Russel T. Davies' new show.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Cutter John, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Interesting premise. I'll certain take a look at it when it arrives.

Intriguing that BBC has already commissioned a second series.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'll check it out! I miss RTD Era Doctor Who...

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh! Well it had to happen. Didn't Ron more try something like this with a pilot about Cops with magic powers? Also isn't the Doctor kind of a wizard replace tardis with Broomstick and sonice screwdriver with wand. Wasn't he also Merlin once?

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Excellent news on several fronts. First and foremost it's keeping at least some of the SJA team together (it's probably a guarantee there'll be some familiar names in the cast as well). Second, if RTD is working on this, after having earlier announced a suspension of his activities due to the illness of his partner, hopefully that's a good sign on that front. I guess this means "Cucumber" isn't going anywhere soon, though.

Third, if RTD is reestablishing his base in the UK that increases the likelihood of Torchwood season 5 being based more in the UK, if it's made.

The Bleeding Cool article mentions that RTD is also working on a project for BBC Worldwide called "Star Lost". Nah, it couldn't be ... could it? (If anyone could bring that show back and make it work, it would be RTD.)

Alex

6. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I for one surely hope his partner is doing better, hopefully this new project news means things are looking up. Also, I hope we have not seen the last of Captain Jack!

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

As long as Tommy and Daniel are in it, playing boyfriends again, I'll be tuning in. ;)

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Well, Tommy as I understand it had stepped away from SJA anyway except for guest appearances (maybe for school? Someone jump in on that if I'm wrong) so whether he'd be available for a new series is a question. But Daniel and Anjli had great chemistry and their story arc was just developing, so unless they're involved with other shows I'd love to see them come back. The girl who was signed to play Sky and replace Tommy in the series got shortchanged; I wouldn't be surprised if we saw her come back too.

In any respect, although the premise sounds a bit odd, I think AvW will be worth watching if it uses the same writers and production crew. SJA still gets knocked, mostly by folks who have never bothered to watch it, but it turned out to be a much better show than I expected, which more than a few episodes equalling and even surpassing Doctor Who, so my hopes are high for AvW.

Though I had to admit to being curious - and a little nervous - about what an RTD-created series called "Cucumber" might have been..

Alex

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Sarah Jane Adventures S1 was skewed pretty young, but, from S2 onward, most adults who like Doctor Who could get into it easily enough

10. Pseudo

Pseudo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bleeding Cool seem to have mistaken industry insiders for Gareth Roberts and Joseph Lidster's CV's. :rolleyes:

Thus far the BBC have released no information about it so the description as "Doctor Who meets Harry Potter" is nothing more than guesswork based on the title. Though I have been told that production commences in the next couple of months, which again might be guesswork by that person based on the assumption that it will be taking the slot on CBBC vacated by SJA.

Though it's good to know that Rich Johnston reads my posts on GB. :rofl:

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Apparently that was an Alternate Universe or future Doctor - and possibly ginger; although River does mention in one episode that whenever she investigates a supposed magician or wizard, it usually turns out to be him. :)

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Aliens vs Wizards."

Isn't that basically was Doctor Who was under RTD anyway?

13. Pseudo

The series is now casting. I don't have any details of the roles, except that the protagonists are a modern day family of wizards.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this won't be the BBC's version of "Wizards of Waverly Place"? Sounds interesting.

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll just leave this here, for no apparent reason.

[​IMG]

16. Pseudo

The BBC have posted a press release about the series:

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I may check this out when it airs.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

In an interview RTD has had his say on the state of Children's TV and there's some info on the show in there.

19. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Sounds like Doctor Who meets Harry Potter to me. I'm in.