Shatner;s new Book, just bought my copy. is good so far.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DumbDumb2007, Nov 26, 2007.

1. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

Just picked up a copy of the new Star Trek novel by William Shatner . Just read chaps 1 and 2 and flicked around the book a little. Even as a teenager ge got around a bit!
    The book looks like good reading.
    When will a sequel book to it be published or written ?

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

This is not a topic for the Trek XI forum, DumbDumb2007.

If you would like to chat about any of the Trek novels, you need to go to the Trek Lit Forum.

I am moving this there now so that you can get an accurate answer to your question. However, in future, it might be helpful to include the name of the novel to which you are referring in your post so that we all might be of more assistance.

Thanks.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens usually aim for one book per year. (They once missed a deadline on one novel when the Reeves-Stevens were busy with ENT.) In about a year, "Academy: Collision Course" will be out in paperback, as will a sequel in hardcover.

4. Geoff

Geoff Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^
    And as you'll discover on the last page of Collision Course, the next book in the series is titled Trial Run.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished it last night...it was alright, didn't like some of the explainations they used for bringing Spock and Kirk into Starfleet but enjoyed the Tarsus IV sub-plot since it made such a pyschological impact upon Jim's life at the period. There were a couple of dating errors in the book, they used 24th century dates for what should be clearly be 23th century dates so obvious editing mistakes (rare for a Trek Book I must say). The ending was the best part as there is a nice moment between Spock and Kirk as they enter the Academy for the first time. Trial Run should be interesting...

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anytime I read a Shatner Trek Book, I check my continuity expectations at the door.

First 5 Chapters I read in the store the other night seemed alright, so I'll probably pick this up in Paperback as I have done with the rest of his books.

7. Kokomo

Kokomo Commander Red Shirt

I am reading it right now, and I must say that I am really enjoying it. For me, the best part of the book so far is how all the characters are very "real" and authentic. They have flaws and so forth and that really makes it interesting to me. Definitely worth the purchase IMO.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah you really have to check your continuity before you read this book. Although in defense I suppose and this goes for the new movie as well, nothing before "Where No Man Has Gone Before" established Spock and Kirk meeting at the Academy or established how Spock chose to join Starfleet as opposed to the Vulcan Science Academy. I just didn't like the explaination in this version.

9. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I have taken the book out from the library. Not really into it yet. I've only read the first chapter. I will get through a bunch of it this weekend, I hope.