Shouldn't Mark have dumped his emergency replacement substitute wife?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely the guy would have been tied up emotionally?

His true love is alive but some rebound is keeping his bed warm.

Was Mark supposed to toss his Wife to the curb and wait 70 years for Kathryn?

Or was he waiting till Janeway got home early before he began divorce proceedings?

Playing it safe is a real dick move.

Living alone and waiting is what a punk would do.

Maybe he offered to divorce the new wife and Janeway told him not to bother and then he didn't know if she was testing him or sick of him?

Women play games.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Shouldn't Mark have dumped his emergency replacement substitute wi

In Roddenberry's vision that wouldn't even have been a problem. Polygamy, love instructors, etc...

3. Guy Gardener

I'm betting Dee had certificates in Love Instruction.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If people even need "love instructors" in the Trek future, then the situation is hopeless indeed... :sigh:

5. Guy Gardener

For one on one maybe.

But polygamy can can be quite the can of worms.

Consider when the traffic lights break down that they still need a cop with white gloves to make sure everyone doesn't pile up into a rambling bent mess.

6. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Getting back to the original question, who says that Janeway is Mark's true love? Maybe his wife is? He might have to wait 70 years, He is already married, If Mark is happy he shouldn't divorce his wife. And do you really think Janeway would be playing a game with Mark or testing him? Please.
    He's moved on, and she can too, theoretically.

7. Guy Gardener

I assume that Janeway is his true love because it's been empirically proved week after week that she is almost perfect in every way. Janeway is superwoman. The only reason that her fiancée would be more in love with another woman is if this other woman is more fantastic than Janeway or that he realized that he's actually scared by powerful women and after dodging a bullet, decided to find someone significantly less awesome than Kathryn Janeway.

I assume that Mark is our captain's true love because Janeway ignored every opportunity in disrespect Mark for the first four years, and then spent the next 3 years turning her nose up every approaching suitor as substandard to requirements... Of course her yardstick for "good enough" might have changed after Mark betrayed her memory so quickly.

The game is "shit or get of the pot" because offering to leave his wife is bullshit. It's making it her choice, asking Janeway about her convenience, that if she is willing to put up with him, then he can make himself available, which is hardly brave, holding out for easy and sure. If Mark is willing to leave his wife for Kathryn, but she's not willing to say yes or no, that she will take him back until he physically removed himself from that marriage for realz, it doesn't necessarily mean that Captain Janeway will say "yes" after he has divorced his wife.

Love is not 30 percent of your resources determined to get it's own way.

Shit or get off the pot.

I saw this with the Doctor too, playing it safe, not hitting on Seven till she chose to remove her emotional dampening cortical implant, how brave of him. When in reality, Chakotay made a move to get the girl beforehand when love would still kill her. The Indian went "all in" when returning his feelings would kill Anika unless she submitted to drastic invasive surgery.

She liked Chuckles enough to get brain surgery.

Where was I?

Mark moved on because he believed a lie. He didn't move on from a truth he didn't hear.

If he had been married to Janeway instead of engaged, then that would nullify his second marriage surely, even if Kathy had been declared dead.

if he gets a starship and tries to meet Kathryn half way, she'd only 35 years away which makes the entire affair only half as hopeless if he would just put his shoulder to wheel to define how much he loves the woman more so than continuing to fornicate with his emergency replacement substitute wife.

The new wife walks her dog.

Mark lets his woman walk Janeway's dog.

1/2 an hour after Endgame's credits rolled, I'd be surprised if Mark still had teeth.

8. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

anyone else got a headache after reading that?

9. Guy Gardener

Try writing it.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to a Guy Gardner post.:lol:

11. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't often respond, but I usually find these posts fascinating reading.

12. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Try reading it when on Day 3 of a seven day fast of protein shakes and green veggies. :wtf:

kimc, health nut

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell was Mark supposed to do, live alone for the rest of his life just because Janeway *might* one day turn up? He has the right to move on. Everyone back home thought Voyager was lost. Mark thought she was dead. Ergo, he seeks out someone to rebuild his life with.

And even if Janeway turns up alive, like she did? She would never expect Mark to dump his new wife and come running back to her. If she had, she'd be a possessive bitch. But she isn't. She clearly did not blame Mark for moving on. No sane person would.

14. Guy Gardener

I'd like to take point with the word "sane" there.

Peoples insides are a mess, she can blame him with out requiring his return. Just like you can hate vomiting but not shovel the upchuck back inside you to get rid of the empty incomplete feeling.

Janeway murders wives that get in the way of her nookie.

We've seen it.

Consider the new wife.

How special is she supposed to feel?

First she's the consolation prize, she only got her bloke by walking over Janeway's grave, a Funeral Crasher I bet, and now that his corpsefiance is back, is he only there out of some sense of loyalty and honour, or does mark actually want her?

