Contest: ENTER September Art Challenge - "TOS Anniversary"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Starscape, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

It seems that @Michael has been waylaid by Real Life, so with the month getting on and the theme already having been chosen via poll, I'll take it upon myself create the contest thread so that everyone has somewhere to post their final entries.

So, the Challenge Theme that topped the poll was:

TOS Anniversary
    Each September we celebrate "Star Trek Day", the Anniversary for TOS's first broadcast. To commemorate that your challenge is to create a piece of art inspired by The Original Series.

And let's see how we do with the standard rules this month.

The Rules
    • the artwork you submit should be created during the month of the challenge
    • only one final image can be submitted (although it may contain multiple views)
    • your final entry should be posted in this thread (although dedicated WIP threads are appreciated)

The winner gets to sport the "Art Challenge Winner" banner below their name for the following month and has the honour of hosting October's challenge, the theme of which will be chosen via a vote, here.

You have until the end of the September 30th to post your final entries in this thread. Please ask if you have any questions or if you need a little extra time.

Good luck and have fun! :bolian:

(P.S. @Michael let me know if you want me to do the voting thread, too. :) )

Michael, Orac, MisterD and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Thanks for doing this, @Starscape :)

I'm just giving this a little bump to get it near the top as a reminder because, after everything that's happened this month, I for one had almost forgotten I ought to be working on some sort of Trek Art Challenge!

Starscape likes this.
  3. Starscape

Yeah, I'd had a fair bit on my mind even before the events of the last couple of weeks. :borg:

So, I think I'm going to have to lower my ambitions for this challenge (I had started working on a 3d model) and find an idea I can finish quickly.

Anyone else working on an entry?

Cyfa likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Thanks SO much for getting this going, @Starscape! I have indeed been a bit unlucky this month, both with work stuff as well with my health. Had a short stint in the hospital because of kidney stones, which I can't recommend. ;)

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ouch. I'm glad you're feeling better!

6. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm working on something but I'm waffling quite a bit on what I wanted to do.

Starscape likes this.
  7. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

I will enter something, but I have no idea what its going to be yet.

Starscape likes this.
  8. Starscape

No problem, @Michael . Hope your recovery is going well.

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I'm working on something too, but just in case I get waylaid before the end of the month, here's a little something from this afternoon's wander on the beach:
    [​IMG]
    [I made this from old sea-worn bits of roof tile - probably from the Overstrand Hotel which burnt down in 1947, then fell off the cliff in the early 50s]

P.S. I hope your recovery is going well, @Michael?!

10. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Nice. :mallory:

And @Michael : get well soon!

Cyfa likes this.
  11. Michael

Thanks for the kind words and well-wishes, all! You guys are the best. I‘m much better now, although I‘ll have to make some changes to my diet and eat healthier. Anyway, I hope I‘ll be able to enter something this time. This weekend I‘ll be at Destination Star Trek in Dortmund. Maybe I‘ll get some inspiration there. :)

Santaman, Starscape and Cyfa like this.
  12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Dortmund? Bist du Deutscher? Ich bin ein Nierderlander, lebe nicht weit von die Deutsche grenze. :D
    Blargh, my German writing sucks.. ye gads been ages I tried that..:crazy:

13. ashleytinger

Blarg. Might be a late night post tomorrow at this rate.

14. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm entering this doodle..
    [​IMG]

Cyfa, MisterD and Starscape like this.
  15. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

This is supposed to be Gene Roddenberry in case the writing is indecipherable.

The title is: Man capable of invisioning a future that is not a dystopian nightmare AND makes suscessfull science fiction franchise out of it, smirks at camera.

Cyfa, Orac and Starscape like this.
  16. Starscape

Waltz's in late... :whistle:

I wasn't satisfied with any of my attemps alternative ideas, so I tried to think of simpler ways to render my unfinished model. And came up with this:

[​IMG]

This is my (latest) interpretation of a TOS-era Miranda Class. No doubt you'll recall the Carolina was mentioned in the episode "Friday's Child", but never seen.

Anyone else have last minute entries coming? An advantage of voting for a theme is we don't have to worry too much about delaying the poll thread for a little while if we need to (as it won't impact the next contest). :)

@Michael, are you okay to create the voting thread or would you like me to?

publiusr, Orac, Michael and 1 other person like this.
  17. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Ooh, I like the Carolina, @Starscape! But then I like @Orac's fun doodle, and @MisterD's awesome Gene, too :bolian:

My intended piece is not going to happen, so my Engineering insignia will have to do.

Starscape likes this.
  18. Michael

Yes, I'll do that, thanks for asking! I'll give my own entry another couple of minutes and see if I can finish it and then I'll post the voting thread later tonight. :)

Starscape likes this.
  19. ashleytinger

Yeah definitely didn't get my idea done. :P

20. Michael

Hé, buurman! Hoe grappig. Ik ben zo gewend dat iedereen hier Amerikaans of Brits is. Je Duits is echt niet slecht! Ik spreek eigenlijk geen woord Nederlands; dit is allemaal vertaald met Deepl. ;)

Took me longer than I thought it would last night, but here's my entry. A bit on the sentimental side, if you know what it refers to …

Will post the voting contest now. The link to which will appear here shortly.

[​IMG]

Orac, Museum Andy, Kaelef and 5 others like this.