Scotty question

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Scott can look at the transwarp beaming device, which has four numbers on it, and he knows that it's Kronos (where humans have never been)

Yet, Kirk gives him four numbers and he doesn't just say that's Jupiter! (which is in our own Solar System)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Scotty actually figure out it was Qo'nos? I thought he just gave Kirk the coordinates who then found out off screen that it was Qo'nos and reported it to Marcus?

Or perhaps the coordinates of a high profile planet like the Klingon capital are well known but an insignificant gas giant doesn't instantly ring a bell despite being in the Sol system. After all, most crews of Starfleet ships probably spend remarkably little time in the Sol system.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Humans visited Kronos a century earlier, in the Enterprise premiere, "Broken Bow"
    Ummm.... Q did it!

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He says, "He's gone to the one place we just can't go."

But that doesn't mean he could tell the location just by looking at the numbers. He could have looked it up.

( An alternative explanation would be that in the case of the Jupiter coordinates he was hampered by alcohol consumption. :p )

5. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Scotty drunk??? Nooooooooo.......

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh...Scotty's so accustomed to being drunk, it's probably safest when he is :eek:...:)

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then again, how many times have we actually seen Scotty drunk? Sure, he drinks a lot, but he can always hold his liquor.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

True, let me rephrase that to Scotty is so accustomed to drinking, it's probably safest when he is

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

"By Any Other Name" begs to differ.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Maybe the first digit of a coordinate means something like Klingon Sector.

I'm suspicious of the coordinate system they are using anyway.

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Starting a bar fight and a potential diplomatic incident with Klingons isn't exactly the behavior of a sober officer as senior as Lt. Commander. At least, I hope not!

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think Scotty was in full command of all of his faculties when that fight started. He wasn't falling-down drunk or anything like that. Even if Scotty was drinking (which we didn't see him do a lot of, in that scene), he knew exactly what he was doing: defending his captain and his ship. I'd call that a win-win!

Besides, Klingons wouldn't start a diplomatic incident over a bar fight. We all know that Klingons love to start fights any time they feel like it. And they'd probably respect Scotty as a warrior in a scene like that!

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk should've known the coordinates too, if it's in his own back yard. "Scotty, I need you to find something for me. It's at Jupiter at these coordinates."

Could be the coordinates were common enough that either Kirk or Scotty saying it was Jupiter would be repetitive. The first couple of numbers signify Jupiter, like an area code, then the last numbers are like a zip code marking a specific spot there that there's no reason for anyone to have committed to memory.

If someone told me they needed me to look into a phone number and it had a well known area code, like 202 in DC, I don't think I'd blurt out, "That's a Washington, DC number." If I did, the response might be, "No kidding, Sherlock. What we need to know is whose number it is." Same thing. They know it's Jupiter, just not what's at that specific spot near Jupiter.

14. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The OP used the spelling "Kronos" - correctly, in my opinion. I don't know where the heck to post my annoyance at this more recent spelling of "Qo'nos." It makes it sound like a speech impediment - the way Kripke would say "Kwonos" on Big Bang Theory. It's nearly as bad as Sci-Fi changing its name to Syphilis, er, SyFy. It could be an appropriate topic for most any of these forums, so I'll just limit my complaint to here.

Who did this - is it canon? Official canon from primary sources (series/movies)? Or fan or out of band canon (books, comics, 3rd party licensed materials etc)? I have seen it used in various sources. So who made it canon? The Roddenberry crew or the Abrams usurpers? I'm rather tired of the writers' cliche - not just Star Trek but everywhere now - that makes words alien with a simple apostrophe. It was new and unique for T'Pring and T'Pau in the 1960s - as far as I knew. Now, it's used everywhere and it's just a dumb trick.

Can fans organize a canon coup d'état to eliminate this thing and just go back to Kronos?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? And risk the earned wrath of professional linguistics people across the planet, including fellow Trekkers?

(And if you think I'm kidding about that? Rethink.)

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you serious?

It's spelled "Kronos" and called "Kronos" in STID, how could it be on Abrams?

17. JWPlatt

I would have been amused if Kirk fed this line to Benedict Cumberbatch's Khan in the movie.

18. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In all fairness, the "Qo" is not pronounced "Quo," that's why there is no "u." The sound is rougher and more gutteral, closer to but not the same as "Kro." But if we're gonna be all literal and refer to the planet with Marc Okrand's phonetic representation of Klingon, then we should write "Klingon" as "tlhlIngan." So I go with Kronos for konsistency.

19. JWPlatt

It's the kind of thing they could do to put their stamp on it. Even if they didn't. I'm very glad they did in fact used "Kronos" in the movie.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: STID uses both spellings. While Kronos is used in the location subtitle, computer displays have it labeled Qo'nos. In fact, that is actually the only time the Qo'nos spelling is seen on screen, despite being used in the novels and other material for nearly twenty years. So STID made Qo'nos canon.