The new wife should divorce mark and THEN propose to him to see if he still wants her on a level playing field, however if she secretly fears that there is so little keeping their marriage afloat now that Mark can do so much more than merely dream about Kathryn Janeway every night, she would never do such a thing... Actually, mark probably only married to stop himself spending 26 hours a day in the holodeck with holoJaneway doing the girlfriend experience.

Remember when Brian he dog and Lois were dating because they thought peter was after he'd been lost at sea? She said after her husband returned from the dead to her new suitor "It's a good thing Peter came back when he did because tomorrow night I was planning on rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrocking your world."

15. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

Well I don't blaime him for "moving on" I do believe his new wife, you know the one not nearly as wonderful or hot as Janeway (cuz that is impossiable), was pregnant or had a baby by the time he found out that Kathryn was alive and well in the DQ. That would mean that he was now tied to more then just a marriage. Janeway, being selfless as always, would never let him leave his family.

However, think of how insecure his new wife must have felt. To replace Captain Kathryn Elizabeth Janeway of the Intrepid Class Starship Voyager, complete with bio-neural circuitry, must have been a huge hurtle NOW she has to keep him from trying to run off when "She of the Red Shoulders" returns... OMG good luck!

16. Guy Gardener

Stan Ivar will always be 12 years older than Kate Mulgrew, but does that mean that Mark is 12 years older than Kathryn since she supposedly went to school with "Hobbes" according to Jeri Taylor's novels, but I don't recall mention of children in that awful homecoming series, not that I remember much other than that the three of them went to the beach together as they tried to construct a healthy friendship.

Pure horror.

When can women have children in the future for convenience and safety? Just because it begins to become impossible in a ladies thirties these days it doesn't mean that if Mark did want (more?) children all of a sudden that he wouldn't have had to have seduced a "girl" almost half Kathryn's age. I'd have to assume that Menopause is just a suggestion in the future.

Besides, if Mark wanted children, why did the lad chose to become a Starfleet widow?

"Yes I have a Fiancée, but she's on the other side of the Federation."

Beard much?

Mark was gay and using Kathy to hide it from Berman.

17. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

In the stories of the Voyager 10th anniv. compilation was one about Mark's experience after Voyager was lost, his activities in the "Voyager families" group, and then how he ended up marrying "Carla." IMHO, it was inferred that his new wife was maybe kind of better suited for him than Kathryn was, more of a "homey" type woman. (Not that KJ wouldn't have been a good wife, but being Starfleet, she was more likely to go off on some mission, and well, a little less apt to stay as much around the homestead.) When he was told that Voyager had been "found" in the DQ, he (which is canon ie in the ep. "Hunters") was invited to send a letter to Kathryn, and we know he gave KJ the "send off" message. In the story it was written that he told KJ he still loved her, but well, he had moved on, and then he got on with his life. I sort of think his new wife wasn't just a substitute for Janeway, but someone he was glad to be married to, just a thought (and tho a big KJ fan, I didn't think that was so very wrong of him, and anyway you can love more than one person in your lifetime - KJ herself had been engaged before Mark.). PS, and yes in Homecoming Mark & wife do have a little son.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  18. Guy Gardener

This whole "moving on" thing doesn't comply with Jeri Ryan's vision that mark had wanted to marry Kathryn since he was 5 years old.

Call it emotional momentum.

Remember, death doesn't stop true love, it just slows it down a little.

19. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Well, Mark might have thought KJ was his "true love," but he could also truly love his wife. And yes there might be a difference, but in "Hunters" KJ did say that Mark was "very happy." It's also possible that Mark & wife might have not stayed so content, but at least in the books (yes, not exactly canon) they still were when Voyager got back to the AQ. KJ might have been Mark's 1st love, but he could have loved his wife as much, or even (gasp) more. (Or you can just subscribe to that pop song's hook "if you can't be w/ the one you love, then love the one you're with," lol.) Anyway, it might make living a little less worth slogging it out if one could say there's only one person you can find "true love" with, since the chance of losing that love is unfortunately possible, as Mark (and KJ) did find out. Well, life goes on and Mark had to do so, even without Kathryn, and KJ realized that, being not too surprised when she found out he did just that.

20. Guy Gardener

Penelopee waited 20 years for Odysseus to return, and when he did he found dozens of suitors rampaging across his little kingdom, demanding the Penelopee, her lands and coffers all for them self that she should make a decision and let one of them fill up the dead man's shoes.

After a bit of fun, Odysseus charged the lot of them, threading half a dozen potential boyfriends on his spear.

Historical precedence!

Tom Riker thought that Dee was waiting for him. But then that poor sod didn't even know that she had gotten engaged to Prison break's teabag 20 years before she meet her Imzadi. That Imzadi. Either of them.

Besides in the original Admiral Janeway timeline where it took Voyager 21 years to get home, Marks kids would be about the right age almost to be Mrs Robinsoned, which isn't too far off what was happening in the second season of Seaquest.