SF/F Characters with Disabilities

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 6, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching the Paralympics a lot over the past couple weeks, and I've really enjoyed them. They also got me thinking about the different characters with disabilities we've seen in Sci-Fi and Fantasy over the years. So who are you favorite disabled characters in SF/F?
    Mine:
    Geordi La Forge (blind)
    Barbara Gordon/Oracle (paraplegic)
    Charles Xavier/Professor X (paraplegic)
    Luke Skywalker (arm amputee)
    I know there have been others over the years, but those are the ones that first come to mind for me. There was one other I thought of, but I'm not sure if you would count her as disabled. Ana Marie/Rogue from the X-Men seems to me like she could be disabled since her mutation prevents her from being able to touch other people (or at least did, I think I remember someone saying she had her powers under control now).

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

My namesake from Doctor Who surely counts as would Captain Pike, Professor X, and Doctor Scott.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

pretty sure there was an episode of DS9 that delt with a paraplegic woman who Julian was trying to cure...

I don't remember the specifics, only that she had to have a pretty much 'zero gravity' room for quarters, and a wheelchair to get around the station... been a long time since i've watched early DS9 though, so i could be mistaken

M

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

She wasn't disabled, she was perfectly normal for her species. She struggled in a different environment but that is a question of fitness for purpose not disability.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Daredevil, of course.

And the X-Men's Cyclops is unable to turn his power off and is pretty much dependent on the ruby quartz visor to be able to function. I'd say that counts.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see

Daredevil - Blindness
    Hawkeye - Deafness (for a while at least)
    Echo - Deafness

7. Methos

ahh sorry, just been a while since i've seen that episode, i only remembered bits of it

M

8. Davros

If being stupid counts as a disability then I would have to mention Philip J Fry

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gah, I can't believe I forgot about Pike and Davros. Who's Doctor Scott?
    I forgot DD too.:scream: I never really thought about Cyclops, but yeah if we count Rogue, then he would count too.

10. Methos

Doctor Mid-Nite... blind, introduced way before DareDevil...

Cyborg... Victor Stone from DC... Not sure how much of his body is missing in current continuity, but in 90's version he was missing at least 60% of his body...

Not sure if Aquaman still has a hook or 'magic hand' nowdays... but he had it cut off in the 90's.

Pretty sure Jericho (Teen Titans) was mute... or was at some point anyway

Could always consider Batman as well... from the Knightfall arc... where he was a paraplegic for about a year...

M

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Dr. Miles Hawkins from M.A.N.T.I.S. (paraplegic).

John Locke from Lost (paraplegic before the Island heals him).

Gary Bell (autism), Erin Way (can't retain long term memories) and Anna Levy (severe apraxia of speech and body movement) from Alphas. Initially, all the characters had frequently severe negative side effects to their enhanced abilities, but that's been less of a problem for some as the show has gone on and their skills have advanced.

Jason Stryker/Mastermind(sort of) in X2 who is confined to a wheelchair and mute after a lobotomy.

A bunch of veterans in Starship Troopers who were missing limbs (that were replaced by cybernetic ones) or had other combat-related ailments, including Lt. Rasczak, the recruiter, and the blind teacher played by Rue McLanahan.

Elijah Price (Mr. Glass) from Unbreakable (Osteogenesis imperfecta or Brittle Bone Disease).

Steve Austin and Jamie Summers --The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman respectively-- both lost limbs and an eye and ear respectively in accidents before having them replaced by cybernetic implants.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If superhero secret ids count, Don Blake and Freddy Freeman were disabled (leg injuries).
    Nick Fury is blind in one eye
    The Doom Patrol's Chief is in a wheelchair. Not sure of the nature of his injuries.

13. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

In Heroes, Emma was deaf and Daphne had cerebral palsy so couldn't walk without her power.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

• Darth Vader is a favorite I love to hate. (iron lung)
    • Back in the day, I was a Professor Bergman fan. (artificial heart)
    • Paul Atreides (blind from Dune Messiah on)
    Others already mentioned:
    • Christopher Pike (beep beep)
    • Professor X
    • Geordi
    Honorable mention to:
    • Dr. Miranda Jones (blind)
    • Riva (deaf)

15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miles Vorkosigan from the Vorkosigan novels has a host of medical difficulties, including extremely brittle bones (requiring surgery for replacements to be able to walk) and in later life suffered from quasi-epileptic shock. It'd be fair to say that medical themes in particular are a recurring idea in those books, and his physical issues are a constant.

Joker in the Mass Effect series of games also had brittle bones.

Since he's so abnormally stupid he doesn't have brainwaves that most all human and animal life and some plants possess... yeah, he may arguably count.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

You could add "no legs" for Vader.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah. Probably should have added "etc" to Vader. I just went by what was immediately apparent.

18. Davros

Former professor and mentor to Brad Magors and Janet Weiss from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I forgot Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones (or that no one else has mentioned him). I wasn't sure for a while if little people were considered disabled, but there have been several little person swimmers at the Paralympics, so they are.
    And of course Vader and the Alphas characters would go on my list too. I forgot about the fact that they have had so many people on Alphas who's powers' disadvantage lead to a disability.
    Ok, I know I said favorites, but I think we can just open up to a discussion of the topic in general, without picking just our favorite characters.
    I also just remembered pre-timeline change Kevin from Eureka.

20. Davros

Elric Of Melnibone'