Sci-Fi TV Shows 2013-2014 season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NJOberheim, Aug 12, 2013.

1. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Hey Guys,

With September right around the corner, I've been trying to finalize what new shows I'll be watching this season. All my shows from last year are coming back so my TV viewing time is somewhat limited.

Here are the new shows I'm planning on checking out:

Almost Human
    Believe
    Sleepy Hollow
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Helix

What are some stuff you guys are going to be watching? Any really promising stuff I might have missed?

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I admit it: I can't wait for SLEEPY HOLLOW.

3. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Yeah Sleepy Hollow...I gotta say, the premise sounds awful, but then all the critics I read who have seen the pilot have said they were pleasantly surprised by how good it was. So yeah, could be sweet.

My guilty admission is that I'm kinda intrigued by what the CW is doing this season with Tomorrow People, The 100 and Star-Crossed. They could all very likely be awful, but it's kinda cool that the network is just going for it as far as sci fi and fantasy is concerned this year.

4. NJOberheim

NJOberheim Captain Captain

Yeah, I had no interest in Sleepy Hollow when i first heard of it but after seeing the trailer it looks interesting. One concern I have is that it's just another cop show but then again, so is Almost Human and S.H.I.E.L.D. to some extent.

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

The only show that I'm definitely going to watch is S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'll probably give the pilot of Almost Human a shot, but I'm not too optimistic after the last batch of Bad Robot-produced shows. With the other stuff, I'm going to wait to hear what people say about them after a couple of episodes.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

SHIELD is a must-see, of course. I've heard promising pilot reviews of the two Bad Robot shows, so I'll check those out; Almost Human seems more interesting than Sleepy Hollow, though.

I suppose I'll check out The Tomorrow People. I wasn't initially interested in Star-Crossed, but I read a surprisingly positive review of the pilot, so maybe I'll give it a try. I also read a bad pilot review of The Hundred or whatever it's called, so I'm unsure whether I'll try it out. The others mentioned here don't interest me.

7. Greg Cox

I'm having trouble getting excited over yet another robot cop show, but ALMOST HUMAN has Karl Urban, so I'll surely check it out . . . .

SLEEPY HOLLOW, on the other hands, sounds genuinely bizarre--in a good way, hopefully.

And that we'll all be watching SHIELD goes without saying . . . .

8. Christopher

^I don't think we've had a robot cop show since Mann & Machine, have we? Between that, Holmes and Yoyo, and Future Cop, we've never had a robot-cop show that lasted longer than 13 episodes. I'd say the longest-running robot cop on TV would be URL from Futurama.

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

SHIELD, Sleepy Hollow and Almost Human. Might give the CW a brief try-you can never tell.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.?

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be watching Orphan Black, when it airs at some undetermined time in Autumn. I think it's likely to be September, but that's just a guess, geektown.co.uk is coy.

Not been enormously enthused with the current line-up. I'll probably check out Almost Human (it looks solid, anyway) and Helix (something something Ron Moore sold), but that's basically it. Believe's trailers are underwhelming and generic, even with Cuaron's involvement I'll want some very promising reviews to consider it.

Sleepy Hollow looks awful. At best it looks like so-bad-it's-gonzo-genius, like the indulgent but inventive pulp nuttiness of American Horror Story.

12. Christopher

I had to look that up, since I've never heard of it -- I never watched Friends. (And Google is practically useless these days since it no longer seems to understand the concept of an exact-phrase search -- even putting it in quotes didn't help -- so I just got a bunch of pages about macaroni and cheese until I gave up and tried Wikipedia.)

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am actually embarassed that I remember that, but when I saw it, Mann & Machine was relatively fresh in my memory and has stayed with me.

I looked up Almost Human. This is the I, Robot movie. The only thing I will check out is SHIELD, I think, unless some of the other shows get decent reviews. I still have to catch up on my Netflix viewing anyway.

14. Christopher

Well, I definitely remember Mann and Machine. It wasn't a great show, but Yancy Butler was pretty unforgettable.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Your Google-Fu is broken Grasshopper, first search result was the correct one. I didn't watch Friends either, but, it had the periods in it, so, it was a likely match, and clicking on it, it tells you it was a Detective show ;)

What about the Robocop Series, that lasted past a season didn't it?

16. Christopher

Entering the phrase "Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E." either with or without quotes, the first hit I get is a Food Network macaroni and cheese recipe. Although I see now that when I just put it in the search field without hitting "Enter," the first suggestion is "mac and c.h.e.e.s.e. friends" and it automatically gives a bunch of links related to the TV show. So we're both right. On the one hand, it is possible to get the right answer if you input it correctly -- but on the other hand, Google is completely screwed up as a search engine, because it gives completely different results depending on whether you hit "Enter" or not! That's just not helpful.

RoboCop: The Series ran for one season comprising a 2-hour pilot movie and 20 hourlong episodes. But it doesn't count here, because RoboCop is a cyborg (i.e. partly human), not an android. Also because he was the lead character of an ensemble rather than the sidekick to a human lead character. He had a human partner, but she was his sidekick. (Although it's open to question which character in Holmes and Yo-Yo was the lead. The title put the human first, but the first-billed actor played the android.)

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Seriously...Google gives different results when you press Enter, versus when you push the button? That's just messed up. No wonder sometimes I find a page I go to all the time using Google, and sometimes it doesn't come up (I thought it was maybe because of a typo or the order I put stuff in for my search term). :eek:

On Robocop The Series, ah, OK

18. Christopher

Versus when I don't do anything but type/paste the phrase into the search bar. It automatically makes suggestions -- at least if you're on the Google page when you type it in, which didn't work for me, since I pasted the phrase into the Google bar on my browser and then hit Enter to get to the Google search page. I would've had to click on the suggestion "mac and c.h.e.e.s.e. friends" in order to get the right results, and since I didn't know it was from Friends yet -- which was the whole damn reason I was searching -- I couldn't have known to do that. So yeah, Google has totally lost its way as a search engine. It's trying too hard to anticipate you, to think for you, to assume you're an idiot who can't spell, and so it ignores the letter of what you type and assumes you're looking for some broadly similar category of information instead.

19. Greg Cox

If nothing else, "M.A.C. and Cheese" would seem to indicate that the whole "human cop paired with a robot partner" gimmick was cliche enough that FRIENDS was able to make fun of it.

20. Christopher

^Which is odd, considering that at the time there was a grand total of 30 episodes' worth of content in the genre -- 13 Holmes and Yo-Yo, 8 Future Cop, and 9 Mann & Machine. You wouldn't think that would be enough to generate a cliche.