Romances of the week. What if...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Oddish, May 30, 2022.

1. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

We all know Trek TNG is chock full of "one and done" romances. But what if these relationships actually had gone somewhere? How might the show have changed if...
    * Neela Daren didn't have that convenient tech background that required her to beam into firestorms? Normally, Stellar Cartography would be a pretty safe gig.
    * Jenna had really understood what she was getting into when she initiated a romance with Data?
    * Soren's "treatment" has been scheduled for a day later?
    * Khe'lar hadn't been as curious, or as efficient a snoop?
    * Odan's new host had been more to Beverly's liking?
    * Geordi... uhhh... I dunno? That chick who friendzoned him in "Booby Trap"?
    * Back to Riker. If he'd just tackled Yuta, or stunned her a few more times, or beamed her to the brig, or...?

Bonus, since I can't think of a memorable Deanna romance: What if Ian Andrew's exploration of humanity hadn't been cut short the way it was? How might his life on the Enterprise have unfolded?

2. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

What if the Bynars left the fully-realized Minuet behind?

Mrs. Silvercrest, maneth and Oddish like this.
  3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Maybe this topic should have been all about Riker romances. We could even sneak in Tom Riker's dalliances with Troi and Kira.

dupersuper likes this.
  4. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

I thought Devinoni Ral and Deanna were pretty memorable...alot in common, some very sexy scenes.....could have gone further if he'd succeeded in persuading her to be his "conscience" and run away with him.
    I liked Riker and Minuet alot too...and she did show up later as his imaginary "wife." Picard and Nella Daren - another good duet.

maneth likes this.
  5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, no one needed their romance of the week to stick around longer than Wesley needed Robin Lefler. 5 minutes after he never saw her again, his whole life became a disaster

6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I could have seen Picard and Nella going the distance. They had already navigated the other obstacles of commander/subordinate romance. And like I said, a stellar cartographer is not typically sent into harm's way.

It would never have flown in non-serialized 80's Trek, but can you imagine Ian Andrew as a yearlong guest character? He's a baby first time we see him, then about 4 next episode, then spends a couple as an 8 year-old. And as we go, we see him in adolescence, young adulthood, maturity, and old age. And he "dies" of old age in the 2nd season clip show, which replays scenes from that season, and his life. In other words, his planned exploration of the human experience is completed, rather than cut short.

Farscape One and danellis like this.
  7. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

It might have been more interesting if Geordi had worked through his issues with Aquiel instead of (presumably) waiting until Leah either split from hubby or he died.

I always felt he had a lot more chemistry with Susanna Leitjen in Identity Crisis than either of them - it might initially be a bit weird because their relationship was written as a non-biological sibling one, but hey watch The Flash if you don't think that can work.

maneth and Mojochi like this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then perhaps the question of holographic/AI sentience/sapience could have been addressed sooner in the series. Maybe she would have gotten her own holographic universe to explore, like Moriarty.

Kor

XCV330, maneth and Ragitsu like this.
  9. MarkusTay

MarkusTay Commander Red Shirt

We need a Picard episode where Dr. Pulaski saved and then married Moriarity.

10. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Teri Hatcher's character that got together with the Outrageous Okona- I could have stood to see more of her, along with Ens 3-boobs (in Total Recall) getting together with Data to explore that 'full functionality' in a hot threesome.

Okay, truthfully, I actually don't want to see that. But someone started the damn thread... :ouch:

somebuddyX and maneth like this.
  11. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Not sorry. :nyah:

12. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If all of those relations had gone somewhere, TNG would have become a rather sticky lovefest, I'd imagine.

Most would have had several lovers. Take Picard for example, he would have to balance his time between Beverley, Lt. Darren, Vash, Kamala and Anji (and possibly even several others, for example judge Philippa from measure of a man).

It would put the Love Boat (in spaaaaaaaace!) to shame.

maneth likes this.
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

And Troi would have to make time for both Riker twins!

maneth likes this.
  14. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never understood what people see in Minuet, she's literally Riker's personalised Wank Mag. Plus that awful 1980s-trying-to-imitate-the-1950s make-up :barf: (though the actress *does* look better when her make-up isn't applied via Homer Simpson's make-up gun)

While also being married to Wyatt Miller, who'd still be pining for Arianna, or would she also be there and there'd be some sort of ploy-amorous relationship between those three and the Riker "brothers"?

I have a hard time thinking of a Romance of the Week I'd actually want to see continue, most of them a pretty bad.
    But I guess Picard entering a long-term relationship with Nella Darren and eventually marrying her would have been nice.
    Plus it would have broken the Star Trek mould of showing a relationship between two more mature characters, instead of going for the conventional "young and sexy"

maneth likes this.
  15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I was wondering about an alternate universe where Data hooked up with a Vulcan. I think that could have worked for a bit.

maneth likes this.
  16. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After K'Ehleyr was killed, they should have brought Doctor Selar back so that she and Worf could hook up while still utilizing the chemistry between Michael Dorn and Suzie Plakston.

Honestly, they should have just brought Doctor Selar back period, but...

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

100%!

I think we'd need a full list of "romance of the week" encounters for the characters and then start to look at the pros and cons to each of them and see who might be a suitable match.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  18. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Good idea. Some of these romances were definitely better than others.

19. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

What if Ro and Riker hit it off?

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Maybe she wouldn't have turned traitor.

maneth likes this.