September 08 Challenge-The Saga

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Mistral, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

The Saga- One of my favorite episodes was “The Inner Light” because it spanned a whole lifetime in an hour. When I watched it I felt like it ran longer than it did. Same thing for DS9’s “The Visitor”. Both stories were epic, covering a long lifetime. They created the sense of a passage of time and yet they were complete in and of themselves. Create a time-spanning saga. You have 20,000 characters-which is the max for a single post. If it runs over into a second post (like my “Lost Kingdom” story did in August) it is disqualified. Work within the frame available. Good luck!

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what's that in words?

and, you sir, are a complete bastard. i will not be entering this month.

3. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Given some of the old 'sagas', presumably if something suitably epic containing mythic themes happens, then it would count as a saga?

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Makes perfect sense to me, one of those episodes where we get to see a story unfold over a character's lifetime (or at least a long period of time)

I'm guessing DS9's Hard Time would qualify as an example as well, Mistral? What was O'Brien in prison for 25 years?!

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Come on, think how many people Bobbi could shoot in a lifetime! :devil:

Hell just off the cuff I can already think of a great long term sniper story.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

yeah, but i wanna continue "Unexpected"...

although, i suppose i could make it a 'saga' about Tom's life and how he winds up in the Terran Resistance and then do the actual mission in a third story or something...

7. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

^See? Now you're talking.

Interesting challenge, Mistral. :techman:

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Like you said in your last month's challenge thread - take the challenge and twist it until you get to write what you want :)

I'm going to have to do some thinking...

9. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Interesting challenge.

Perhaps I could write a story where Captain Akinola is called in for an income tax audit.

Oh . . . it's just for one lifetime. Hmmm.

Never mind. I'll come up with something else. Gotta ponder this a bit.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a perfect way to continue where my last challenge left off...

Anyone up for more Ashley Turner??

11. Mistral

Hard Time would qualify. In a weird way I suppose Whispers would also. Rev'd Kathy-yes.

I just like grand, sweeping stories-it doesn't have to be a single character-I read a great story about the Hortas in one of the Strange New Worlds where they were tasked with protecting the Guardian over the centuries. It was amazing. I'm sure you all will blow my mind with your stories-good luck!

12. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I was thinking something epic like Beowulf. That ought to qualify. If I could just come up with a Trek Beowulf...

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager's "Blink of an Eye" would work too, right?? The doctor lives on the surface for years but it's only like ten minutes on Voyager.

14. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blast it! If only I had a character with an inordinately long lifespan that I could examine! Oh, well... there's always next month's challenge. ;)

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Well, this is a challenge that'll suit RobertScorpio all right!

Hey, Mistral, how come you got your story to fit in one post on the winning entries thread?

EDIT - don't mind me, I managed to look at the winning entries thread in between Mistral posting the two halves of the story!

16. Mistral

It would-and so would Living Witness. But I would prefer no one touch that particular episode-I have a large-scale project in the works that plays off of that. However-its a free country(Internet, whatever) so y'all do what you want. Beowulf , huh? Didn't Devil In the Dark play off of that tale?

Gibraltar-who's to say you don't have a character that it would work with? It doesn't have to be your main characters.........:cool:

17. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain, scans have confirmed that Mistral's sarcasm detectors are out of alignment! :lol:

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Geez, I might as well reenter my last entry, and we all see how well it worked out for me the last time...

19. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I've got an idea for an entry for this year, partly inspired by the Myriad Universe books that have been put out.

20. Mistral

I hope your entry is for this month-I'd hate to wait all year for a possible MU entry. I love that stuff!