Shocking! Who Runs Trek now? (NO JOKE)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by VulcanJedi, Sep 12, 2007.

1. VulcanJedi

VulcanJedi Captain Captain

2. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

We are doomed!

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Dear God in Heaven. It really is all over, isn't it. :(

Dare I say it...bring back the B's? God, I'm really depressed now.

4. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, cause he's never done anything successful in the science fiction genre! WTF?

5. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That explains it, Lucas and Abrams are conspiring to kill off the competition so they can bring us Star Wars 7: Gimme Money -- starring Jar Jar Binks. For that reason alone, everone must see trek XI 11 times with 11 friends. Together we can prevent Jar Jar! :klingon:

6. VulcanJedi

When I first heard that ILM was doing the effects I was like; oh cool, that's great.

I knew it was Lucas' company, obviously, but to see this very recent photo of the two of them chatting over dinner in a lovely restaurant somewhere in Hollywood, the reality hit; Star Trek is being run by George Lucas! (and JJ Abrams)

You may laugh; but it is true. The reality is that a movie or show like Trek is mostly if not 100% visual; which is fine by Mr. Lucas; that's mostly what he likes to do anyway.

Sure there are hundreds of employees at ILM and Abrams has people and etc; but when it comes down to it; it's about these two guys getting together and ultimately they call the shots.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Yeah but hopefully Abrams can write! ;)

Seriously, I'd rather have Speilberg pulling the strings, if this is true. He can lay claim to a bit more substance.

8. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, not really. Science fiction is speculation -- it's about choices and consequences. Not that the movie and TV versions don't have lots of effects, just that it's not the reason that the genre exists. I'd call a space movie that contains no speculation a Space Action Movie, not SciFi.

Yeah, and my speculation still stands. IF Trek is under the control of SW, I'd still suspect this is about lessening the chances of competition. Star Wars is planning a TV series some time in the future. If Trek has a series too, it limits the potential audience. I'm not sure exactly how much room there is in the "guys in space" genre of Science Fiction TV. I think it's somewhat limited -- I doubt there's room on TV for Chewie AND Spock.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Not in the same shot, anyway.

10. VulcanJedi

I'm all for a good story; well written dialogue. But, the more I learn about film; studying Hitchcock and etc.; it all comes down to the execution; which is visual.

I mean how many terrible movies have we seen based on great books? A lot.

My point is that often times these effects houses end up telling a story too, they end up making the decisions in how a scene plays out. Which could affect the director's decisions and even the writers.

When you couple that with them sitting down at a table together recently; it could go further.

11. vtcrusade

vtcrusade Lieutenant Red Shirt

But there's ALWAYS room for a "Chewie Spock" dessert made from delicious Jello gelatin :lol: (Sorry just couldn't help myself)

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

"Mr Solo, allowing the Wookiee to win would be illogical".

13. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Batman would beat them both... if he had enough time to prepare.

15. Who_Trek

Who_Trek Commander Red Shirt

EyalM -- That's so funny! Lol!

16. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Star Wars vs Star Trek movie from hell will finally get made, causing the internet to explode.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Lucas is not a great actors' director, nor is he particularly skilled with dialogue, but the man is very good at conceptualizing stories and with the technical/visual aspects of filmmaking. There are many worse people out there to have running your franchise.

18. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

With a cameo from Jack O'Neill.

19. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

So... that pic proves.....what, exactly? Lucas is "running" Trek?

Oooookay..... :wtf:

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Er, not really. ILM has been hired to do the visual effects. They're working for a client, Paramount Pictures. It's no different from hiring a lawyer in that regard.

And for the record, ILM did the visual effects for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek: The Next Generation: "Encounter At Farpoint, Parts I & II," Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek: The Next Generation: "All Good Things..., Parts I & II," Star Trek Generations, and Star Trek: First Contact, in addition to having built the model of the Enterprise-D used throughout the first three seasons of TNG.

Does that mean that George Lucas was running Star Trek from 1982 to 1996?