''Save over 400 dollars a year!''

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tharpdevenport, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Would you spend $400+ a year on coffee?

1. Yes.

20.4%
  2. No.

29.6%
  3. I don't drink coffee.

46.3%
  4. Sometimes I have.

3.7%
  1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

So, I flip on the TV and there is this Wal-Mart commercial that' all cherry and obviously aimed at a higher middle class, and there is this lady talking about how expensive it is to buy a cup of coffee at a coffee shop, and say with the Wal-Mart stuff and maker you can "Save over 400 dollars a year".

:wtf:

Who the hell spends 400 dollars a year on coffee?! I don't know about you, but I can't afford any unecessary product at $400 a year. That's the kind of money newly found alcoholics and well-in smokers would spend on habbits each year. It's unsettling.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

If you had one small cup of black coffee every day, purchased from a coffee shop, it would be about $400 a year.

J.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, you would need to go to Starbucks and lay down seven bucks 57 times.

Glad I don't drink coffee.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I spend more than $400 (US) on coffee in a year.

However, this product that's being advertised - I presume it and the coffee you put in it are free ? Otherwise you have to deduct that from the price the coffee you'd otherwise buy.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I could easily see how someone could spend more than $400 on coffee in a year. In fact, if you do the math and figure someone grabs a coffee at a cheap place (not Starbucks) on the way to work each morning (let's say about 240 days per year), that's a fairly reasonable $1.66 per cup of coffee.

And though I don't drink or smoke, I'd feel pretty confident in guessing that your average alcoholic or heavy smoker spends far greater than $400 per year on their respective vices.

6. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My son would easily spend $400 on coffee a year. He has a bit of a wait for his second bus on the way to work so he buys a large Hudsons coffee which costs him $AUD4.00 (which is about $US2.60). Thta would mean he must spend about $US600 on his early morning coffee each year.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Em.. I'd spend at least that amount on coffee over the year.

Some of the people here buy dolls, I like to buy decent coffee. It's my money, why not?

8. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

We buy Folgers 2-packs at BJs discount for I guess about $12. Each one lasts about a month so I'm thinking we spend about $72/year on coffee. Add another $30 for creamer and we're around $100 for the year.

9. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My ex would go into Starbucks and get a $5 Latte and a pastry every day, sit and chat with her friend on her cell, and then get some fancy fruit juice to go. Tipping the barista she probably spent $15.

Just counting once a day, weekdays, that was $3900 a year.

10. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

That's the way I get my coffee too. And we get free coffee at work as well.

11. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Sure :) And since we're talking 'coffee' I would happily pay twice that much.

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Coffee, beer, and cigars. I don't consume the cheap crap. Also remember back in the 1990's that coffee bean prices went through the roof. Always remember that it is a commodity. ;)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I spend about twenty-five bucks a week on coffee. It's totally worth it.

14. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Hmm... reading this I wonder how much I spend a year on Mountain Dew...

Oh well, $3.50 a week is definitely worth it. :)

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm sure everybody who goes to Starbucks in the morning before work (especially now that most of them have drive-thrus!) spends at least $400 a year on coffee. Probably significantly more.

I go to Starbucks about once a month, so I think I'm okay.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say people who just have a few beers with friends on the weekend spend about that much on booze a year, people who go to bars for those beers spend a bit more and $400 a year smokers are probably the minority considering even a light smoker goes through about 2 packs a week. Heavy soda drinkers could easily spend more than 400 a year, so does everyone who buys a bottle of water a day. 400 dollars just isn't that much anymore.

17. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

This makes me wonder how much i spend on alcohol ...

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is a question we should never ask.

19. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

A) Coffee is not an "unnecessary" product.

B) I spend about $10/week on beans. So, I easily exceed the "outrageous" $400/year expense without a single trip to a swill-merchant like Starbucks. I consider it to be a very reasonable amount to spend on something I enjoy. Being able to buy decent stuff that I enjoy is a large part of why I have a job.

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

WTF??

Yeah, they're spending nearly $1.10 per day. It's crazy.