Should AGT be "redone" partially (cast-wise)?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Malleus, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Folks, I have often wondered about episodes in any sci-fi show where they depict older versions of standing characters. In no case so far have actors returned to reprise those roles later on.

Out of curiosity (especially if TNG gets "remastered"): would it be a good or bad idea to "redo" part of AGT cast-wise, bringing back the cast as they are now? I know that the fictitious "future" is set twenty-five years after, but fourteen years' worth of aging looks more convincing than all that makeup. I guess the same question applies to "Future Imperfect" (sixteen years into an alternate "future").

Thoughts?

[P.S. - The original episode would still be "remastered" on its own, and my idea for the two eps above would be for special presentations and DVD bonuses only.]

2. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. Just leave it as it is. There's no way they could recreate the sets and uniforms and film everything right. It would probably ruin the episode.

Plus in the 24th century people live much longer lives so 25 years then is probably closer to 10 today.

3. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wouldn't work in all cases... Spiner's WAY too old to play Data by now, and Data's supposed to remain unchanged in the future (except that gray streak he added).

4. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

^^^ I have often wondered, since Q is allegedly omniscient, why he didn't cast the "future" with all the FC and post-FC uniforms (at least in-fiction reasoning).

That would be going too far, of course.

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very true. The makeup may be less convincing than actual aging, but I think it works well enough and the performances more than make up for it. In particular Spiner's, as he's playing essentially a different variation of Data in each time period.

6. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No; they should instead redo the TNG movies so they're as good as AGT. ;)

7. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Winner! :lol:

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah. As good as AGT was the problem was that it set the quality bar too high and the movies couldn't match it.

Also, unlike the TOS movies there was no demand for TNG movies, especially with DS9 and VOY on the air. Homer had it right when he said "we're paying money for something we can get for free!".

9. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Endgame also used the FC uniforms for the future. So at some point between Nemesis and Endgame/AGT(I don't remember which one is "first") Starfleet will change to those uniforms. So Q was correct.

10. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

No - Endgame used a variant of the AGT uniforms. The FC uniforms seen there were worn by Starfleet HQ folks in the "present" (sending ships to engage the Borg sphere). :confused:

11. MadBaggins

MadBaggins Captain Captain

They can't re-do it, I think the actor who plays Q is dead now. :(

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

^Huh? John de Lancie died? I didn't know that. When did it happen? If it was true, but would have been all over all the myriad Trek sites.

13. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I've always thought the Star Trek movies didn't live up to the best episodes of the two series they were based on.

I can name at least five or six TOS episodes that were all better than any of the movies, and many, many more TNG episodes better than what we got in the movies.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well yeah, that and TNG had pretty much ended its story quite well with AGT, there really wasn't much need for the movies either. Maybe once the TNG crew were gone long enough that the audience would miss them, and also when there wasn't already an abundance of Trek on TV for the audience to see, THEN they could do TNG movies.

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

He made a typo, he was saying that the AGT 'future' uniforms are seen again in 'future' Starfleet a number of times in other episodes after All Good Things, such as 'The Visitor', 'Timeless', and 'Endgame'. So AGT's future uniforms are in fact canon consistent with all other appearances of this era on TV. Evidence suggests the FC uniforms will be phased out in favour of the AGT ones at some point.

17. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No-leave it as it is. It is a product of it's time, and should reflect that.

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

No, it should not.

19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can name better TNG twoparters. I'll go with one: The Chain of Command. That's a better, more intelligent, and more involving adventure than any single one of the TNG films. That's the kind of thing they should have aspired to be but didn't have the guts even to try.

Apparently in the films they could get bigger budgets and have more swearing; but at the cost of intelligence. Just compare Braga and Moore's script for AGT with their script for GEN - and both were written simultaneously.