Romulan Ridges Novel Explanation

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by quazar, Oct 3, 2016.

1. quazar

quazar Captain Captain

I was reading a thread on Reddit the other day where someone was asking about why the Romulans in Next Generation have ridges and I seem to remember that there was a recent-ish novel this and I'm looking for some confirmation. (In case I made this up via mid-stroke.) The way I remember it being explained is that there was a sect or group of Romulans that had come into power during the Next Generation-era that were a variant of the Vulcan-Romulan race who had the ridges. Am I completely making this up or does this appear in one of the novels? And if so, which one? Thanks a bunch!

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I don't think something like that has been brought up in the novels though.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Do they mean a different race, like white/black/Asian/etc., or a different species altogether? I could buy the former; different ethnic/racial groups on Vulcan having differently shaped foreheads is no more implausible than having differently shaped eyes or noses. But postulating a whole separate hominid species from Vulcans evolving on Vulcan is... radical, to say the least. And quite unnecessary.

4. quazar

quazar Captain Captain

Christopher, YES, like a different race of Vulcans. I remember a Star Trek novel where they touched on this and said that there was some political goings on or whatever on Romulus that lead to this race of Romulans coming into power in the Next Gen-era and that is why Tomalok and all those cats had the ridges, but other Romulans seen in different eras didn't. Is this ringing a bell at all? I'm semi-concerned that this is head canon, but part of me thinks I read this during my last Trek-book binge, which admittedly was about two years ago.

5. Jinn

Whops, I forgot to add the quote thingy. I just copied a sentance from MA...

6. Christopher

Except the Romulans in Enterprise did have ridges (since Michael Westmore was doing the makeup, of course). And most of the Romulans we saw in TOS were wearing helmets that covered their foreheads, so we don't know if they had ridges or not. (Okay, strictly speaking, you can tell they didn't have the pronounced eyebrow ridges of the Westmore makeup, but we can fudge that a bit if we want.) So I tend to think that most of those helmeted Romulans in TOS were probably of the ridged majority. Almost all the smooth-headed ones we saw were senior officers or diplomats, the powerful elites. So the idea that the smooth-headed race was in power in TOS and displaced by TNG is a theory I've had for a long time, though I don't recall if I ever put it in a book.

7. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The closest thing I've been able to find is this sentence from The Struggle Within:

Markonian and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

We do know that Spock lived passed as a Romulan on Romulus without a brow ridge.

9. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They saw their first HemQuch Klingons, and developed crest-envy. Very Freudian.

Enterprise1701, Jinn and Idran like this.
  10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The proto Vulcans in "Who Watches the Watchers?" had forehead ridges, so flatter foreheads might be more evolved.

11. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's no such thing as "more evolved" or "less evolved".

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  12. Christopher

Well, there sort of is, in terms of how well a species is adapted to its particular niche. In that sense, humans are much less evolved than, say, cats, because cats have been perfectly adapted to their evolutionary niche for tens of millions of years, while our hominin ancestors have only been walking upright for 4-5 million years and we've only existed as a species for about half a million years and been behaviorally modern for about 40,000 years. We're still not fully adapted to walking upright, which is why we have back, foot, and digestion problems, and we retain a lot of older behaviors that aren't well-adapted to our modern way of living, like the predatory drives underlying war and violent crime.

I've often felt that's why we look on cats with such awe or fear -- because we sense that they've already got it all figured out, while we're still struggling to understand ourselves.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Pardon me. My brained must be less evolved than yours. ;)

Idran likes this.
  14. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

It would have been interesting had Joanne Linville been able to reprise her role as the Romulan Commander in TNG as planned, as her having ridges vs. not having them may have answered this question.

borgboy likes this.
  15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Then again, Kor, Kang, and Koloth on DS9. :p

TheAlmanac likes this.
  16. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously, crest restoration therapy no longer carried whatever stigma or high price tag that it once did, perhaps the result of QuchHa' Klingons earning some honor of their own, despite being discriminated against by their HemQuch brethren.

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Could it have been a vanity fad, like people having piercings and tattoos ihn our day and age?

18. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

You mean they're skin implants like those people with extreme body modifications have?

19. Jinn

I think I read on MA that someone of the ST09 production team or at least someone involved with the film suggested that these ridges were some sort of implant, that was added after the Romulan was ashamed or did something not honorable or whatever and that these implants slowly made their way in to the Romulan DNA... However that would work. Of course I might be misremembering.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Exactly.