SJA 2X05/06: Secrets of the Stars

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Csalem, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Secret of the Stars

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good

50.0%
  3. Average

40.0%
  4. Bad

10.0%
  5. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Part 1: CBBC Oct 20th - 17:15-17:45
    BBC 1 Oct 27th - 16:35-17:05
    Part 2: CBBC Oct 27th - 17:15-17:45
    BBC 1 Nov 3rd - 16:35-17:05

Again, please vote after seeing Part 2

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow I was right. Lame trailer = good episode! :)

Nice performances all around, though the actor playing Mr Truman got dangerously close to going OTT. :)

So who else was sitting through most of the episode with your fingers crossed going "Mandragora Helix. Oh please, oh please, oh please!"

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I'll give a full report once we have pt 2 available, but on the whole a good solid episode. Russ Abbott was good in places but, as said above, dangerously OTT in others. I think what's great about this 'kids' show is that it doesn't talk down to kids.

One down point-Considering how good Clyde seems as an actor I thought his possessed Clyde was bad!

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I thought he danced a merry jig across the line a few times.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clyde has been fun this season. But the same thing happened with Micky and Yanto too. Boring nobs in season one reading for a renaissance in season two...

I do wish that the flash back been to the 70s or even the 5 doctors if they really wanted to over egg the pudding.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I do understand they don't want to confuse the kiddies though :)

7. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I must say I enjoyed the first part of this story. I was fairly impressed with Russ Abbott who played a rather sinister Mr. Truman, although I did roll my eyes when he started shouting and shooting the "ancient lights" at Sarah Jane and Rani, not very convincing at all.

The budding relationship between Rani and Sarah is also promising, as Truman noted, Rani is Sarah Jane's companion.

Sorry for the random thoughts, but I do think that next weeks solution has been pretty much spelled out. Truman takes over people through their star signs=Luke doesn't have a star sign. hmm :)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

aha, good point!

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

A fairly good episode, although not all the much better than last week's story. Russ Abbott was pretty good as Mr. Truman, I'll admit, so hopefully next week's will be a satisfying conclusion.

Actually, I didn't. However, when Rani mentioned "another universe," I started chanting "E-Space! E-Space!" :angel:

Yeah, same here. Either all or nothing, although I don't think the flashback was all that necessary anyways.

Oh, did anyone else catch the Frontier in Space reference? :D

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, but that was a Katey Manning story...

The Star Ship Terminus is from the last universe, but that isn't a Sarah Jane Story either... Although the pilot was a huge Immortal man-Goat which seems terrible coincidental not to be a little astrologic.

11. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

A brilliant first part... can't wait 'til Monday! :D

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

at the half way point, waiting for episode 2 now, Rani is GOOD (think the bit where she works out at was from a time before the Big Bang, would like to know what Doctor Who has said about that previously)

and yeah the flashback to theDoctor should have been to either the 3rd or 4th, however dare I hope that, that is set up for his appearance in the 2nd part?

more later

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

ok Part 2, everyone turning into mindless zombies, um not to criticise the show, but that has been done to death already, sadly no sign of the Doctor, well none of the actual Doctor, but Luke does his best impression of him, joining the circle and breaking it like he did.

Mr Smith saying "nothing his happening" when something was, is actually a bit creepy.

however I would like to ask one question, if Trueman has taken over TV, how come the TV news channels were still on air?

14. Bob The Skutter

Internet streams?

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

possibly

16. Bob The Skutter

I did think the same thing though.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

im sure we are not the only ones

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wondered the same thing. But despite that, despite the reuse of the hypnotised masses from The Christmas Invasion, not to mention Truman doing an "Astrid" at the end, I liked it. Possibly that's for Clyde's imortal Aero will enter the Galaxy line.

I'm not sure if you have to be British to get that or not.

This does prove why Moffat needs to move Who away from the obsession with modern day Earth (or at least change the emphasis) The everyday mum and dad in peril is just becoming very repetetive now.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I hadnt trigged all the chocolate refrences, but yeah you have a point, same for Mars & Milky Way, and yeah the Astrid ending came to my mind as well.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Again, another fairly good episode, but this season isn't quite up to par as the last season (except for the first serial). I really loved Clyde's astrological bullshitting. The reference to Planet of the Spiders and The Hand of Fear was great, too. :lol:

Hopefully the next three stories will be better. I have a feeling the last one will be great. ;)