Season 2 of Peele's Twilight Zone on CBSAA is up!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Romulan_spy, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So CBS All Access has season 2 of Peele's new Twlight Zone. For me season 1 was hit and miss. I've watched the first two eps of season 2 and so far it seems good. Episode 1 was pretty good actually. Episode 2 was ok.

Anyone still watching?

2. Romulan_spy

Ep 3 "The Who of You" was a pretty effective body swapping episode. The twist ending has some significant implications.

Ep 8 "8" is a pretty effectve horror story. It's a bit gory in places. The twist ending did not really work for me because the science is all wrong.

Ep 8 "A small town" was really good IMO. It felt very classic TZ too with the magical scale model of the town.

3. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I always cancel when their Star Trek shows end. When they start their next Trek series I will check out TZ.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen S2 yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Especially since all the reviews I've seen are saying that S2 isn't anywhere near as annoyingly preachy or "woke" :rolleyes: as S1.

5. Romulan_spy

I've seen every episode of S2 except #5 and #7. I would agree with the reviews. S2 is a lot less preachy and woke than S1. Some eps do have a "message" but it's not as in your face. S2 is more straight up horror/mind-bending stories with a philosophical message, much more like the classic TZ. Overall, I would say the quality of S2 is definitely better than S1.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, could you believe they had the nerve to include a story about a racist cop targeting a young black man or the plight of desperate immigrants? As if that has any relevance to anything going on in modern society! Why should you be forced to sit through a show that's always since its original run in the 50s-60s been about using scifi, fantasy, and mystery as a vehicle for social commentary on the issues of the day through allegories and parables? You couldn't possibly have known what you were getting into with that woke SJW Rod Serling, right? :rolleyes:

BillJ, Rincewiend and JoeZhang like this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Nothing wrong with messages. They've always been there, as they should be.

Just don't deliver them with a hammer. ;)

Side note: Does 1015 pop up again anywhere in S2?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  8. Romulan_spy

I don't think 1015 pops up in S2. If it does, I missed it.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Hmmm. Pity, I was kinda looking forward to an explanation.

Especially when 1015 drops multiple times in a single episode, like Nightmare at 30,000 Feet.

10. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, do.

That's how they get heard.

It's how TOS did it.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  11. Romulan_spy

Yeah, it is worth remembering that Rod Serling deliberately used scifi to get social messages around the censors of his day. If you watch the classic TZ, there are plenty of social messages that address issues of that day such as cold war paranoia.

Now, can we actually discuss the episodes themselves? I am eager to hear your thoughts on the episodes but I can't give specifics without spoilers. :)

Overall, I feel like S2 is much better than S1. Many of the plot twists are not really that surprising but the quality of the episodes is really good. They did shorten a lot of the episodes. Several episodes are just 30 minutes so the pacing is a lot tighter. And the suspense and horror elements are well executed in several episodes.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Better not watch the original Planet of the Apes, it's like ALL hammers.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was my biggest problem with season one. There seemed to be a lot of padding.

Farscape One and Romulan_spy like this.
  15. Romulan_spy

Yes, I felt the same way about season 1. They fixed that in season 2.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Sorry for the bump, but I found at least one 1015 appearance in S2. It's in the final episode, You Might Also Like.

(a character's home address is 1015 Fremont Street)

Romulan_spy likes this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh, and one more thing:

Was a good portion of "Ovation" seven shades of shit, or what?

Apparently this magic coin, which conveys instant adoration and fame, can be discarded at will. We see this in the opening scene where Fiji gives the coin to Jasmine.

Then Fiji goes out and gets herself hit by a bus.

But as we would later learn, as soon as you get rid of the coin, all the fame goes away. We see this with Jasmine. So why does Fiji kill herself? She'd have lost the fame soon enough...

And about that: As the episode progresses, Jasmine is clearly uncomfortable with all the fame she's getting, AND she realizes that it's the coin. So why the holy fuck does it take so long for her to get rid of it?

But the icing on the cake...the ending. Oh, lordy, where do I begin.

As soon as Jasmine, who's now living alone in a cabin in the woods, sees who this new singer "Mynx" is, she starts laughing and then gets really pissed off. So Jasmine goes and kills Mynx out of jealousy. Then we find that Mynx is...Jasmine's SISTER?

The same sister who, throughout the episode, has been shown to already have a very successful life (as a doctor)?

In what parallel universe does this make even the tiniest bit of sense? Jasmine's sister not only doesn't need that fame, she clearly wouldn't want it, as she was really weirded out over what was happening to Jasmine...

I mean, Jasmine did give her sister the coin, but the implication was that said coin would be thrown in the river. So why did the sister keep it? She already HAD a good life. Which she clearly preferred over Jasmine's.

Oh, fun fact: The sister is Beckett Mariner from Lower Decks. :techman:

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

How long did the 2002 Twilight Zone revival last?

20. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore