Secret Menu Items

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by galleywest, Sep 3, 2009.

1. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

My sister sent me this link to Mental Floss about infamous secret (sometimes not quite so secret) menu items. Oh sure, everyone knows about In-N-Out Burger, but I've been ordering the Cheesy Gordita Crunch for a long time--despite the fact that they discontinued the item ages ago. Curious, I tried it again today and lo and behold--they made it for me. I forgot to ask for the green chili sauce, however. I've also had the junior frosty from Wendy's (it really is the perfect size) and my father always gets the "senior coffee," which is just a small coffee at a discounted price (which, strangely, varies from place to place). I think you do have to be (or at least look) senior to get it, though!

Read the comments--there are some other pretty good suggestions for things you can order that aren't on the menu of some popular fast food and chain restaurants. I want to try getting the grilled cheese from McDonalds.

2. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw that list the other day. Was very surprised to learn that pizza subs aren't a menu item any more in the US at Subway! :eek:

3. galleywest

I remember them being there, but I guess I don't go to Subway enough to realize they were no longer offered...I always got the Cold Cut Combo, which I did not see on the menu last time I went. I wonder if they will still make it.

4. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ No cold cut combo, either?! That's my staple!

5. galleywest

I just went to the Subway website and it is there, so it must just be the Subway down the street from me. Hmm.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sometimes order off-menu, esp. if I know the restaurant well, though I must admit I would never have thought to try it at a fast-food joint! :lol:

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Local pizza place near my house will still make you a "gothic nightmare." It's from the menu from three owners back, you have to give them like two hours notice. Four feet across, edge of the crust is three inches thick, middle is almost six inches, takes two guys to carry it. And you need a station wagon or truck to get it home!

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

McDonalds has one called the "All American Meal" which hasn't been on the menu since the early 90s. But I can't seem to find what's in it.....even Google doesn't know....

9. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the junior frosty too - it really is the perfect size! Just enough sweet to kill the salt, but not enough to feel guilty about! :D

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I used to go to a sushi stand regularly where you had to ask for the ginger. The first time I asked for it, I noticed that the woman palmed it and quickly rushed it into the bag like she didn't want anyone to see it. I thought that was odd. Why would they not want people to know that they have ginger?

There's also Kernels, the popcorn stand. They don't advertize their grab bags. At least the ones I went to didn't.

11. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this is nationwide or not, but for the last 10 years or so the Wendy's around where I live sells a little coupon book around Halloween. It has 10 coupons for Junior Frosties and the coupon book is only $1. I don't buy them to give to the trick-or-treaters though. :devil:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It is my understanding (only because two of my best friends are obsessed with the Cheesy Gordita Crunch) that it is a seasonal item. The Taco Bells around here put it back on their menu for a limited time every year. However, there are other Taco Bells that continue to sell it even when they're not supposed to under the theory, "Hey, if we've got the stuff to make it, we might as well keep making it."

It really comes down to the decision of that particular franchise owner.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, secret menu items. That explains it. I'm going to go to BK and order a Hot Dog. :cool:

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

McDonalds' has grilled cheese, but it's REALLY gross,m just like all their other foods!

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I heard a while back that McDonald's was testing its own version of a croque-monsieur at certain locations in parts of the East Coast. The very idea of a McDonald's croque-monsieur sometimes keeps me awake at night.

16. galleywest

From the comments on the Mental Floss page:

"At McDonald’s, you can order the All American Cheeseburger Meal. It’s a full meal at 2 cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink. If you get it biggie sized, it’s enough for 2 people, and it’s around $5."

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

2 cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink is just a #2 value meal. At least around here it is. I've been to other places where a #2 is a double cheeseburger.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I still get the Rodeo Cheeseburger at Burger King (burger with BBQ sauce and onion rings) but they took it off the menu months ago.

19. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not really getting how that's a good deal though. Can't you order 2 cheeseburgers, a small fries and a small drink off the value meal for $4.00 all together? And if you biggie sized it wouldn't that still make it under $5.00? I'm no McDonalds expert (thank god) so I could be wrong, but it seems like you are actually getting less for your money with this meal thing.

20. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hamburger, fries and a coke. Seriously. I used to get that all the time. Not a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder ... a cute little hamburger.

ETA Another "secret" is at the Red Robin chain --- order any of their burgers "junior sized" and it's a dollar or so cheaper, plus a more reasonable size (probably 1/4-1/3 pound instead of 1/2 pound). Still comes with unlimited fries.