Shatner's "The Captains" Documentary

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Terok Nor, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I watched most of this on Netflix earlier. It was going on a bit so I quit watching after an hour. Some interesting insights into the backgrounds of the actors and the struggles they faced in their personal lives working on their tv shows. I have to commend Scott Bakula for openly admitting Enterprise didn't work in the way the others did but what I found most interesting about the whole documentary was the fact Kate Mulgrew didn't know who William Shatner was:eek:

2. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

They left out Zapp Brannigan though.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoyed the expanded version too.

4. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

it's crazy the hours that go into an ~40 minute episode.

5. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, I didn't really know who William Shatner was either. I had heard of him but had no idea what he was known for.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed it. Shatner's way of questioning was quite something, really getting to the core of things. I liked it.

What I found interesting.... During his interview with Kate, they adres how hard it was for her as a single mother doing a show like this, and that he couldn't understand how it affected her relationship with her children. Earlier, both Shatner and Bakula are talking about how doing shows like this had an impact on their marriages and their family lives, for both of them. After Kate's comment, a lot of people might take umbrage, and explain how they do understand.... Shatner didn't. He let Kate tell her story, because he understood it wasn't about him. It gave me a new level of respect for the man.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    JonnyQuest037 and Markonian like this.
  7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

He was in some old tv show and then did a margarine commercial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wf717fKFE

m.lp.ql.m likes this.
  8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Me, too, although I always had a strong, and admittedly fanboyish respect for him for a very long time.

The thing I was blown away by most was the epiphany he had when talking to Stewart about his self-perception of the role as a TV "icon" and how he never could wrap his head around the popularity of this little thing he did for a couple of years back in the 60's and how the fans perceived him as an actor and a person. Stewart convinced him to embrace that part of his life as well as the notion that he was (and is) a role-model to millions; that his career as it applies to Kirk should be cherished rather than feared or shunned in his own mind. I saw a light bulb go on inside him when he realized what was being told to him and recognized a genuine understanding of something that has eluded him for almost a half-century.

And, of course, the scenes with Avery Brooks were just downright trippy examples of epic funness and pretty philosophical in their own right...through jazz music, of course! :D

connor413, JonnyQuest037 and Longinus like this.
  9. Anders

Anders Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just watched it, and I had a lot of fun. Some wonderful people. Avery Brooks was so much fun, but also a bit out there. Mulgrew and Bakula just seemed like wonderful people.

10. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    He was the younger brother Alexei in The Brothers Karamazov. When I watched that about 20 years ago, and liked him in that part, I had no idea what else he'd done. (I hadn't seen TOS yet) I am glad it gave me fresh eyes on that movie.