Spoilers Season 2 Trailers, Previews, and Promos

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by KennyB, Jun 16, 2021.

1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Q's pin is not quite the same as his chain, but similar:

[​IMG]

Random_Spock and F. King Daniel like this.
  2. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Seven never having been assimilated would mean taking her away from a great many people that she's come to love and care about (ESPECIALLY Icheb).

Had she not been assimilated, she would've never met Icheb or Naomi Wildman.

3. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    If you want to look at it that way.

Did Romulans being taken in by the Klingons in AGT make the Klingons more nationalist, or make no difference at all?

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely not. The Orville is a fun little show, but the fact that it's written by a bunch of cishet white guys who are blind to the experiences of marginalized communities is painfully obvious. The decision to deal with LGBT issues by using aliens who are coded as gay is problematic -- why not just have some gay people on the show instead? There are only three black people in the cast, no Latinos or Asians -- the show is very disproportionately white compared to reality.

But frankly most damning of all, there's a lot of latent misogyny in The Orville. The show constantly slut shames Kelly, and gives a pass to some really toxic behavior on Ed's part. The worst example being when Kelly got a boyfriend and Ed literally started stalking them. And then, the writers had her new boyfriend defend Ed for stalking them, as though that behavior is in any way okay or acceptable! It wasn't like the show depicted him doing a bad thing and then said, "But that's bad" -- the narrative itself endorsed his stalking his ex.

I'm not here to make a big fuss about The Orville's problems. I mostly enjoy it. But it is way less progressive than it realizes, and there's a lot of misogyny there. Seth MacFarlane needs to stay far, far away from canonical Star Trek if this is the stuff he produces.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Guinan is still in the show this season, we haven't heard anything on that front since Patrick asked Whoopi to come on the show. I think?

Danja likes this.
  6. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

"So-called decline"? It bled viewers every year after TNG ended, long before Enterprise came along, and was so bad by 2003 that a licensee sued Paramount for running the franchise into the ground.

Much of the problem was for sticking to the same old tropes and "Roddenberry's Box" - there's a reason plenty of fans derided Voyager as "TNG-lite" and felt it completely squandered its concept.

It's one thing to prefer a series over another, but if you'd seriously take the likes of Precious Cargo over the likes of If Memory Serves, I'd suspect you're not making any genuine assessment of merit.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention playing off rape as a gag. Yikes.

8. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

That's one of the things done right on The Orville, they don't hit you over the head with their social messages. Subtlety is often more successfull in making people think about certain things. Painting Discovery in rainbow colors certainly doesn't win any points there! And frankly, we're talking about a small minority here ... why should they be in the center of every show that's on tv now? With all due respect and understanding for their problems in the real world, they are not the only ones with problems and shouldn't expect the rest of the world to focus solely on them.

Then that's the way it is! Do you expect the producers to cast actors according to their ethnicity just too meet a certain quota? Now, that would be racist!

9. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

I don't like The Orville that much, nor have I seen any episode more than once, so that I could substantively debate you on these points, but some of your trendy militancy comes off as a woeful misreading- I remember laughing at Ed spying on the ex because of how pathetic he was, combined with the comic timing and execution of the scene... in fact I recall a lot of times in regards to Kelly, Ed came across (intentionally) as pathetic, so perhaps you're misinterpreting, a bit too eager to find sins according your checklist. I mean, The Orville comes across as Disney compared to other McFarlane projects. Whatever, I wont' begrudge you the pleasure of such schoolmarm scolding- honestly I can see the appeal of hectoring secular Puritanism.

Oso Blanco likes this.
  10. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS once had an episode about how racism is bad with aliens who were black on the right and white on the left, and vice versa. So I'm really not here for the argument that old school ST was subtle.

And no, Orville is not subtle either. The Moclans are an incredibly obvious LGBT metaphor.

At least its cast isn't 80% white people.

They're not. But LGBT people are not "a small minority," and they have been systematically ignored throughout most of history. It is good and realistic that they have representation in many shows now.

That is not what is happening and I don't know why you would make a false claim like that.

No, but that's what happened on Orville: The creators were unconsciously more comfortable with a cast that's disproportionately white, so they cast white people. There's no other reason for such a large percentage of the cast to be white. It's not realistic that such a large percentage of the crew would be white.

Remember: Everyone race is equal. Therefore, all things being even, any random collection of people should be roughly proportional to society. If any one race is significantly over-represented, that means all other things are not even -- someone is rigging the game for that one race that's benefiting.

Anti-racism is not racist.

That is the intended joke. But that in and of itself is misogynistic, because it downplays how dangerous men who behave like that are in real life. "Haha, that's sad!" is a message that encourages the audience not to realize how scary that kind of behavior actually is. And then, several episodes later, the new boyfriend defends Ed for stalking her! He claims it's relatable!

There is a deep well of misogyny that runs all through The Orville.

Saying that a show shouldn't depict sexual harassment and stalking as harmless is not puritanism.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really a similar situation, given in AGT the Klingons conquered the Romulans, which makes them more expansionist.
    Four, if you count Jessica Szohr, who is bi racial.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think we're past the point where this tangent should be taken to the Orville forum.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Sometimes it is ... and people like you are not making things any better, you are making it even worse. But hey, a look at your avatar is all I need to stop that conversation right now ... do you even realise what that symbol means? Here you are talking about equality ... I'd be laughing out loud if it wasn't so sad!

15. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good question. I'm thinking that she's really integral to the plot and that may be why we haven't heard anything on that front.

Danja and Tuskin38 like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Sci just likes stars.

Communism (I assume that’s what you’re going on about) doesn’t have a monopoly on them.

Danja likes this.
  17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Alright, drop it. This is a friendly.

Danja likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be very surprised if Guinan isn't in this season at all. Alternate timelines, Q, it seems rather obvious she could make some manner of contribution to the plot.

Danja likes this.
  19. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

When Picard says, "Q", I can't help imagining Q saying, "Now pay attention Picard Alpha Tango. An ordinary comm badge. Tap it like *this*, and it will transport you instantly to any destination within ten sectors." "You mean like this?" he demonstrates while Q still has it in his palm. Q vanishes in blue light and quickly reappears. He's covered in baby Horta. Sighing, he snaps them off and hands PIcard, "Admiralty rank insignia. With Borg neural network technology. With these, from a distance you can read the minds of any attendee at official gatherings." "Do they have a profanity filter?"

Danja likes this.
  20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Her hair is black again, why wouldn't she be there?

Danja likes this.