Season 7 :(

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by captainjellico, May 20, 2021.

1. captainjellico

captainjellico Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey, I've been re-watching DS9 for the first time in many years and have loved reacquainting myself with the series.

However, I'm currently halfway through season 7 and have been left thoroughly underwhelmed by recent episodes. I know it picks up towards the end of the season, but episodes like 'Prodigal Daughter' and 'Field Of Fire' have been a struggle to get through. Even the last romp in the mirror universe ('The Emperor's New Cloak'), which should have been a lot of fun, felt lacklustre and rushed. Unfortunately I attribute a lot of this to the ubiquity of Ezri Dax. I understand that introducing a new character requires a lot of exposition, but it really is at the expense of the main characters we love (O'Brien, Kira, Bashir, etc). I'm pretty sure that Armin Shimerman said something similar in an interview at the time. Ezri just isn't compelling enough to carry an episode, particularly after the magnificent Jadzia Dax.

But it's not just Ezri. Sisko has barely featured at all and he is what guides the show. I'm sure there hasn't been a single scene set in Ops since the opening of the season too. Come to think of it, the Defiant has barely featured either. All of the hallmarks which contribute to Deep Space Nine feeling like Deep Space Nine seem to be missing.

Has anyone else picked up on this during re-watches? I'm just counting down the days until I can get into the ten parter, as I know that doesn't disappoint!

Seven of Five, FanST and STEPhon IT like this.
  2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I found Ezri quite compelling. Field of Fire was interesting because of the transporter rifle tech that was really something new, and the twist that Vulcans can have psychiatric issues and even murder innocent people. Sisko's S7 role is mostly about finding out about his real mom, and while I found the episode quite stupid back then where he digs for a new orb and then covers it with sand again, only to then dig it out again, while having visions of being Benny again under a human Damar's care... I don't mind it so much anymore. He was torn between the prophet's influence and the wraith's influence, and him being the son of a prophet finally explained why he's the emissary.

FanST, Masiral, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ezri is one of my favorite characters and I was glad for her addition. I prefer her to Jadzia.

Grendelsbayne, Lynx and Spaceship Jo like this.
  4. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I like Ezri very much and I think she was a positive change for the series. I liked her episodes Prodigal Daughter and Field of Fire. (We didn't ever get to meet Jadzia's family, just the previous hosts.)

I thought Season 7 was very good, even if not quite as good as seasons 4-6. Why? Too much time on the war. After a while it's just the good guys and the bad guys shooting at each other and it's not that interesting any more. The Dukat downward spiral through Covenant and surgery to pass as a Bajoran and a relationship with Winn was just cringeworthy and ruined a great character.

FanST likes this.
  5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ezri got better as a character after they stopped forcing it. The whole business with Garak’s panic attacks felt contrived. And the whole “The killer is a Vulcan because the photos are happy!” thing was facepalmy.

But Siege is awesome.

6. fireproof78

Must be time for my unpopular opinion because I love Ezri and Garak's interaction. Such an honest challenge to her role and I found it so interesting and engaging at that psychological level.

Season 7 wasn't top notch, especially with all the story of the war from 4 to 6, but Dukat and Ezri as well as Sisko all had such interesting characters that I couldn't help but be entertained by the show.

kkt likes this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I detected no drop-off in S7 from the previous 4 seasons. When I re-watched the show for the first time in 10 years this past winter, I was braced for a weaker ride. It never came, and I really liked the final season of episodes.

FanST and fireproof78 like this.
  8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Things I liked about Ezri:
    * The concept. Normally, Joined Trills are carefully trained and evaluated. What happens when this doesn't happen?
    * The actress.

Things I didn't like:
    * Dax returning. First time Trek kills off a main character since Tasha Yar... and they promptly bring them back. Worst "just kidding" since Superman.
    * Sisko's rationale. Maybe DS9 needed a counselor... but did it need one who was more neurotic than her patients?
    * The timing. If DS9 had gotten an eighth season (and with no movies planned, there was no reason to end it), they could have developed Ezri more.
    * Ezri/Worf. Ick.
    * Ezri/Bashir. Yawn.

9. fireproof78

That's most counselors I work with :) I know I am pretty neurotic too compared to some of my clients.

10. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I don't see Ezri Dax as bringing back Jadzia Dax. They share memories but have very different personalities.

And echoing fireproof, some mild neuroses may make a better counselor. It might actually make them sympathize with their patients.

11. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

I really like Ezri Actually, I like her more than Jadzia whom I always find a little bland. Most of her lines are underplayed IMO. Ezri (the actress) puts more life in her role.

kkt likes this.
  12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've grown to like Ezri a lot over the years. Her moment in Tacking into the Wind when she is giving her honest opinion of the Klingon Empire was the moment I think I really finally liked her and it made me appreciate the prior episodes a lot more.

FanST, DonIago and kkt like this.
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Not saying I don't like Ezri herself, just the circumstances of how she appeared on the show.

14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

I do wish they'd managed a better death for Jadzia and a way for them to have a flashback or two of her during season 7.

15. tomalak301

Her death in Tears of the Prophets always bothered me. It just felt really anti-climatic, and this was during the time where Dukat became a one-demensional psychopath.

FanST and kkt like this.
  16. Swedish Borg

He stopped being a complex character after "Sacrifice Of Angels"

kkt and FanST like this.
  17. tomalak301

Yeah. Losing ones' daughter would probably do that, but it still diminished a great character, IMO.

FanST likes this.
  18. Swedish Borg

I agree. I liked him better (as a character) when there was more ambiguity in him.

FanST likes this.
  19. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 7 (and a lot of season 6 frankly) is not great. I hate what they did to so many of the characters (Sisko as part-prophet, Odo and Kira romance, Dukat made a 2D villain again, Bashir as genetically enhanced - ok, this one was late season 5, ruining Alexander's character...to name a few!).

I love season 1-4, and enjoy most of season 5. The last two years were a drop in quality - for me, I realise most fans seem to moan about the early years and worship the later seasons. But I have no problem with bucking the trend :)

I watched DS9 as it came out in the 90s. Perhaps my perspective would be different if I only came to it in recent years, or through streaming/binge watching.

Qonundrum likes this.
  20. fireproof78

I didn't watch DS9 first run, but slowly caught up on Sci-Fi channel over the years. As per usual, I like a lot of aspects others do not. Watching Dukat clutch to whatever bits of power he could, to the point of taking on the appearance of the Bajorans, and slowly losing his sense of self is interesting bit of character development. Ezri is fun, and I appreciate her relationship with Bashier. Bashier remains my favorite character and his growth makes early DS9 more interesting.

Qonundrum likes this.