Should I buy an Xbox360 or PS3

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Saturn0660, May 2, 2008.

1. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, the wife said I can get a new system.. She wants RockBand.. We have a PS2 now. And yes i know PS2 has RockBand but she wants to be able to download extra songs... Sooooo...... What should I get... One one hand I do like the 360 and I have a few buddy who have them so online play is nice for that.. However, on the other hand so 360's seem to have a lifespan on par with Yugo's... And also it's nice that the PS3 does have the BD player in it.. however, i'm not a big movie buff..

So tell me all... What do you think... Even more so from the ones who have both... give plus and minus on both if you could..

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

rumor has it that th 360 will be getting a BR player in time for Christmas, but who knows?

I'd get a 360, but either one would be a good choice

3. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, there's only one way to decide. Look at the games and upcoming releases for both and see which lineup looks more appealing to you. Unless you're specifically in the market for the Blu-Ray, that's really the only important information in picking a console.

4. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I have a top of the range PC and a PS2 but neither of these are any good when it comes to playing GTA4, with the new release of GTA4 i'm seriously considering getting a console purely for that game alone and was looking into both the Xbox360 and PS3, from what ive seen, read and heard from friends and family the Xbox360 is the console to buy. Just yesterday I was going to by an Xbox360 Elite with GTA4 included for £260 but I didnt have the car with me and didnt wanna carry it home.

I wonder how long it will take to come out for the PC, do I buy an Xbox or should I wait a year or two and save £260? its a toughy!!!

5. jbrinegar

jbrinegar Lieutenant Red Shirt

PS3 if:

-you want bd playback
    -prefer Metal Gear Solid, Grand Turismo, Uncharted, Resistance Fall of Man series (PS3 exclusives)

360 if:

-no interest in bd playback
    -prefer Halo, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Crackdown (360 exclusives)

6. Dreadnoughty

Dreadnoughty Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally... I'd go for the PS3. Sure the Xbox is an OK system for games.... but thats it, thats where it stops. Games and games only, which is fair enough as its a game console, personally id rather have more things associated with it, like:

Blu-Ray
    Free Internet Access
    The ability to actually use Internet Explorer on my PS3
    Free wireless built in, not having to shell out more cash to pay for it
    The memory card slots (although 40gb dont have)
    The fact that compared to the Xbox, it probably wont die on you or get some sort of error. Both my Uni flatmates who own one, have both had several problems with them, ones got an original and ones got an elite, bit of a joke I think - I've had no problems with mine since October. I know there are Xbox users out there who dont have problems, but theres too many that do.
    Metal Gear Solid :drool:

Those are most of the reasons I bought a PS3, and I do not regret it one bit.

7. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Lieutenant Red Shirt

- Although you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold, the premium service offers better matchmaking and community services than what's offered on the PS3.

- Web browser on your tv? If that's what one's looking for in a game console, get a Wii and save $200.

- Rockstar Games will be delivering exclusive single player content for those who own GTAIV on the 360 in the next few months.

- I haven't had a problem with my console (mfg 02/07), but I keep it on a table so it's well ventilated. I hear that MSFT might be introducing a new processor with the intent of eliminating cooling issues, but I haven't heard a lot of problems with the current run of hardware. If your console did go boink, then I've heard that MSFT's repair service has been averaging a little over a week for the time between the console leaving your house to it's return to your doorstep.

-I haven't heard anything substantive in the rumor mill that MSFT is planning to bring out a BR player for their console. It seems likely that MSFT is much more interested in furthering video downloads. There are very strong rumors that Netflix is partnering with MSFT to allow streaming of Netflix Online to 360s.

- The meta-game. The pursuit of achievements can be a lot of fun. Think of it like aiming for the high score back in the days of arcades.

- Most importantly, buy the games you like. Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are Dead Rising and Viva Pinata.

