Search for Spock, what else was in Spacedock?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Squire of Gothos, Mar 7, 2010.

1. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aside from Enterprise, Excelsior and the little utility vessels, what else was inside the Spacedock?

There was a hint of another larger vessel docked at the large hub inside the dock, clockwise from the Enterprise's dock. Was it just a few tubes and the like they stuck together to fill the space, or was there some unused model they put there to get some use out of it.

2. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

It seems the dock was also used as a mainteance bay.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

4. The Squire of Gothos

I thought that, there was something about the strange secondary hull.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

It's the study model for a McQuarrie take on one of the Ken Adam designs for Titans, yes.

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's the "delta wing secondary hull" design, correct?

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There is also another ship underneath and to the right of the Enterprise, directly under a small ramp sticking out. It seems to be a blocky freighter-like ship, and it's not part of the Spacedock because its shadow on the left of the ship indicated it's not attached to the core. You can even see two little nacelles in front. (My guess is it's a garbage scow, and somoeone walks out on that ramp and throws their garbage bags into the ship like a dumpster.)

8. Maurice

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What's interesting is that the comic book adaptation of the movie showed tons of ships in Spacedock along with the Enterprise and Excelsior.

I'm pretty sure that the only commercial model kits available at that time were the TOS Enterprise and maybe the TMP Enterprise and Reliant (maybe someone with that knowledge might pipe up?). Wouldn't it have been cool though, to have had some kitbashed TOS model kits as background ships in there? :)

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you trying to tell me that there was more than one ship in the quadrant? You must be space happy!

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yeah, but DC Comics also put a pointed ear on Valkris the Klingon spy.

Not sure of the release date, but there weren't any AMT Reliant kits released as a ST II tie-in. It was quite a few years later they did one.

12. Maurice

The only Federation ship models out by AMT before or at the time TSFS was made were the TOS and refit Enterprises, and the TOS Galileo. You could also count the TMP Vulcan Shuttle and TOS K-7 models if you just want a list of Federation ships.

13. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Was that a mistake or could that panel have been done when the Klingons in TSFS were still supposed to be Romulans?

14. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Off-topic, but I just wanted to point out that Valkris was one of the hottest Klingon women ever, but usually is left out of lists of hot Klingon women on this BBS. I think her Klingon makeup was less severe, and that would've been a good way to go in the subsequent series. Klingon males should have had the more pronounced ridges and fangs, like how a male peacock has its fancy plumage to attract a mate, an evolutionary holdover from the Klingons' bipedal ancestors. That way, Klingon women would've been a bit more attractive in TNG (no messed up grills).

15. The Squire of Gothos

More like Suzie Plakson's lingon character in other words?

16. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there also a Miranda Class starship in spacedock? And I think that's a small freighter, that dark box diagonally between the Enterprise's secondary hull and that yellow _l shape center-bottom.

17. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

In Star Trek 4 there is a Miranda and a Grissom type ship seen along with the Excelsior inside the dock when the probe arrives, the Miranda isn't in 3.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A mistake. The artists were sent very few reference stills. But the script called for Valkris's species not to be readily identiable at first. In some stills (see "ST III Storybook"), she wears a silver headscarf, with only her eyes and elaborate hairstyle visible. In the film, she's already removed it and you can see the tails of her headscarf draped over her shoulders.

The script treatment's Romulans were Klingons long before casting took place.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Also, one might argue there are more than one Excelsiors there when the Whale Probe first attacks, as the multiple angles of that model don't exactly convey the idea of a single, immobilized ship...

It's convenient that the interior features that big central block, because we can always postulate that there'd be other ships hiding behind that - ones glilmpsed in scenes that otherwise don't seem to fit the bill.

Timo Saloniemi

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You don't really believe that, do you? I mean, at this point the Excelsior had just finished construction, and was a prototype. Why would there be any more of them?