Ships of the fleet

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by fishingforships, Nov 13, 2009.

1. fishingforships

fishingforships Lieutenant Red Shirt

Way out in the Delta Quad, you know Missouri
    Ok guys, I've got to get some more background on the Nova class. You see it in one episode of Voyager as a lightly armed science ship, but in an episode of Enterprise when crewman Daniels takes Archer to the Enterprise J you see what looks like a modified nova in battle. That seems like a long time for a ship to stay in service, constantly upgraded.:confused:

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Of course, when Daniels is involved, we might be talking about temporal mischief that would bring ships from all eras to fight against the temporally flexible enemy...

I'd say Nova is distinctly a late 2360s or early 2370s design, from the same school of shipbuilding as the Sovereign. If it's brand new then, it's quite plausible to still have it in frontline service in the "Endgame" future. The combat prowess the tiny ship showed in "Endgame" is probably no indication of anything, because even Admiral Janeway's shuttle could give a bloody nose to two giant Klingon battlewagons. Federation technology at time supposedly was simply too superior, machine guns against sharpened avocados or something like that.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever been hit by a sharpened avacado? You wouldn't be so flip if you had, lemme tell ya!

4. fishingforships

Janeways shuttle was rather advanced though, it had exoskeleton shielding and looked close to the same size as the Delta Flyer- which is classified as a heavy fighter- and being an Admiral you'd think she'd have access to all of the experamental toys. And let's face it, the Klingons arent the sharpest tool in the shed

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The shuttle was battleship-proof with armor; Kim's ship seemed to be battleship-proof even without. Or then the Klingons withdrew at the mere possibility of Kim deploying his armor, which might be standard Starfleet gear at the time. Certainly Kim's guns seemed to be stronger than the puny looks of his ship would indicate, though - small Starfleet vessels have never had such effects on big Klingon ships before.

Probably Starfleet had access to Borg technology in that future, perhaps even thanks to Admiral Janeway's original homecoming. Or then they had made some other sort of breakthrough. Whatever happened, it completely screws up our attempts at analyzing the role of the Nova class (or its Rhode Island variant, with the different bridge and impulse engine and other detail) in that alternate future...

Timo Saloniemi

6. fishingforships

I'd like to lean more toward the Borg influence, given Seven's knowledge of thier tec. And you know once they got back to the alpha quad the federation's geeks picked her head apart. They would be by far the most superior force in the quadrant. I lost you on the Kim vs. Klingons, was that in the finale?- I only got to see it once-

7. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Kim's Nova class 'Rhode Island' was firing at 2 Klingon Negh'Var class ships.

In fairness, we only saw some explosions on their upper hulls, but no actual reported damage.

Although ... I wouldn't be surprised if Federation technology essentially surpassed the Klingons (or just perhaps ships belonging to that particular house).
    They are made up of 150 memeber races.
    It stands to reason they have an edge in versatility and realization of ideas ... at an exponential rate no less.

And to top it all off, Voyager was back from being 16 years in the DQ.
    SF was busy analyzing and inventing new techs from those ... not to mention the Borg technology Voyager brought back.
    And also ... let's not forget the Cytherians from TNG.
    Highly advanced, and Picard mentioned that Federation scholars would take decades to analyze the knowledge they exchanged (it's possible some of those breakthroughs happened in the alternate future from which Admiral Janeway came).

Multiple possibilities to take into account.
    Still, the Rhode Island herself was there to distract the Klingon ships from firing at the shuttle to begin with, not destroy them.
    So in fact, while Kim's ship was meant as a distraction, it WAS a capital ship compared to Janeway's small shuttle, and would likely be able to hold it's own in battle.

8. Hatchet2k4

Hatchet2k4 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen ships continuing to be used well past their expected shelf life.. How many Mirandas, Excelsiors and Oberths have we seen well into the 24th century? It almost seems like Starfleet likes to stick to the tried and true, while at the same time pushing the tech edge with new designs to see what sticks.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm now going to design a ship that can fire sharpened avocados. :biggrin: :lol:

10. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Its what Nero's cluster bombs were filled with.

11. fishingforships

Kick off the Star Trek 2009 movie over here man, they have a forum for that.

12. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

And in that same Enterprise-J scene we see the Prometheus Class in that battle too.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I try not to think too much about the ships in the future battle in Azati Prime. Aside from the aforementioned Nova and Prometheus class, there's also a Klingon Vor'cha and several alien ships of the week from Voyager and Enterprise. They just threw together whatever CG models they had access to and showed them flying around for thrirty seconds with no regard as to how this might impact continuity or canon.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

They have a Voyager forum, man, which is where this thread should be. IDIC, man, IDIC.:vulcan:
    This forum is:
    General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

15. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

It is just more laziness on the part of the producers/modelers/imagers of the show.

You saw it a lot in TNG, DS9, VOY and somewhat in ENT.

They saw an easier and cheaper way to have a 'different' ship and just assumed the fans would be too dumb to notice. I hate when they do that. With both Fed and Alien ships.

16. fishingforships

I agree with you man, laziness by the producers makes us nuts go a little nuts!!!

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't really laziness in TNG or the early years of DS9 and Voyager. Back then they were using physical models, and those things cost a lot of money to build.

18. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

Then don't do it.

No it was laziness, no matter what they had to use.

19. fishingforships

They have a Voyager forum, man, which is where this thread should be. IDIC, man, IDIC.:vulcan:
    This forum is:
    General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, I'm here to talk about the Nova class Starship, It shows up In both Voyager and Enterprise its not restricted one series, although you do see more of it in Voyager. I'm interested in its specks and modifications over the course of time between the Voyager series and when its seen alongside the Enterprise J. I'm a ship nut and unless you can direct me to a forum set apart for discussing Star Trek vessels I believe {General Trek Discussion} Is the most likely home for this kind of thread, but I am open to suggestions Commodore.

20. fishingforships

This forum is:
    General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, I'm here to talk about the Nova class Starship, It shows up In both Voyager and Enterprise its not restricted one series, although you do see more of it in Voyager. I'm interested in its specks and modifications over the course of time between the Voyager series and when its seen alongside the Enterprise J. I'm a ship nut and unless you can direct me to a forum set apart for discussing Star Trek vessels I believe {General Trek Discussion} Is the most likely home for this kind of thread, but I am open to suggestions Commodore:techman:.