Spoilers Short Treks 1x03 - "The Brightest Star" Promo

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Q2UnME, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like they finally spent some money on sets for Short Treks. I wonder if the latter two episodes are the ones with new sets because they had already begun filming Season 2 by this time?

Hard to tell anything about the plot at all from this teaser. Seems as though Saru joining Starfleet might have violated the Prime Directive however.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was implied in Season 1 as well.

Doug Jones said we'd get to see Saru's homeworld in Season 2, so it might be reusing sets from that, or they were made for this first but were going to use them for S2 anyways.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Mirror Mirror likes this.
  4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy cow!

Strange aliens! Weird civilisation! Unknown alien planets!
    That almost looks like... Star Trek! That I live long enough to see that on DIS again! I'm overjoyed!

5. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I have been looking forward to this one. They look like a pre-warp civilization, but it could be split with another race owning and controlling his world.

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

an unexpected journey you say?
    [​IMG]

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Feels tense, tribal, like an enemy is coming down.

About to harvest.

Aeolusdallas and seigezunt like this.
  8. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

The ship at the end looks distinctively non Federation. I think it's probably the predator species.

If the Kelpiens evolved on an isolated continent or island or crater, it could explain the dramatic difference in technology between the two species. They could have just never solved the language barrier, like how humans and humpback whales on Earth. Some cultures had been known to hunt whales. Maybe the dynamic is similar.

How would the Prime Directive apply if a planet submits an application to be a member world, and the starship captain sent to investigate discovers this? The episode kind of writes itself.

9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda get vibes that there was some type of religious sacrifice going on. Perhaps the predator species are viewed as gods by the kelpiens.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully we get to see the kelpian predators.

11. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Abe´s... I want to say Saru´s Oddysee... I am looking forward to this like no other, becouse it´s about certain piece of worldbuilding that I missed in season one.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Kelpien's are so fucking delicious, it's possible that they have been farmed as food since before they were sapient, all across the galaxy.

On the Stargate model, they could be left alone for hundreds of years before a massive harvest, and then they are knocked back to the stone age. Approaching the atomic age is probably when it's time start pacifying the Kelpien colonies, because you don't want them to accidentally wipe themselves out before you can Kentucky fry half of them.

I wonder if it's possible for a warp capable race to quickly regress to prewarp on purpose, adjusting the zeitgeist so that aliens become fake news, to force Starfleet to "defend" them, or ship out?

13. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest disappointment about this short is that it's not an entire episode, bust just 15 minutes....

So far, honestly, I liked each of the Short Treks a great deal more than any "real" episode from season 1 ("Lethe" excempt).

RedAlert and Spaceship Jo like this.
  14. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saru gets his Moana moment. I wonder if he'll sing a space version of "How Far I'll Go"?

saddestmoon and seigezunt like this.
  15. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That might be a good sign for season 2...maybe?

Rahul likes this.
  16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this is the Short Trek I'm looking forward to the most. Originally I thought Short Treks were going to be used to fill in gaps and get backstory on our characters and then Calypso happened and that took me off guard (I liked it better the second time I saw it, but I feel like it's one I don't need to see again), so this one looks like it's getting back to Suru, and I liked Suru as the season went on. Hopefully it's good and interesting.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're going to learn more about his species in Season 2 as well IIRC.

18. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't even register there is a video on that website so gotta wait for their Twitter to see this :(

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In what way? :confused:

Even if the Kelpiens aren't warp capable, the predators probably are, so Saru's people are at least aware of other civilizations.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Kelp is being farmed, then that world has been annexed.

Kelpiens are 8th class citizens (slave/food) of whichever empire planted a flag on their planet, and has a massive space navy floating about to protect that flag.

"Legally" Kelp doesn't belong to the Kelpiens, like the French were occupied by the Nazis, or the Bajorans were occupied by the Cardassians.

It's not fair, but you may need an army to convince the fairness of the issue to the oppressors, and free the unfairly oppressed, if you're willing to pay the "price" to see that fairness through.

It really depends if a few marauders in 3 ships are farming Kelp, or if it is the Romulans, who have tens of thousands of ships and trillions of soldiers willing to defend their borders and property, to the death.

So, if it's the Romulans, or someone comparable to the Romulans, and not some small party of jerk pirates, then that is a purely internal matter, of a huge empire, which falls under the non-intervention policy mentioned during the Klingon Civil War, which is almost certainly the Prime Directive by another name.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.