Shatner gives his opinion on Trek Continues

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Khan 2.0, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, this stems from STC using a screenshot of Shatner as Kirk from the original series to promote one of their kickstarter campaigns.

Shatner didn't like that his image was being used to promote something without his permission. And rightly so. After all, it could look as if Shatner was endorsing the fan production and its kickstarter.

Cutie McWhiskers, Harvey and Khan 2.0 like this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

4. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

BeatleJWOL and Khan 2.0 like this.
  5. Khan 2.0

ah I see. thought he might've meant in regards to the performances, continuing TOS to the letter etc (which seemed abit harsh considering they just about to end)

6. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Honestly, it seems rather heavy-handed and harsh on his part, as STC was taking screenshots from TOS and posting trivia tidbits... the kind of thing fan sites have been doing for years. He refers to a screencap showing four cast members as "my picture." Really? :wtf:

It's not like they were sneaking pictures or video of him at conventions and inserting them into the production itself, or something.

Kor

Philip Guyott likes this.
  7. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

Not at all - Shatner is still active in Hollywod, and still values his professional image. He's going to see anyone who uses that image (without his permission) to promote something he's not in anyway attached to himself (especially when they are asking for money) in a negative light.

His professional likeness/image is HOW he still makes a living, and he is exercising strict control (as any big name Hollywood personality would) on how that image is used, I like ST:C - BUT using any actual production stills from TOS on pages where they are requesting donations IS WRONG and unprofessional (and Vic is a voice actor and his fiancee is also a professional actor so he should know this aspect of the business that your professional image and what you associate it with is important) - and as Mr. Shatner stated - if it was one time, and after being told they didn't do it again, he might take a different view; but it's something they as a group have continued to do over the years; and obviously Mr. Shatner takes a dim view of such behavior.

danellis, dmac, Satron and 2 others like this.
  8. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it wasn't appropriate in the first place, as it could give the mistaken impression of some kind of official endorsement or involvement. But I thought TOS screencaps would be considered property of CBS, not the actors that may happen to appear in the screencaps.

Kor

Phoenix219 and Philip Guyott like this.
  9. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

With regard to stills - it's both (IE Both CBS and the actor can have a say in how they are used; that said, there's usually a contract clause that allows CBS to use them for promotional purposes as they see fit without have to consult the actor.)

10. Firebird

Firebird Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I certainly get where Shatner is coming from in the use of his likeness in STC's posts connected with their fundraisers. But at this point, since the show is about to end, and they haven't done any fundraising in quite some time, I think Bill could lighten up. His response on twitter was a bit dickish - consistent with some of his (or his social media intern's) behavior lately on there.

11. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If that was all it was then he might not mind. The problem is the post of trek trivia and his picture ALSO had a link to the fundraising campaign. That is where it crossed the line. That is using his image to try to get money for their fan production.

I like STC but in this instance they went too far.

12. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He is protecting his 'right of publicity.' You can't use somebody's image to sell something or raise money without their OK, even if they do not own that image and you do.

13. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Captain Captain

OK, perhaps in hindsight it would have been better to have posted the trivia question and picture separately to the link to the fundraiser, but this is hardly the first time fan productions have done this. I think Vic's response was adequate. Seen as they are finishing up their production and the fact Continues stopped doing this long ago, Shatter should lighten up. I like him as an actor, but he is not someone I would be interested following on social media.

14. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if he liked New Voyages?!

15. Khan 2.0

He's visiting the Cawley sets next year so imagine he's good with NV

Danlav05 likes this.
  16. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

I imagine he's good with getting paid to appear. Really, that's the only reason he'd go.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Gary7, lurok, Keeper and 8 others like this.
  17. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Actually, it doesn't matter whether STC is nearing the end or not in the world of IP and use of likeness.

I perform as Buddy Holly in tribute shows, and had to get express permission to use Holly's name and/or likeness for shows, promotion, etc. There were no exceptions. It's use of the likeness whenever you use it.

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  18. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding .... We have the winning answer ;)

19. Firebird

Firebird Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    The original incident with STC also happened a year ago, and Vic made amends with Shatner then. The way he's reacting, you'd think this incident over the picture just happened. I wasn't debating over the use of likeness or IP, I was pointing out his overreaction after this much time has passed.

20. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Captain Captain

So that the real reason why he does not like Continues, he is in the employ of NV! :lol: