Spoilers S4. More new uniforms - hooray (!).

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Blue Squadron, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    I did something similar for S3 so without further ado and in no particular order...

Note: please IGNORE the "play" triangle -- these are all quick screen grab stills, none of them are videos, so you'll be disappointed if you try to click on them! :wah::shrug::rommie:

He's back! Cool as ever, still wearing a Commodore's tricom badge and definitely not the Federation president! :nyah:

[​IMG]

He's also back and looks like he's still wearing the same uniform as S3

[​IMG]

This guy is back too -- but boy must he be old by now! :D

[​IMG]

Lots of folks around that conference / briefing room -- looks like all the ship captains are now in the new red uniforms but still quite a few in the older gray uniforms with coloured stripes. Does that now make them HQ / starbase staff uniforms...? There are a few shots of this, they all show slightly different details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new away team gear looks a little S&M...?
    (they have remembered this is not the mirror universe, right...?)

[​IMG]

The fit on the hoods is kinda weird too. Insignia is nice though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to see Adira in a standard uniform too -- I wonder how they'll explain that.

[​IMG]

Still not convinced by those asymmetric hems on the back of the jacket -- it looks even more weird now that the jacket contrasts the trousers.

[​IMG]

Apparently they're bad for artificial gravity too...

[​IMG]

The sciences blue still seems like an odd choice too -- compared to the red and, particularly, the rather desaturated yellow, the blue is very dark and lacks contrast with the black trousers and the black stripe on the front. A lighter blue with better balance to the other colours would have made more sense to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does someone like Tron...?

[​IMG]

Is this now known as the George Kirk manoeuvre...?

[​IMG]

2. Blue Squadron

This is interesting... A first look at 32nd Century dress uniforms...?
    The colour looks lighter in some shots but I suspect it's actually a pretty dark maroon based on this first image. This is probably going to be one of those colours that varies quite considerably depending on the studio lighting.
    The gold strips across the shoulder seams appear to echo the black shoulder straps on the captains' duty tunics. I wonder if there's a tricom badge underneath all that hair?

[​IMG]

Saru and Burnham are both wearing this in the scene that rather implies Ni'var re-joining the Federation, which is what makes me think it's more likely a Starfleet dress uniform than anything else.

- matching trousers and plain black boots

[​IMG]

- the cut of the front of the jacket seems familiar...

[​IMG]

- its a lot like this from the start of S3:

[​IMG]

Here's Burnham wearing the same thing in a different scene
    (looking at the floor pattern, it's the same scene as the close-up, above)

[​IMG]

But who are these guys...?

[​IMG]

Speaking of which, who are these guys in the red hooded jackets when Tilly and Adira are in the black away team outfits...? It looks like the same colour as the dress uniforms in some shots but is that really the case...? And are those Starfleet badges or something else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, this reminds me of the multitude of alternative variant uniforms from Voyager that all used the department colours in some way. Is this training gear? Is this what's under those new colourful jackets...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's enough to be going on with for the moment. I'm sure we'll know more in about five to six weeks from now!
    :hugegrin:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Jarvisimo likes this.
  3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously Adira has a Starfleet commission as shown by her wearing a uniform in the final minutes of the finale. Most likely Adira was granted one due to her prior hosts including 3 starfleet officers, having served on discovery and also received training from the UEDF.

4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stamets is losing his hair quite rapidly now. Looks like he's one season away from being totally bald in back.

Man, Tig Notaro doesn't look well at all. Seems like she aged 10 years and lost a good deal of weight. I hope she's not sick again.

5. Agony_Boothb

Give the man a break he's a couple of weeks from turning 50.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  6. Blue Squadron

Yes, I'm sure it'll be something like that, which is more or less what I was expecting too.

Seems fair.

7. Blue Squadron

Leave Anthony Rapp alone...!

I don't think the faded duster yellow colour particularly suits Tig Notaro and the lighting in that scene doesn't help.

There are some aspects of the new costumes that actually don't work particularly well for certain actors.

TimeIsAPredator and NCC-73515 like this.
  8. eschaton

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being bald - I've lost a good deal of hair myself. But they might want to think about switching up Stamets' hairstyle a bit for the next season to account for his thinning. Rapp shaved it off during the pandemic and I think it looked quite nice.

9. Blue Squadron

Ha -- fair enough. Or maybe he's just happy with it being however it is. That's also an option

10. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is anyone else bored of how no colours apart from orange or blue seem to exist on this show? The grading is painful.

Serveaux likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I see a lot of red, bronze, and gray too. And a little beige. Don't make it so easy next time.

antinoos likes this.
  12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm warming to the uniforms. I really did not like the ones at the end of S3, and at least the color is an improvement.

I'm still sad the Disco uniforms were scrapped.

13. lightspeedbear

Oooh grey and beige :luvlove::luvlove::luvlove:

Seriously though, 99% of the show is the same shade of the same two colours.

14. Agony_Boothb

Maybe they'll take the toupe Shatner wore in TOS out of cryogenic suspension and give it to Rapp.

seigezunt likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Better than the painful use of beige in TNG. Give me blue.

seigezunt and Agony_Boothb like this.
  16. Agony_Boothb

The only time the Enterprise interiors ever actually looked good was in Generations. The darker lighting scheme brought the warmth in the beige, where as during the series the lighting made the ship look like a hotel lobby ot a doctors waiting room.

Edit to add: oh wait we're talking costumes not interiors. Forgive me it's 3am where I am and I am going to bed. However my point about the Enterprise D interiors still stands. They were shit until Generations.

17. fireproof78

Fair enough; I was just discussing colors in general. For me, I have always found the blues in Discovery very enjoyable and dynamic to look at.

The new uniforms pop in an interesting way but I'll be curious to see them in longer shots in the action against the interiors of Discovery.

seigezunt likes this.
  18. lightspeedbear

I'm talking about colour grading, not production design. Look it up if you're not familiar with the term.

TNG, natural grading, all colours:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Discovery, cliched sci fi amber/teal grading:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even their forests are orange!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And before anyone posts examples of the colour green appearing in the series (the emerald chain logo and not much else) I realise that there are extremely rare examples of other colours showing up, but it's 1%.

The screen captures on the top of this page are exclusively the same two colours. Go through Netflix episode thumbnails and you'll only ever see these two colours.

19. eschaton

The origin of the orange/blue thing seems to be around 20-30 years ago. if you want to color-correct, human skin tone is closest to orange on a color wheel. The complimentary color to this is blue, hence the orange/blue combination. Over the last decade this has gone past fixing color balance in post production, to also influencing set design and costume choices.

You could theoretically use other complimentary combinations - like violet/yellow, or red/green - but in these cases most human skin tones will clash somewhat with your choices.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  20. fireproof78

There's also been several studies that have people choosing their subjective favorite as blue, and some showing purple as the follow up. Blue has always been my favorite color so I have no issue with the blues be everpresent.

seigezunt likes this.