SGU Cast Photos

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Barbados Slim, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On Gateworld:

[​IMG]

Is Elyse really that tall? She looks over 6"0. I can't tell if it's perspective or photoshop or what. Alaina Huffman is about 5'10".

2. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I see how it is...keep the minorities on the edges, so they can be cropped out when their characters are killed off early on.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Regular Stargate Actors Who Have Left Their Respective Series:

Michael Shanks (returned)
    Corin Nemec
    Richard Dean Anderson
    Don S. Davis
    Rainbow Sun Francks
    Paul McGillion
    Torri Higginson
    Amanda Tapping

Yep, Stargate sure has a habit of killing off it's minority characters. In fact, none of those characters are dead for certain.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well...Hammond is. :(

And Beckett....was... :shifty:

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Damn. I can't believe I forgot that even for a second. :(

Replaced with a clone is not properly dead. This is Sci-Fi!

Seriously, I'd argue that Beckett is a sign of the Stargate writers' cultural ignorance (the flag on his uniform being the main problem) but racism ? Not seeing it.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stargate always has the stiffest promo pics.

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Sometimes I forget it's not obvious when I'm kidding online.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I apologise then, there have been a lot of comments like yours lately from people who, unfortunately, meant it.

10. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

What's with the jackets? Are they actual US military issue?

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No more than the ones in Atlantis were, I imagine.

12. cultcross

Well true, but given that was a deliberate, IOA joint international/civilian mission, it made sense they'd tone down the US military aspects.
    I just assumed we'd be going back to the SG-1 semi-realism for the military personnel in Universe. I know even SG-1 made it up a bit as they went along (the outdated jackets, etc) but I was just wondering what the origin was of this SGU black jackets.

13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Some of it looks real, like the guy wearing the Marine digi BDUs. Some of it is fake though, like those guys wearing pseudo futuristic looking Air Force blues.

Even the digi BDUs look a bit off, since it looks like its ACU colored. I don't quite get why they just don't go into a PX and pick up a couple of actual uniforms. It would probably be cheaper and look more authentic at the same time

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Personally, I don't want to see civilians wearing uniforms of any kind. For missions they should wear practical outdoors clothing. USAF personnel should wear the appropriate uniform.

It always bugged me when I saw a bunch of scientists on Atlantis walking around wearing brightly coloured, tight fitting clothes. They're supposed to be the best and brightest, how does making them all dress alike do anything to help them ?

I imagine, though, if they asked the Air Force would provide them with all the correct uniforms they want.

15. cultcross

Part of the issue is that real uniforms, while being technically the most correct choice, can look silly or dull as standard costumes for an ongoing series. SG-1, for example, switched from the shinier nylon finish jackets to cotton olive drab jackets after a couple of episodes because they were easier to hide Vancouver rain with and didn't reflect studio lights as badly. The realities of cinema sometimes limit the realism of military uniform.
    The Atlantis jacket was more obvious - simply a way to distinguish Atlantis from SG-1 at a glance when channel hopping, the same reason the Simpsons are yellow. With neither parent show still on the air I kind of wish they'd goen back to more realistic BDUs and so on for Universe, but as long as they don't start doing stupd things like Vala's 'hot chick' uniform variant I'll be OK with whatever they go with.

16. Broccoli

The first couple of years were not too bad. They seemed like decent work clothing that was functional and comfortable with only a dash of Star Trek thrown in. The later switch were a little too Star Trek for my tastes.

The black ones seem to revert to a more realistic uniform for a modern-day fictional organization.

I liked Vala, but that bugged the hell out of me so much.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Could it be? no more airbrushed to death cast photos? time will tell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The civilian uniforms were just dumb and unrealistic. I know some very smart people who have turned down better paying jobs because of dress codes. McKay, Zelenka etc are scientists, not soldiers.

I'm not so sure I understand what was so "hot chick" about her uniform, but modifying her clothes would not exactly be out of character for her, would it ?

19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

We have to assume that the Expedition thought they'd be meeting Ancients there, or their descendants, so the civilian uni's weren't out of place. But once regular contact with Earth was established, keeping them felt kind of dumb. Since Stargate has always prided itself on taking place in the here and now, not letting the civilian contingent walk around the city in regular clothing was a missed opportunity to further the present day heroes motif, not to mention the nice contrast to the futuristic setting of Atlantis.

20. Broccoli

She just seemed way more "exposed" (for lack of a better word). And while it wouldn't be out of character for her to adjust her uniform, she is now working for the USAF. Landry should impose the uniform regulations.

It just seemed like a lot of things let slide (in universe) when it came to Vala.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009