Sharing the stage with Jeff Scott Soto...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by martok2112, Dec 17, 2014.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

As some of you may (or may not know) I am a lead singer in a club band at The Famous Door on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, La. Well....we had ourselves quite the night this week...

Wow! So last Monday night, we had a very special guest in our midst at The Famous Door.... Jeff Scott Soto, a lead singer with such musicians as Yngwie Malmsteen, Journey, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, just to name a few. He got up stage and sang with my band. We split the song "Under Pressure", with Jeff singing David Bowie's parts, and myself singing Freddie Mercury's part. (it was his night off :) ). I took video of him and one of his friends singing "Hotel California" with us, but it was done on my Android phone, and the sound quality is not so good (I mean, I did video it on the stage, while I was singing the lead.....Jeff, and his friend Nathan sang backups with my co-singer, Rebecca).

Jeff and Nathan sang "Hold the Line" by Toto, and Nathan sang "Alone" by Heart. And he sang it amazingly. I sang the backups, and it had been a while since I sang backup for that song. We also did "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake. Jeff and I sang the backups while he and Nathan also split the lead.

Jeff and co. were extremely cool, and it was an honor to share our stage with them. A great time was had by all....and we crushed the rest of the street that night, even after they left. :)

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is very cool martok2112 I love JSS, particularly his work with Talisman and W.E.T. He got a raw deal from Journey though, but he'll never have to work too hard to find a gig.
    I'm glad you got the chance to share a stage with him!

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's fantastic, lucky you!

And what a great song choice, I always thought Queen should have had him do their tour instead of Paul Rodgers. Apparently they had Soto on standby in case Rodgers flipped out, as things were not so great behind the scenes.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Thanks, guys. It was a great night. And given his credentials, it was a tremendous honor to share the stage with him.

I never did hear Queen with Paul Rodgers (who is one of my favorite vocal influences), but I totally get where you're coming from, Pingfah. Even though Jeff sang the Bowie lines during our rendition of Under Pressure (it fell on me to sing the Freddie lines since it was Jeff's day off...lol), I could easily see where Jeff would've been a great fit for Queen. :)