Router dying, so what's a good router for gaming and web browsing

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Random_Spock, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

My 2wire router is dying, so I'm looking into getting a new router asap.

What are some good routers for gaming, web browsing and that kind of thing? I'm sticking to around $50 to $100 for one though, budget wise.

It's a router that has DSL/Cable ports along with ethernet, etc. So I'm looking for something similar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

It depends on a lot. First what speed are you paying for? do you have plans to upgrade to a higher speed? What wireless adapters are you using, N, AC? What routers are approved by your cable company?

3. Random_Spock

I'm getting around 20-22mbps generally download (got 23.16mbps download today via a speedtest) and around 4mbps upload (4.81mbps via a speedtest today). Not at this time. None. I'm using a 3801 2wire router, basically the one in the picture I posted above.

4. Tom Hendricks

What cable company?

5. Random_Spock

ATT Uverse -- hence the crappy router. They won't even let people upgrade to newer models once their's dies. They just shuffle them around to refurbed ones of the model they first got when they first subscribed. Mine was the 3801. So I'm stuck with it.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would not recommend getting a cable modem with a built-in router. I prefer to keep them separate. Not just because of what might happen if one of them breaks - it's just more flexible.

That said, I'm very brand loyal to Motorola modems and Apple (Airport Extreme) routers.

7. Random_Spock

Sadly I'm unable to do so.

What I said about it on another board:

Ok. Now this is ticking me off. Looks like I'm stuck with their crud.

According to someone on their board (who works for them):

You cannot purchase your own devices any longer on U-verse. All customers must now rent a gateway as of earlier this year.

A bit more that they said about it:

With dsl, you can use your own compatable modem.

U-verse is differant. Your connector (gateway, router, modem, whatever you call it) is proprietary. Each connetion uses individually assigned equipment, and will only work for that one service assigned to it.

You USED to be able to purchase your connection equipment from ATt, and it was yours. though you could only use it for the assined service connection.

As of February of this year, (folks who already own their equipment are grandfathered in) all new equipment, and this includes equipment used to replace old equipment, con only be rented, for 7 dollars a month.

While you can technically get used equipment from re-sell markets, they will not work, as they can only be assigned to one service, and att does not allow the use of equipment not provided by them on new service.

Yes, i am onother att customer, and only speak for myself, butr i've seen numerous posts to this effect, and its right. You can no longer buy your own equipment and use it on u=verse.

The router model I have, 3801, is unable to update to the newest version of IPv6 anyways. So it looks like this model is reaching/nearing the end of the road.

Joy. Found this... so I can have two routers? I only need one.

You can put any 3rd party router you want behind the RG on DMZ or IP Passthrough, depending on what RG you have.

Instructions here:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/Setting-up-Your-3rd-Party-Devices/m-p/4120348#M4464

Sounds like it's more of a hassle than it's worth. Given that the ATT one will just fail within a year or so anyways. That's why I wanted to replace it in the first place.

8. Tom Hendricks

So here is the deal, it looks like that you can't buy another router for ATT Uverse. You must lease from ATT or you can purchase a used version of your modem off say Ebay.

9. Random_Spock

Yep. Which is all kinds of f'd up. Since they don't let people upgrade from the model they have. :brickwall: So it's get another router every couple of years. I'm thinking that they're doing this kind of crap just to set it up to fail. Only thing I can think of that would make sense of this bs.

I can only imagine what will happen once this model doesn't work anymore. I'll be screwed.

10. Tom Hendricks

Can you switch providers?

11. Random_Spock

Only other choice I have is Comcast and they're just as bad or worse. :lol: I'd love to switch to Charter, but they're a bit out of my area. Which sucks, since their stupid ads air where I'm at. :biggrin:Used to go through them and never ran into any real issues with them either, by comparison to ATT. They used to be good, but now... definitely not.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Pardon my ignorance, but don't your ISP's supply such hardware?

13. Tom Hendricks

Believe me, I completely understand. We only have Times Warner Cable where my house is. Yet down the road, they have FiOS. I mean it's only a mile away but it feels like it could be hundreds. If it's any consideration, Comcast has 70 Modems you can use. You could get a deal from Comcast to switch, doesn't hurt to find out.

Random_Spock likes this.
  14. Random_Spock

Yes. But it's complete and utter junk. The model I'm stuck with is a 3801 2wire (that they're pretty much calling proprietary -- meaning any router they give their customers now). Since it's the one I got when I joined them. They won't give me any other one, meaning newer models. So in theory, if this one can't upgrade anymore, I'm screwed.

They've been trying to update it to a more recent version of IPv6 with no luck. So it's looking like it's nearing the end of the road for the model from the looks of things.

Latest update for it was from 2014. Kind of tells you that ATT doesn't give a crap about their customers.

Dang. Well that's nice. I'd look into it, but I've heard they've really screwed some people over. Worse than ATT. Nothing like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

After my Linksys cable modem died (which was well after my Linksys wireless router died), I bought an Arris SBG6900-AC all in one.
    I only pay for 25Mbps Comcast, but I know this thing could handle a lot more easily. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a higher speed, but I don't do a lot more than browsing and some downloading.

Random_Spock likes this.
  16. Random_Spock

That's similar to what I get through ATT. It's nice that you were able to upgrade to a new router though. I can only use one behind their 'worthless' and outdated one. :brickwall:

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Comcast always offers to rent you "their" model. I prefer to buy one I know works well and only have to go through some phone time with their tech support to get a new one set up.

18. Tom Hendricks

I know you said you've heard terrible stuff about Comcast but at least you get a choice with them. All cable & phone companies are awful. You get zero choice with AT&T. To me it's worth the risk to change providers. I bought and installed my own cable modem and router a little over a year ago. In fact I just broke even, with how much I would pay in rental fees vs buying one outright. So even though Time Warners is crappie, I own my router.

19. Random_Spock

That's what ATT used to do. Now... we're stuck. Wish I would have gotten my own before then. But I wasn't able to. The timing sucks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016