Scariest, Spookiest Scenes in Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Defiler-Of-Redshirts, May 28, 2019.

1. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Defiler-Of-Redshirts Commander Red Shirt

Any series, any movie. I noticed that in TOS some of Rod Serlings Twilight Zone writers did write for Star Trek as well, so Trek always had some creepier, darker moments. I'll start with a few examples.

TNG "Night Terrors" - it really knocked me for a loop in the scene Dr. Crusher suddenly saw all these shrouded corpses sitting up.

TOS "The Empath" - many of those black-background scenes with the Vians were unsettling, especially when the crew got to the surface and saw that image of Scotty smiling at them, only to be an illusion.

TOS "Wolf in the Fold" - that seance was pretty dark and foreboding.

TNG - forgot the exact episode - that scene in which a female crewmember is killed by having her body reformed/bisecting halfway in and out of a deck. Was that a Q episode? I don't remember but I do remember that grotesque scene of a woman being killed by having her body made into part of the deck. That image stuck with me.

TOS - "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" - every scene with Ruk was obviously nerve-racking. Especially when he was lurking in the caves. Oh, and this includes Ted Kassidy's voice as Balok in "The Corbomite Maneuver" and the voice of the Gorn in "Arena." Let's face it, Mr. Kassidy had a naturally scary voice.

TOS - TMP - The long, dark, dimly-lit Entperise flyovers over the massive, gargantuan, utterly alien V'Ger craft, soaked in some of Goldsmith's darkest musical swirls.

TNG "Conspiracy" - the ending was as gross and horrifying as any David Cronenberg movie.

DS9 "Field of Fire" - many scenes with Ezri Dax, the image of a former murderous Dax host, and the mysterious assassin were very nerve-racking.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

TOS: "Charlie X" -- When Charlie wishes away that poor woman's face . . . ..

Meanwhile, I can't resist pointing out that both "Wolf in the Fold" and "What are Little Girls Made Of?" were written by Robert Bloch, a famous horror writer perhaps best known as the author of Psycho.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, Q wasn't involved.

The episode was "In Theory".

4. Greg Cox

Also disturbing: the fatal transporter accident in TMP.

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Yes, what made it chilling was Starfleet's message: "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long....fortunately."

7. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

Thank you! I completely forgot about the freaky scene of the "faceless" woman in Charlie X. And his suddenly turning that one young lady into an iguana lizard, which was so wildly out of the blue, that somehow made it even creepier. Even Charlie's disappearance at the end was creepy as he said, "I want to stay...stay...stay...stay."

I think I read one of Bloch's novels years ago as a little kid. Didn't he write the novel "Psycho" (on which the Hitchcockl movie was based) and a few novelizations of the Twilight Zone? I couldn't remember for sure.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. Greg Cox

Yep, Bloch created Norman Bates.

He also wrote "Catspaw" as well.

9. Defiler-Of-Redshirts

That was another episode with some creepy scenes. Like when Jackson collapsed dead on the transporter pad and Korob's voice emanated that warning about a curse, out of the corpse's mouth. That was a foreboding moment.

Greg Cox likes this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Lights of Zetar"- When they get to Memory Alpha and find the dead and near-dead people...that's about has horrific and spooky as it gets.

11. damfino

damfino Ensign Red Shirt

This jumpscare from lifesigns got me pretty good

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean Genesis? I was thinking about mentioning that episode.

Defiler-Of-Redshirts likes this.
  13. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Charlie X pleading with the Thasians to stay, stay, staaaayyyy. . . .is for me one of Star Trek's iconic shock scenes
    It's just so sad, sad beyond words and we would never be able to fully understand what his life would be like with them.
    "I can't even touch them. . . . ."

14. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

In TWOK when McCoy walks into the bloodied hand of the hanging corpse on Regula 1 - that always makes me jump.
    The worst thing about the TMP transporter accident that @Greg Cox mentioned were the disembodied, transporter-scrambled screams. Nightmare inducing!

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The TNG episode Schisms, where members of the crew are being abducted.

Pretty much anything with the Borg, especially the film First Contact.

16. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even after 30 years, I still think this is one of the simplest and most effective "scare" scenes in all of Trek.

Spirit of 73 likes this.
  17. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Not scary necessarily but kinda creepy. Where Silence Has Lease - The part where Riker and Worf beam over to the false Yamato. They are separated, the hallways have a grim low light appearance and then the screams begin.

Spirit of 73 likes this.
  18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frame of mind is scary With Riker fighting to stay sane while in an alien mental health instituition. Or Wondering if his memories were real or was he hallucinating.

DonIago likes this.
  19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Troi face down in a tub, rolling over with gills, is a good one too

Honorable mention to some of the stuff in TNG Conspiracy

Edit: Oooooo & TWOK's ear bug stuff!

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nearly 40 years later and now aged 56, I STILL can NOT stand to hear that inhuman "shriek"! Any time I decide to watch the movie, I hit the "mute" button the moment Kirk bursts into the transporter room and I won't restore the sound until he has left the chamber.

Everything else I can handle. I actually chuckle at the infamous "head shot" sequence in "Conspiracy". Not that I'm into gore, but I find it amusing the near universal "backlash" that sequence generated when I suspect some of those same fans grew up with the "slasher" flicks of the 80s. "We want blood and gore...but not in Trek!" But something about that "scream" (and I can't really define WHAT it is) just chills me to the bone! BRRR!!!!!

Cyfa likes this.