8. Arrqh

They've done that already. The CPU in any 360 of any type that was manufactured after, say, September is going to have the cooler running 65nm chips as well as a few other improvements in the heatsink design. The next hardware revision is likely to do the same for the GPU but the biggest source of failures... the RROD... was because of the CPU failing (in a way that was much more complicated then most people realized).

9. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

PSN will match Xbox Live Gold in features by the summer is over. A lot of PS3 games have the option of using dedicated servers unlike the laggy shit which characterizes most listening servers.

As he said it's a bonus feature. Not crucial but still good to have. I use the browser from time to time.

10. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Sony's treatment of Home isn't exactly the most awe-inspiring thing in the world. It's been delayed for awhile now and no one seems to have any idea how well the ideas will work in the real world. Until it's actually out and we know how well it all works in reality, Xbox Live trumps it.

I'd be rich if I had a dime for every time Sony promised something was "on the way" and would wow us all and wound up completely underdelivering on it.

11. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went with Xbox 360. Cheaper, better games, (I can also get it modded ;) )

Also I hate Sony with a passion in terms of consoles.

12. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From an online gaming point of view the most important thing is not gazillion social network features which is fine and all as long as the backbone remains sound. While Xbox live does support dedicated servers however very few developers have chosen to use it for the reason that MS likes to charge a shitload of cash for it. Unlike the case of Resistance and Warhawk (there are tons of large/free high performance dedicated servers for those 2) the online performance of Halo 3 and Gears was rather unpleasant due to the incessant lags of all the listening servers (P2P).

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  13. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Commander Red Shirt

Heres why you should get a 360... forget the ps3

- More games!
    - superb customizable interface
    - communicates with Media Centre OR media player 11
    - stream divx files off your PC (based on above)
    - 1000000 x better controller design
    - Rarely experience issues with xbox live
    - rent movies from xbox live (HD as well)

In my books there is no reason to get a ps3... in 1-2 years BR players will be 150 bux...

14. rType

rType Commander

^ I stream media from my PC via PS3 all the time. :confused:

Also I much prefer the PS3 XMB interface to X360's interface.

15. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

360 all the way. If you are late to the current generation, then there are dozens of high quality games that are under 20 because the 360 has been out for longer and has alot of games. I have the 360 and wii and 52 360 games and 16 wii games. The main reason I chose the 360 (bought it the month the PS3 came out) was game price. If you need a quality racer, get Test Drive or Forza for 20. If you need a shooter, get perfect dark for 10. Want a platformer, get kameo for 10. Want some space combat, get Star Trek for 20 or Project Sylpheed for 20. Want 3rd party GTA like action... get Saints Row, Dead Rising or Just Cause for 15. And RPG wise, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms are all under 40 and are all good. The 360 has so many more classics at this point and as a late comer, that should be the driving factor. If you don't own an original xbox, the backwards compatibility matters.

16. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? I'm as big a 360 fanboy as there is, but the 360's interface is not customizable at all, unless you count the same background image on each blade and tacky color schemes for the blades themselves (default, smoke and carbon are the only ones that don't make your eyes bleed).

For the OP, since you're not a movie buff, it's all about the games. Currently the 360 wins hands down in that department. Both systems have exclusives so those should be what tips the scales one way or the other for you.

17. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Have they released a X-box 360 yet that will not red ring of death?

Haven't heard of many PS3's dying a premature death.

18. Arrqh

Of course some PS3's have died, as have some Wii's. It's the nature of the consumer electronic business.

In any case, the failure rate of the 360 is certainly improved now and it probably wasn't as high as you think it was in the first place. I'm not saying it wasn't a problem, because it was (my first 360 died after less then a year) but the failures were definitely in the minority of units.

19. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Ignore the fanboy stuff on both sides - they're both solid systems. It's basically about the games (as others have said, look at the game library and upcoming stuff for exclusives on each side). If you want a Blu-Ray, obviously that's a plus for the PS3. Overall, the 360 is cheaper, which is a plus if you're on a budget.

20. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I got an Xbox 360 and I love it. I have a friend who shelled out big bucks for a PS3 and he doesnt like ti too much.