty about herself: "I had my breasts altered and enhanced - so there!"

18. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Came for the Moltalban/Khan pecs comments, was disappointed.

What's the current view on the subject among the fandom?

19. 2takesfrakes

Khan's fake chest looks like shit.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

All the gay men in the world, for starters...