News Robert & Rebecca Rodriguez developing modernized, female-led "Zorro" series for NBC

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 10, 2020.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Sofia Vergara's LatinWe is producing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There was a female-led Zorro knockoff 20 years ago (wow, that long?) called Queen of Swords. Sony sued them for infringing on the Zorro rights, though a judge ruled that the concept was in public domain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_Swords_(TV_series)

The leading lady was absolutely gorgeous, but I found the premise implausible. This tall, beautiful, black-haired noblewoman with swordfighting skills arrives in town and clashes with the corrupt governor, and days later a tall, beautiful, black-haired masked swordswoman shows up and fights against the governor's men, and somehow nobody suspects a connection, even though her lacy mask does little to conceal features that every man who met her would surely have studied with intense interest.

I guess this new one is different, though, since it's a contemporary take whose heroine is inspired by the character, rather than a period piece. I missed that at first.

Another thing I missed -- the quoted text says she "fights for social injustice." That line needed an edit...

3. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A period setting would make more sense ... Show how a woman "hero" in a male dominated government/bad guys etc.in the old west.. Owell.

4. Christopher

I dunno, a story about someone fighting against corrupt, rich political leaders seems very timely.

5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And sounds like a dozen of other shows.

The period setting for me would make it more interesting and set it apart.. But owell. There show.
    Hell set it in the 1910's before the women right to vote.

6. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

I watched that show...

I was actually more smitten with Elsa Pataky than the lead actress though. ;)

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

There was also a female Zorro back in the 1940s played by Linda Stirling, one of my favorite serial actresses. Her serial was called ZORRO'S BLACK WHIP if I remember correctly.

8. Christopher

Wouldn't a female Zorro be Zorra, though?