Romulan Condor Dreadnought

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Icy_Penguigo, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

It's done. The hull plating is inspired from the "Klingon" Bird of Prey(that always bugged me) from canon trek. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

Looks like a novel Klingon/Romulan hybrid. I particularly like the very Starfleet shuttlebay on top, although I'm not sure it fits the subject.

From a technical standpoint it looks like you've used bump-maps to make the hull panelling, going by the artifacts along some of the panel lines. It might be an idea to model as much of that detail as possible rather than relying on bump-maps for such large sections. It would also allow you add a slightly different texture to some of the panels, perhaps slightly duller or more reflective, so that it stands out a little and gives the impression the ship is really made from seperate sections and panels.

Of course if all those panel lines actually ARE modelled then ignore all that nonsense above. :)

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm.. very nice but the ship being a dreadnought you need to add a third nacelle.. ;)

4. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nice looking Rommy goodness. Nacelles are interesting.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to think that this ship looked tiny for a DN, but not anymore.

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Icy_Penguigo

The paneling is bump-mapped. Believe me, if I didn't know how to model windows, I'm definitely not gonna know how to model that! Advice is always appreciated though. :)

9. The Axeman

Simple, stencil in the panel detail and then raise the panels using whatever your equivelant of smooth-shift or bevel is. In lightwave I go into an unused layer and use the pen tool to draw out the shape of the panels, much as I would in a drawing program if I were making the bump map. I then drill or stencil that design into the ship and then select those new panels and make them stick up a few 100 millimeteres, or whatever looks right for the scale of the ship. You can add a ton of detail that way quite quickly. It's almost the reverse of making windows, and you got that no sweat.

10. regemet

regemet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very nice .It deffinately looks Rhienassu (Romulan) in design certainly mre so than the D7s in The Enterprise Incident.

11. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is this an original design of yours, Icy_Penguigo, or something from SFB?

Marian

12. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the basic shape is SFB but Icy_Penguigo has Pimped it up
    go to the Starfleet universe to see the Original ship and Miniature ship Schematics to see the large here a link

http://www.starfleetgames.com/minis/ROM/Romulan%20DN.gif

he really is bringing out some nice details
    Keep it up Icy :thumbsup:

13. Icy_Penguigo

Hmm. I didn't really think of it that way. I guess it would pretty much work the same way. I'm going to give that a shot as soon as I have time. Thanks, Axeman!

And to everyone else, thanks!

14. The Axeman

If you need an illustration of the technique there are tutorials on my website at www.axeman3d.com that might help. They're for lightwave, but the pictures show stencilling in action and will give you the idea better than a description. There's also a tutorial on using a rail to make windows match the curve of a saucer, although again it probably wont transfer exactly to your software but will illustrate a technique you might be able to adapt.

15. MarianLH

Which SFB supplement has the Condor?

Marian

16. Icy_Penguigo

It's found in Advanced Missions. Advanced Missions is the counterpart to the Basic Set, which adds the more complex stuff to the game, like maulers, scatterpacks, fighters, etc. The Romulans also get a massive boost in it, since that's where they introduce the thrid generation Hawk-series ships.

17. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

I recommend Axeman's tutorials highly. I learned more about modeling in a couple of afternoons with his tutorials than in weeks with that telephone book they call the Lightwave manual. Fantastic program, lame documentation.

18. Icy_Penguigo

Yeah, I've been so busy with ADB stuff I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet. But I fully intend to after my workload lets up for a bit. Thanks again to Axeman and everyone else for the help and advice they have readily furnished me with. :)

19. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't like before when I read the PD Romulan book. Now I do. Congrats! :thumbsup:

20. MarianLH

Thanks for the info. Advanced Missions is on my shopping list, after some miniatures and big-scale map to replace the cardboard counters.

To be honest, I don't much care for the Hawk-series ships though. I plan to stick with the bird-of-prey style ships like the Condor, War Eagle, and Snipe, with the occasional KR thrown in. I think the Hawk-series designs are ugly.

Then again, maybe you could make them look good.

Marian