Roland Emmerich & Dean Devlin want to make Independence Day 2 (ID42?)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Complete interview at Latino Review

According to Roland Emmerich, they have a story and Will Smith is interested (Bad Boys II, Men in Black II, Hancock II, I Am Legend 0, Independence Day 2?), but Smith would be getting major $$$$$$ (gross profit percentage), so Fox wants to do it without Smith but Emmerich won't do it without him? Well that's what he says anyway.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Re: Roland Emmerich & Dean Devlin want to make Independence Day 2 (ID4

Wow this again? They come out and say that they want to do a sequel to ID4 every six months. Six months after that it's Stargate.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Emmerich said 2012 would be his last "end of the world" film or does Independence Day not count? Either way I'd like to see Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Vivica A. Fox and Bill Pullman return. The last two aren't required (Fox and Smith could always be divorced at the time of the sequel and Pullman would obviously be a retired, former president) but I think Smith and Goldblum's participation are a must.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

What possible plot could ID4 sequel do that would be different from the 1st movie ??? I love sequels but this is one we DO NOT NEED. :scream:

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You wouldn't want to see the movie set 200 years later where man tracks these bastards down and takes their home world?

O?

That was battle for Terra?

Or how about a movie where man has to deal with all the refugees from the failed invasion?

O.

That's district 9

prequel?

Wat the hell did happen in Rosewell?

The same invasion again except taken from the new perspectives of different characters, and even maybe the aliens getting their ass kicked? Oh, and then there'd a be special feature edition where the two movies are merged, picture in a picture and they keep forest gumping through each other!

Yup. :)

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the aliens travel back in time and actual try and stop Independence day from ever happening, Independence Day TU, A Wild Nemesis's Generational insurrection of a Wrath Contact.....oh and they attack earth with big metal spiders this time round.

Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum's characters are lawmen on a steam boat that sales the mississippi holding chess tournaments for big money, but when they and get together to fight the aliens they embark on one hell of a roller coaster of action and comedy sequences, and then at the end of the movie one simple little thing kills all the aliens when we find their technology cant function and their aliens bodies cant deal with one little thing called dust.

Obviously we need to put something in for a sequel right at the end, a alien hand moving in the dust or a cow giving birth to a alien/bovine hybrid...

Any who i would be up for ID4 2...II...Too, well what ever they name it, i enjoyed the first immensely.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would love an ID4 sequel as that movie is a treasured childhood memory. Maybe the second time the aliens invade, mankind has reverse engineered a fleet of UFOs to fight back with!

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it would be something along the lines of some aliens survived, built a transmission device and called for backup.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I liked the book that came out many years later that dealt with Dr. Okin starting up Area 51 and studying the Roswell support craft.

Come on, Area 51 had to be doing something for those 30 years considering the craft didn't start working until the mothership came.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I once heard of an idea where a second wave of aliens arrive. Everyone has disbanded due to differences and the aliens prey on that.

Oh and New York is destroyed again :)

Guy-There must be another way of doing the credits!

Guy2-That's right! Every time a disaster movie is made they destroy our city!.

Directed By Roland Emmerich

Citizens-Leave us alone, Roland Emmerich!!

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Will never be made. They have been trying to do this movie for years and years and years. Will Smith doesn't want to do this movie, he hasn't for years and years, and no one will give him the money to do so.

They could easily make the movie without him and have his wife's son be the main character or something stupid.

The one good thing, everyone will be 15 years older, that gives them enough time to rebuild everything to destroy it again. :lol:

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The destruction of Butte, Montana just doesn't have the same ring to it.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yes, they're weird belief that they can do a sequel to Stargate that ignores the television continuity.

Look, regardless of your opinions on SG-1/SGA/SGU it can't be denied that the only reason anyone still cares about the original Stargate movie is because of the TV shows.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I can see Will Smith being/becoming preisdent in ID4 2.

:techman:

15. The Wormhole

I got to say, though I remember enjoying ID4 as a kid, I recentally re-watched it, and found it lacking. Yes, it looks cool, and gets bonus points for most of the effects actually being models as opposed to CGI. But that's it. It looks cool. The actual story is far from compelling and kind bad in parts. I can't really see how a sequel could be any good. Sure, it would be interesting how the world rebuilt itself after the alien attack, but somehow that doesn't sound like the direction a sequel to an action movie would go.

16. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh good Lord, no...

17. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eat your words! :mad: ID4 is a childhood/teenhood classic of mine. Between 96 and 2000 I must have seen the movie at least 50, if not 70 times. And yes, it still holds up to this day. Sue me. :p

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Every movie he makes is lacking in story.

ID$ is an movie the top 50 B movie made in the 90s, I love it. :lol:

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

There's still plenty of story to be told in the ID4 universe.

All we saw at the end of the movie was the American forces crippling the mothership and downing a single city-ship. There's no indication that the mothership was destroyed as far as I can remember (though it's been a while) as I don't see a single small tactical nuke taking out something a quarter the size of the moon. Likewise, all we saw was the city-ship crashing in the background.

There could have been countless survivors on the city-ship (not to mention all the drone ships still in the dogfight), the mothership could be repaired, and we have no idea if the rest of the world was able to coordinate their own attack before the individual city-ships regained their shields.

Tons and tons of story possibilities there. Not to mention the whole dynamic of why the aliens left their own homeworld to live like interstellar locusts.

20. The Wormhole

I think part of the problem I had with ID4 was although my memory of it had faded, I still remembered other Emmerich and Devlin movies, which sadly are very similar.

Seriously, you got heroic academics who are losers at the beginning but save the day by the end, prominence of the military, politicians making an ass out of themselves, destruction of New York, an obsession with various types of aircraft, having the story told from perspectives of completely different people living completely different lives which somehow all get united by the end, nukes saving the day, and so on.

For this reason, I don't think I'll be bothering with 2012.