Since Kirk is on the show perhaps we can get more backstory on the Tarsus IV incident...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Dar70, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

And Kodos the Executioner in a Kirk Centric episode. The show is after all called Strange New Worlds and it doesnt always have to Focus on Pike and the Enterprise.

Timofnine likes this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bryan Cranston as Kodos.

I totally called it. :evil:

Farscape One and Search4 like this.
  3. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do we need more backstory on this? And why do we need more Kirk on SNW?

Nyotarules and fireproof78 like this.
  4. Dar70

Well I'm assuming we are gonna get more Kirk because hes in season 2. Also as I have said there is no reason Strange New Worlds has to just be a Pike Centric show. They can have an epsiode that totally is all Kirk. Better than them just making another limited series. Just like the Bobba Fett show had a couple of Mandolorian centric episodes thrown in since there was not a season of mando this year. These streaming shows are not like television productions. They wont get as many episodes, in many cases only last a few years and really are not structured like network programs.
    I dont see why SNW cant continue after Anson decides to leave or they get to the point that Pike is a vegetable. I'm sure there are many other stories that can be told that dont always have to involve the Enterprise..

SNW can totally be the Anthology show that was talked about many years ago.

As for Backstory. I would like to know why Kirk was there. Was his family there? Was he a young teen that was a Cadet for Starfleet that got stranded there?? Etc...
    Plus I would like to see more of Kodos' motivation for what he did.

5. Jedi Marso

Well, to each their own, but my personal preference would be that SNW is a show about 'Pike's Enterprise' and that we see as little of TOS characters as possible, inasmuch as they've made half of them crewmembers already.

And there is enough time between 'now' and Pike's accident that we never have to get there during this show's run. The show could run 7 seasons and end with Pike's accident still a year or two in the future. Besides, even though they won't admit, we all know this is an alternate timeline anyway and Pike is going to find a way to 'beat the rap' of destiny in the end. ;) :evil:

6. Dar70

Well even though pike says about 10 years. Its 7 from the first episode according to producers. So unless time barely passed between seasons who knows if they will end it just before the accident. But I'm sure it will lead up to it. Also no one knows what happens to Pike at the end of the Menagerie. Maybe the Talosians learn how to put humans back together and Pike somehow makes it into Picards time...lol

As for TOS characters on the show. They have opened that can of worms. May as well go broke and cover some backstory. I really do think a couple of Kirk eps would be a nice departure from just Enterprise crew stuff. Maybe even get some backstory on Obssession as well.

7. Jedi Marso

Again, to my mind we have all the backstory on Obsession that we need. We know exactly what happened, why Kirk ate himself up about it, and how it all ended. It's a closed book. Trying to 'invent more backstory' for stuff like this just makes things messy and opens up the character's history to dumb contradictions. We don't need whole episodes of a new show (and remember, we only get 10 per season right now) to revisit/rehash 50 year old background shit from TOS that frankly, nobody but the hardest-core old school fans could possibly give a crap about.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't. Kirk's backstory is known. Let's see more about Pike's adventure.

9. Dar70

Yet you are perfectly fine with more Chapel and Uhura??? Because we dont need their backstory either...

10. Jedi Marso

Actually, I would have preferred both actresses to play entirely new characters. M'Benga too, for that matter. The endless callbacks and fan service are one of the things I dislike about nu-Trek and also most of the SW stuff that is coming out. New characters, new stories are what we should be getting. The only three that sort of had to be there for this show were Pike, Una, and Spock. Everything else was wide open.

I'm really hoping we don't see any more TOS characters in SNW. Especially Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov.

Nyotarules and Dar70 like this.
  11. fireproof78

No, not really, but the show has done well despite my apprehensions. Kirk is a known quantity. Chapel and Uhura were more cardboard cutouts at times.

I like Kirk a lot but I would prefer they explore the crew they have rather than gravitate towards more known quantities. Not that it much matters. Just my preference.

12. Dar70

Fair enough. But i think Kirk's backstory before TOS is almost as untapped as Uhura and Chapel. Disregarding Trek 2009 of course.

I'm thinking we will definitely get Kirk episodes somewhere along the line. Either in SNW or another show completely. All depends on how Paul Wesley shapes up as Kirk I guess...

13. Jedi Marso

More Kirk seems to be a foregone conclusion. But I don't have to like it. And no hate for Paul Wesley, but he's not selling it for me so far as my all-time favorite Trek captain.

It is what it is. I've really enjoyed SNW so far, all things being equal. We'll see where it goes in S2.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Let's use Riley to tell that story instead.

15. fireproof78

Except it's known. What do we know of Uhura and Chapel's background? Siblings? Where they were born? We know this about Kirk. The other two not as much.
    Yes, we'll get more Kirk episodes. I don't have to like it and my preference is that Wesley gets his own show rather than say "This is the Pike so, so here's Kirk!"

SMH.
    Exactly. It's a less than preferable for my enjoyment in SNW.

16. Dar70

That would be cool as well...

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think too much Kirk would violate canon but a story where Kirk and Uhura work together? Why not?

Although who is coming back as a regular on season 2? Most of the characters have left the ship.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Everyone except Hemmer.

XCV330 likes this.
  19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oof. Too soon,.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like who? :confused:

Except for Hemmer's death, nobody has as yet left the show.