RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Char Aznable, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Char Aznable

Char Aznable Lieutenant Commander

2. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: RLM finally did it.

Awesome! But that motherf-- gentleman -- still owes me a pizza roll.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Hilarious and very true! I love this guys reviews!

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I was just going to post about this. Excellent review! Of course he's spot-on with almost everything he says. And I'm glad he dialed down on the creepy serial killer stuff.

5. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Redlettermedia does Star Trek

Mr Plinkett reviews Star Trek.

I'm not sure if there's a youtube video up yet, but there's a video on his webpage above.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Just brilliant. He's spot on too. I love the film as a film. The second you try to think of it as a part of the Trek legacy it kinda falls apart in my mind, but if you don't think about it and just enjoy it, it remains brilliant.

8. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like I said to a fellow fan in the cinema lobby after seeing the film, it's Star Trek lite.

Not meant at all as a put down of the film. Its just that I have my box sets of The Original Series, TAS, the special editions of the TOS films to watch, so I can just kick back and enjoy the easy servings of Trek action.

Or perhaps put it like this, you find your Dad's first car in the scrap yard, fix it up, change the paint colour, fit bucket seats, fancy wheels, new engine. While he's disappointed its not the original, he still likes to drive it around town, appreciating the looks he's getting in it now.

In fact, you could also forget those first two ideas and put it like this.
    Where the crew go back in time to the 1940s? Where by trying to be as faithful as they can to the original timeline, Fry still ends up having sex with his grandmother... So instead they just go in guns a-blazing, exposing their futuristic alien selves to the past and they all go home happy.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fantastic, and his review is spot on. :D

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Redlettermedia does Star Trek

[maxwell smart voice]
    Missed by that much!
    [/maxwell smart voice]

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

When the movie came out, and people asked me as a lifelong Trekkie what I thought of it, I said that it was "the best Star Wars movie in decades" - so I most enjoyed the Wars discussion.

A solid review indeed. Could have been a bit shorter and had some more goofy (not serial killer) moments, but a good piece overall. The talk about the brainy vs. fun movie spectrum was pretty cool... except TMP still blows! :p

Now, enough dilly-dallying. Let's have our Sith review!

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Well, at least it wasn't as obnoxious as the TNG reviews (I'll never get on the 'RLM is a genius' bandwagon after his unfair maligning of "Star Trek: First Contact"), but he spent way too much time nitpicking about inconsequential stuff like the look of engineering and Starfleet Academy.

It seems his analysis can be more insightful when he basically likes the movie and therefore isn't taking cheap shots (with the exception of his "Phantom Menace" piece- the only instance where I feel he actually managed to be insulting and clever at the same time).

13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

That was actually a very fair and accurate review. I was afraid it was going to be lopsided bashing.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: Redlettermedia does Star Trek

Stand by to merge... and loving it!

15. bearcat`

bearcat` Cadet

Brilliant? Brilliant. What movie were YOU watching?

11 minutes into the movie, and I had to quit.

First of all, I'm guessing that the "Star Date" is determined by examining the relative position of the stars....the universe is constantly expanding post big bang, at a fairly consistent rate. Therefore, you measure time by the position of stars, right?

So. The huge bad-guy ship shows up. The bad guys demand that the captain come over in a shuttle to negotiate cease-fire terms. Once he arrives, they ask the captain what the star date is.

What the fu*k? A ship that sophisticated, and they don't auto-scan the surrounding on arrival, and pretty much instantaneously know the star date? Explain that.

And why come over on a shuttle instead of beam over? Well, some pretty good reasons, and this is at least one good aspect of the movie......the bad guys have shields up, and it stands to reason that would prevent transporter beams just as much as phaser fire. But....I strongly suspect I'm giving the writers too much credit. Eleven minutes in, and this movie is a steaming pile of turd.

Really the first "uck" moment was on deck in the background...there is a crew member that is clearly not human, but is also just as certainly humanoid. This has been the bane of bad SF movies and TV for decades. They at least had an excuse for putting a rubber mask on a guy and calling that an alien, decades ago when budgets were tight and technology sucked, but this is the CGI age for crissakes. Sweet baby jesus, the aliens all came from different gravity, different atmospheres. How the hell can they all be on the same command deck, at ONE temperature, ONE atmospheric pressure, breathing the same air mixture, under the same gravity? What the fuck??? At least a couple would be in space suits. But we get mister crew member in a rubber mask....and later, the delivery nurse is just another humanoid alien with heavy makeup....but caucasian skin, of course. Retch.

Now, if you're going to finally answer the question of "where did life come from" with the answer " billions of years ago, a humanoid master race planted genetic seeds of approximate similarity in numerous solar systems, resulting in a broad variety of extremely-similar humanoid races" then, okay, I'd grudgingly accept it.

So, two arms, two legs, a head with two eyes, etcetera. Some funny rubber skin, move a couple of things around, maybe model the "alien" on an Earth animal. Retch and/or yawn. But where is the variation at least due to the fact that they came from different planets? For gods sake! Humans get a sunburn if there is a tiny variation in sunlight. You're gonna tell me that half a dozen alien types can be on the command deck with humans, and not be screaming in agony from the light being too dark, or too bright? Where is the equipment they're using to cope? What. The. Fuck!

Next puke moment is Mister Kirk. Yes, of course, when I'm evacuating an entire starship single-handedly, naturally there is going to be ample time to be carrying on a conversation over the radio with my pregnant wife.

Next puke moment is his pregant wife, who looks about 40 years old....yet Kirk looks like he is maybe 22 years old? It's not impossible, but...uck. Worst of all, of course, the actress su*ks donkey b*lls. Just horrible. And of course, as the baby is squirting out, they cut to scenes of the escape shuttles squirting out of the ship.
    What a massive fu*king FAIL.

And, of course, they hold the conversation about what to name the kid at the moment of his birth. That's real credible......in the previous nine months, it just never occured to them to discuss this, but now that I'm ramming the starship into the bad guys, lets chat about baby names.

Whoever did this movie needs to have lighter fluid poured into his eyes and lit.

16. tauntme

tauntme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, "Bambi 2, WTF?"

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But what's with the hating on "Parallels"? I haven't seen it in decades, but isn't that generally considered one of the series' best? :p

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he was joking, but I looked it up and sure enough, "Bambi II". :lol:

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

It is. But I'm sure Plinkett was more or less talking about the concept of mulitple parallel timelines as established by the episode; not the episode itself.

Anyways, bring on the ROTS review! :drool:

20. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone know the music he plays at the end of his reviews??

It's catchy