Section 31: I hope it still happens.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by FredH, May 24, 2020.

1. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I realize I’m probably in a minority on this, but I hope the Section 31 series is still happening. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being pulled, given the lukewarm-to-negative responses it seemed to bring on this board, compared to the enthusiasm (which I share!) for Strange New Worlds, plus the difficulty of making anything in the current situation. But I hope not; there’s a lot of story potential in a show whose protagonists might embody, at different times, both the dubious immoral underside of the Federation and honest attempts to protect it. Something along the lines of Spooks/MI-5, as opposed to “hero spy” shows like Alias.

(Of course I’m also just greedy, always want more Trek than less, and would have been fine with Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Michelle Yeoh in Space Starring Michelle Yeoh in any event. Even if she never comes back from the far future, they can just clone her from stored DNA, since they knew how to do that in Enterprise.)

FanST, Lynx, Commander Troi and 9 others like this.
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I have no interest in the Section 31 show whatsoever and I hope they reconsider producing it. The idea of a show about a secret ops organization with no oversight just bores me. And I might be in the minority, but I don’t think Michelle Yeoh is all that, and I certainly don’t like her Mirror Georgiou character, especially as a lead.

Camren, kkt, Lorcan Kelly and 4 others like this.
  3. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

As a fan of The Americans, I hope it still happens, but even if they chose to use S31 within Strange New Worlds rather than giving it its own show, that'd be ok. S31 was interesting in that role in other Trek series and could be used from time to time, rather than being its own show. Pike had interesting tension with the organization from the get-go in DSC.

Commander Troi and Lord Garth like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This board has no power, thankfully. If it did, nothing would get made.

Anything anyone here likes from Star Trek in the last 20 years, doesn't matter what it is, never would've got off the ground if the more vocal posters of this board had any say in it. "But Strange New Worlds!" Even that only exists because they put DSC in the TOS Era and had Pike take command for a season. "Another prequel!" and "Fanwank!" is what led to it happening. If they had their way, we wouldn't have gotten to the point where anyone would even be demanding SNW in the first place.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    FanST, jos3s, Commander Troi and 9 others like this.
  5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

FanST, Commander Troi, kkt and 2 others like this.
  6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um... Pass. The Pike show can gladly take its place.

8. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Bring it on. I want to see people complain about it while I enjoy it.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Cannibal Space Nazi Nerdrage in 5, 4, 3...

XCV330, Leto_II, PiotrB and 2 others like this.
  10. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    If a Section 31 series does get produced, it should be set between ENT and SNW, and fill in the gaps in Trek history.

11. Lord Garth

I agree and I disagree at the same time. I'm hoping it breaks certain people of the ridiculous notion that "I need to watch it all!" With so many other Star Trek series, they can sit this one out and just focus on the others. If they'll let themselves.

Sitting out a Star Trek series is easier than they think. I know because I did it with ENT.

Commander Troi and Qonundrum like this.
  12. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starring Michelle Yeoh as Captain Michelle Yeoh.

If we do get a Sectiom 31 series, I would wish it to morph into something like the Mission Impossible teams, and the (early) Men in Black movie/animated series. Good people working to protect the Federation to the best of their abilities. And yes having their own set of rules.

* spoiler about STD *
    Maybe have the actions of the Enterprise and Discovery crew at the end of STD season two weaken S31 leadership and result in a purge of S31 hardliners.

Which I think would be cool to see.

Returning S31 to the respectible organization it was during the majority of it's existance.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd enjoy a series centered on the demise of Section 31...

kkt likes this.
  14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Works for me, but you're forgetting it's a vehicle for Michelle Yeoh's Georgiou character.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I kind of hope it quietly goes away, but I'm not against the idea in general.

If I had me druthers, it'd be a show that has no direct ties to any other specific Trek show. No returning characters at all.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

Given that it's going to be a spin-off of DSC and they've said they're not going back, I wonder if it would actually take place in the 32nd Century? If it does, then Tyler won't be in it. (Thank God) And maybe people will be less outraged because if it doesn't take place in the 23rd Century or in the 24th/25th Century, then the Section 31 we see (no matter how it is) wouldn't actually be part of what most fans think of as "their" Federation. It'll be part of that "other" Federation, assuming it still exists, in the Distant Future. I get the feeling the V'Draysh will be pretty different.

17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not interested in Section31 at all. And, sorry to say, I don't think Michelle Yeoh is such a great actress. I'd rather have Starfleet Academy or a follow up to Enterprise about the Birth of the Federation in the style of The West Wing.

Lorcan Kelly and NCC-73515 like this.
  18. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

I can't say I've got any interest in a Section 31 show personally - the concept is fine for a few episodes but multiple seasons of it? Not for me.

Also (possibly an unpopular opinion) I don't really get the fuss/adoration for Michelle Yeoh - I can't see her as a series lead. I don't find her particularly enjoyable to watch.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  19. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    I think it would be useful to see how Section 31 contrasts with Starfleet Intelligence. Especially considering Section 31 refers to a section of the Starfleet Charter.

From a character aspect, it makes sense to send her back in time, since prime universe Georgiou’s time in Starfleet Academy occurs around the same time of the start of the Federation-Klingon Cold War. So anything that happens between the late 22nd century – when Georgiou’s parents would likely meet – and her time as captain of the Shenzhou should be fair game if the point is to explore the Georgiou character.

However, if she’s travelling back in time, I also don’t see why she couldn’t travel forward in time to see what was suggested below:

20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I also don't see the appeal of either a Disco S31 show or Yeoh in particular :shrug:

The problem is that the Disco version is indistinguishable from the 'regular' SI.

kkt, Cake, Lorcan Kelly and 2 others like this.