Sibling rivalry

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you familiar with that?

Me and my sister, we were never close. And having read about the Klingon brothers Klag and Dorrek made me create this thread.

Are you close with your siblings? Is or was there any competition?

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I had a step-sister for awhile, and thank goodness she was out of the picture many years ago.

No siblings now, and that's how I prefer it.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

One brother, four sisters. We've always been close despite rivalries, the old "Hey! You can't do that to my sister/brother! Only I can do that!"

Funny thing: our mother was an only child, and she always said she never understood sibling rivalry because she always wanted siblings of her own and would have welcomed them with no conflict.

KimMH and Kilana2 like this.
  4. Kilana2

That's good. We are not of noble heritage and we are not Klingons, Rockstars (Liam and Noel Gallagher, Oasis, hate each other) or athlets (Robert and Christoph Harting, Discus throwers, also can't stand each other).
    Things between my sister and me improved since we don't live together anymore.

5. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

I've got a younger sister.

Things are mostly okay. This morning, she sent me a message over social media. She wondered if I knew that my fave band were headlining a local festival. (I didn't. It's not announced on their social media yet.)

Although, there have been times when she's been competitive and stolen ideas/one upped.

Kilana2 likes this.
  6. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I have three brothers. We’re not as close as some siblings but they’re pretty much my best friends. My husband’s two sisters are pretty much his. Between the siblings and spouses and nieces and nephews and parents we’re all fairly happy. My side is a bunch of raging fundamental christians and his are more liberal but we all get along pretty well. I will be gutted to lose either of my parents (aged 80 & 85) but suspect it will be harder to lose one of my bros.

Kilana2 likes this.
  7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I have a brother, half sister and half brother.
    We are not close, my brother and I hated each other during our childhood, he was spoiled by our parents.
    He did bad things but my parents always defended him, like he stole money from me but It was also my fault because I should hide it better.
    And now we just don't care for each other.

My half brother has the same character as my brother, and my half sister only thinks about herself.
    I am jealous at my wife who is an only child.

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I come from a family that bred like rats. Although, there’s a huge age gap between me and the younger siblings. We’re all grown ups now.

9. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m the youngest of three, with a fair gap between me and my sisters. In some ways, I was seen as the favoured and hoped for son. When I was really young I was a play thing for my sisters and they made my life hell. When I was an older child, my sisters were young adults and left me alone, but they were supportive. The younger of my sisters died nearly twenty years ago. The other sister lives in another part of the country and we don’t have much in common, but we recently connect on Facebook.

I was quite lonely sometimes and often wished I’d had a sibling I could play with, and later drink with. My own kids are lucky to have each other so close in age, but are different enough to have no rivalry, and only compete for resources like the laptop. I hope they stay so close.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I had one sibling, a younger sister.

We did not get along well for a long time, primarily (from my point of view) because she was an alcoholic who was aggressive, abusive and just all around unpleasant.

She was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver in 2008. She kept drinking was put into hospice on Christmas Eve of 2008. By then she had alienated just about everyone. I went down to her house at the very end. She couldn't speak any more, but she started crying when she saw me (we hadn't seen each other in about 5 years).

At that moment, all that stuff went away.

I was sitting next to her bed, and I watched her die two days later.

One thing I was acutely aware of is how many things only she and I knew, only she and I experienced. Growing up in the same house, going on family vacations, stuff like that. For some reason that really stuck with me for a long time.

teacake and KimMH like this.
  11. Kilana2

There are no addicted people in my family, thank god. But I've experienced it in my profession how difficult addicted people are to deal with. I dealt with people who were on withdrawal therapy several times - and failed and kept on drinking. Or they went to therapy for losing weight - just to return home: they lost 20 kg and put on 50 kg afterwards to be more obese than ever. Most of them are afraid of change.....

KimMH likes this.
  12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I had one older brother. He was gifted with artistic ability and his eye for detail was so acute that it didn't surprise us that he taught anatomy. However to achieve his qualifications he had to overcome dyslexia and lived with severe diabetes. When we were children words came easily to me. Our strengths were different but he was so competitive and often my mother would downplay any accomplishments I may made at school. I even remember on my birthdays he would be given presents too :lol: I think his struggles made him a kinder person and a more giving person.

It flattered me that he received so many accolades in his life but cared about what I thought of him. He wasn't treated well by my father and to a lesser degree nor was I. I was the only other person in the world who he could speak to about it and knew.

I loved him.

Admiral2, KimMH, Sibyl and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry about your sister Digits.

1001001 likes this.
  14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a younger sister who I am close to, and a Much Older Sister who never wanted to have much of a relationship with her (much) younger sisters. Her loss, because we're super cool.

KimMH, Sibyl and Kilana2 like this.
  15. KimMH

I’m sorry @1001001 and @Refuge - I would be deeply grieved to lose my brothers.

I’m sorry for those here who don’t have happy loving experiences with yours.

Mine are a source of support and love. Spent today with the brothers, their families and grandparents for a nieces sporting event. It was wonderful.

16. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

My relationship with my brother has always been...complicated. On one hand, he spent the time I was at Spanish Camp sleeping in my bed because he missed me, on the other, we used to chase each other around with knives. He's 4-1/2 years younger than me.

Now, he's self-sufficient and I'm highly dependent. He's moved out of state and as many times as I've tried to move far away, I'm still here. We do get along (most of the time) but we don't really talk to each other often. There have even been times he's been in town and I either haven't gotten to see him or I didn't know he was here at all.

I got him interested in hovercraft with my own enthusiasm and interest in them when I was a teen, now he's just sold, what, his fifth craft that he's built and gotten bored of?

Not sure if I'll ever have a niece or nephew, but I know he won't. My mom is torn...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    KimMH likes this.
  17. PhantomFan1

PhantomFan1 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have two sisters, one older and one younger.

As my father was in the military, he was away from home a lot. This left me ad the only boy in the house. I was constantly outvoted on everything.

My relationship now? I'm almost completely estranged from my older sister. She threw a hissy fit when I didn't go to my parents for the Christmas break (I am a Jehovah's witness and thus don't celebrate Christmas) and beyond off all talking with me.

My younger sister... Well, it's a natural relationship. She lives about 6 hours away and we rarely talk to each other. We were never close and we each just get news about the other via our parents. We don't talk but it doesn't bother us at all.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a stepbrother and a stepsister.

Although I normally don't use the term "step" to refer to them, because I don't like that word. IMHO, whether they are related to me by marriage (which they are - their mother is married to my father), or by blood, is irrelevant. They are my siblings, and that's all I care about. :shrug:

That said, I never had any real rivalry with either of them. We always got along pretty well. Except for the time when I nicked my brother's Kraftwerk albums and scratched the hell out of them. But that was an accident. :alienblush: :lol:

Sibyl and KimMH like this.
  19. KimMH

We call my husband’s Step mom his “other-mother.”

Sibyl likes this.
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that! :techman:

CommanderRaytas, Sibyl and KimMH like this.