Since When Is The Motion Picture A Good Trek Film?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Similitude, May 15, 2009.

1. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My mind is being boggled by this right now. Since JJTrek came out (I love it btw) a lot of people have understandingly been doing Rankings of all the Trek films. What has shocked me, is how many people are putting TMP not only in the top 3 but sometimes as Number 1.

Now this just boggles my mind. I'm a pretty darn big Trek fan, grew up on The II-IV Trilogy and grew into TNG Era from there, but as a kid I never liked TMP and even as an adult I don't care for it. I think its up there with Final Frontier for worst Trek film ever.

It's not even that its that bad per se. It's just so boring, horribly paced and I didn't care for any of the cast additions. I just don't get why people would have this one ranked highly.

So I just want to hear from those that love TMP, why they love it and point out some good stuff about it. I am pretty sure the people who love it are Trekkers who have been around since TOS was on the air originally, but I guess time will tell on that.

Just to clarify, not trying to attack TMP or people who like it, just trying to see WHY people like it. I just don't get it.

And before anyone asks, II, III, IV and VI are some of my favorite movies ever.

2. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um, maybe because it's the only Trek film that is truer in plot to a TOS episode and because it's the only one that comes close to being REAL science fiction and makes you think (kind of the way 2001 did).

It's a "thinking man's" Star Trek...

To compare it to STV is ludicrous...they aren't even close.

You may not like TMP, but it WAS an ambitious film for the time. The beautiful visual effects (completed under an unreasonable deadline), the excellent groundbreaking musical score and the reunion of the cast all come together making it very much worth the effort.

The director's cut particularly is a great film...but, I understand it's not for everyone.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Director's Cut of TMP is fantastic, has better pacing, and is far more enjoyable to me.

J.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Director's Cut of TMP is fantastic, has better pacing, and is far more enjoyable to me.

J.

5. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only things TMP "made me think" were "good lord, when is this scene going to end?" or "YES. IT'S THE ENTERPRISE. I GET IT ALREADY" or other such things. I thought it was dull, plodding, and on par with "Threshold" for how much entertainment value it presented.

The first TOS movies I saw were IV and VI, both of which I loved. Then I finished TNG/DS9 and saw the TNG movies. Recently I've been going back to fill in the gaps I missed, now just needing to see III and V. I didn't care much for TWOK, but it's a masterpiece compared to TMP if you ask me.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I am not a fan of the so-called director's cut, but then again, I'm no fan of SFS or TVH in any form either, and don't think much of TUC.

20th century versions of TMP have got tremendously accomplished visual effects sequences and a great score. The movie is problematic AS A MOVIE, in terms of framing, depth of field, cutting, and a zillion other things, but ... IT TRIES. Some of that comes through to me, no matter how much I dislike other things about it.

7. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

My mom & I went to see TMP in the theaters when it first came out. It is the first and only time I remember my mom falling asleep during a movie in a theater, even though she was very excited about the release. She & I both much preferred the next three installments of the motion pictures.

I remember her comment back then was that now they had managed to make a movie, maybe they would make more...and even though she did fall asleep, she was looking forward to seeing more Trek in the theaters.

8. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

December 7, 1979

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated TMP when I first watched it as a teen because of how slow it was, but I thought the director edition DVD is a big improvement in terms of pacing. Certainly not a perfect movie, it feels a bit stiff for the most part, but I can appreciate great scenes such as "The Enterprise", and Kirk drafting McCoy back into service is one of my favourite McCoy scenes (and McCoy is my favourite TOS character). It's not a great movie, but its heart is in the right place and it is desperately trying to tell a great story even if it does have trouble in achieving it. I think it is a better movie than Star Trek because Star Trek succeeded in creating mediocrity while TMP failed in creating greatness.

And I'm 23, so I have no emotional attachment to it.

10. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thought on TMP when i saw it first probably in late 1980s in VHS i liked it as much as the II-IV Trilogy. I pretty much saw first 4 movies within 2 years. I liked them all and i found TMP having mysterious plot(who is this Vger and what does it want) and bald chick was hot(i was teenager;)). It wasn't until three ago i started browsing Trek sites and re watching the movies that i found out for my surprise that many Trek fans didn't like TMP and many felt it was boring and slow:wtf: and when i see people ranking TMP in same league as TFF, INC and NEM. I am lost for words.
    After seeing the director cut i think its the best Trek film mainly because its smart science fiction movie and it capture TOS spirit to boldly go where no man has gone before and explore new civilization and new lifeforms. Also TMP comes closet to Roddenberry vision of the future. If don't remember him. He created STAR TREK.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Absolutely. I'm not sure what was changed between this version and original version, but the Director's Cut is just so much easier to watch.

12. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'll give it yet another shot, but I've seen the Directors cut and It didn't change much for my opinion.

I understand its more of a "thinking" Sci-Fi movie, but I've seen and enjoyed plenty of those. This was just slow, plodding and boring.

13. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Since late 1979.

14. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just a matter of taste I guess. I don't get why people like Michael Ba-- JJ Abrams Trek.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Wow, that's good stuff. Maybe if I ever see the Abrams thing on dvd, then I'll be able to ask you to borrow that as a signature line.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think you just have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It's definitely put me to sleep a number of times, but at least once or twice I've watched it and thought it was great.

This thread inspired me to watch it right now, as a matter of fact!

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Why? Because it's a science fiction film about some big ideas, even if its reach exceeded the filmmakers' grasp. The rest are space soap operas with lots of suds.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Since never. Nostalgia is a funny thing.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm almost done watching it, and I think it's great.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It was too influenced by the style and pace of 2001. Which doesn't really work all the well with Star Trek. I love 2001, its a favorite of mine. TMP, not so much.