Russia, the US and the ISS and 2010.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Johnny Rico, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the ISS and the current state of political affairs in Russia, are we headed to a situation similar to that of what happened in the movie '2010'? When the US and Russian crews had to separate from each other while in space?

2. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we'll be piggybacking our crews on Soyuz flights after the Shuttle's retirement, I certainly hope not. :p

The only parallel political problems NASA is knee-deep in is with China - it's the Science Mission Directorate's policy that we don't do business with them, as HQ was pissed at their demonstration of shooting down satellites.

I think despite the current political issues in Russia, our cooperation in space initiatives remains strong.

Heck, my office mate is from Russia - he's funded through a HST money and his job is as secure as the rest of ours is.

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Yeah, after the shuttle retires we have to rely on them for crew transfers, so I hope all goes well.

4. FemurBone

FemurBone Vice Admiral Admiral

^Hopefully they will have the orion spacecraft ready by then.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think it's suppose to be ready by 2012 right, so that's about 2 years we'll have to rely on Russia.

6. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

^Yup, that's the plan. Here's hoping that the Russians will succeed in getting that upgrade to the Soyuz they're planning. It was supposed to be replaced by the Kliper spacecraft, but there's no money for that idea.

Still, spacecraft don't get much more reliable than Soyuz, so they could do worse.

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guess you missed all the cuts, most of the gov money is getting pushed into the burning hole in Iraq, Social Security and Bernanke trying to stop the property market from going into meltdown.

NASA's budget has seen a cash crunch these past years and missions like MTO or TPF may be delayed or cancelled. The latest date on getting TheStick (Ares1) flying people in space pushes it closer to 2015, however some analysts have their doubts because NASA could have made better use of the commercial market or EELVs and TheStick may just become another gravy train for ATK and Lockheed.
    http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11112-budget-cuts-may-delay-shuttle-replacement.html
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4524917
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/02/04/nasa.budget/index.html

8. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iraq has nothing to do with it. NASA is always getting screwed by Congress. They want to spend tons on education, but they don't want to spend any on one of the government agencies that utilizes many fields that one can get in the education system.

It'd be like, let's spend all this money to educate people to become law enforcement officers, but let's not fund the police departments.