Shaw's 2016/2017 Calendar Art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

A little late for 2016... this is a quick-n-dirty side project making calendar desktop images from some of my composite art. I was actually making these for myself (as my wife wants me to keep better track of what day it is), but I figured I'd share them. They may not be Ships of the Line quality, but hopefully you guys will find some of them interesting/enjoyable.

Here are the 2016 images...

LordSarvain, BK613 and BillJ like this.
  2. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those are really good, Shaw. :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

Really amazing stuff when you consider that most-if not all-of those models are scratch-built. I especially like the TMP and Mike Minor nods. Definitely tempted to Kinko's these for my own wall. :hugegrin:

The only critique I would offer is a minor technical one: The depth of field in some images is off. That is to say, the DOF on one model doesn't play well with the DOF on another. The most noticeable example is the Feb2016 image, where the D7's aft portions are in focus and the forward hull less so, yet the more distant Ent is in sharp focus. This has the tendency to confuse our human eyes because we expect items we focus on IRL to be at the same distance. In this image, the Ent and back of the wing to appear to be at the same distance while the forward hull looks farther away.

Any way, hopefully a helpful suggestion and I look forward to the 2018 edition. :lol:

(This was a point hammered home to me by a photography professor in college; if you want a composite image to look like a single photo you need for the DOF to flow seamlessly from the lens to the horizon.)

Shaw likes this.
  4. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'll echo BK613 and say I love the Phase II model in the TMP poses.

Shaw likes this.
  5. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

Beautiful imagery. Thanks for including the Excelsior, I am honored sir.

Shaw likes this.
  6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks guys!

Yeah, some are a bit rough, but originally I was the only person who was going to see them.

The Excelsior would have shown up earlier, but the original shot has been the background on one of my systems for a long time.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very awesome :D

8. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not rough and your sharing of them is appreciated; the DoF thing is just one of those things that you can't unsee once you have learned to see it. :lol:

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

You could do your own photonovel with those.