Riddick Returns ?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved Pitch Black and Chronicles had it's problems but I'd really like to see more of Riddick and that particular universe.
    Seems like plans for sequels are not dead.

From Dark Horizons http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080825l.php :

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Riddick, too. Chronices was an insane mess, but sometimes I don't hold that against a movie. :D

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would definitely be up for more Riddick movies I own the first two, the animated movie, and the game Escape From Butcher Bay as well.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I LOVE Pitch Black, but I have a lot of issues with The Chronicles of Riddick. I would prefer them going back to the basics, but based on those quotes, that doesn't sound like the direction they're going for.

5. Quo Vadimus

Quo Vadimus Vice Admiral Premium Member

Color me interested. While I too have issues with Chronicles, I was interested in where the story was truly headed. I hope the wait is worth it.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Well, really, what else is there to say about Pitch Black? It's just your standard Aliens rip-off. It's an exceptionally good Aliens rip-off but it never really rises above that genre.

OTOH, The Chronicles of Riddick left at a really interesting place. I didn't much care for most of the movie but the ending seemed to lead into a sequel that I am VERY interested in.

"You keep what you kill."

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I have tried to watch Chronicles of Riddick three times and every time I get about an hour in and just totally loose track of what's going on. Literally not a clue and that comes from someone who likes Lynch's Dune, which this film sometimes feels like it's emulating.

On the other hand I really like Pitch Black, Dark Fury and the "Escape From Butcher's Bay" computer game so I'd be interested to see more of Vin, because I know that guy can act, he just needs to escape the "Stallone" trap of getting pulled into crap "star vehicle" type films.

Come to think of it, I think I'd rather see "Butcher's Bay" adapted as a film rather than an continuation of "Chronicles". After the last one bombed I doubt he'll get much in the way of funding and a prison movie can be nice and cheep with it's dingy lighting and claustrophobic sets.

Oh yeah and it looks like Babylon A.D. will tank as well, so he really needs something with quality to save his career before he's written off as box office poison.

8. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I would love to see "Chronicles of Riddick" sequels...

I'm a big fan of both movies. It's tragic that such an original work seems to be so disliked. As a SF fan it is great to see such truly alien environments brought to life on screen.

Reverend, have you tried to watch the "Director's cut" of COR, or just the regular version?

9. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

Hyperspace05 has a point... the "Director's Cut", with the inclusion of 15 minutes, is a far superior film to the one shown in theatres. Seriously-- it's amazing the difference that just a few extra lines of back story can make.

10. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing than mainly turned me off to Riddick was vin diesel who generally sucks.

Aside from that I think he's smoking some really good joo joo to think that the only reason they haven't made sequels yet is because he and twohy haven't finished the script yet. Isn't this the same twohy that claimed to have the story already mapped out and refused to le the suits see the rest of the story to whet their appetite for more?

With the performance the first one had it's not likely in the near term and it will depend on what type of popularity vin diesel films will have between now and whenever the script is "ready".

11. Captain Ryan

Captain Ryan Captain Captain

I feel the same way.

12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

It was meant to be a trilogy anyway. He was signed for three films and the director has plans for three, it's just that it didn't do well in the box office, though since then with domestic box office and DVD sales, it's recouple all it's money and profitted a little.

I remember a couple years ago Diesel said after filming "Hannibal" (not the Lecter movie) that they'd start the next Riddick. But that film still hasn't started filming.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

This is good news. I really liked the world they created with Chronicles and I'd like to see more. Of course, since Chronicles didn't do as well as they had hoped, I'm pretty sure that the next two won't get as big a budget to work with. I hope they can do a good job with less, and honestly, I think they can. Look what they're accomplishing production-wise with shows like Battlestar Galactica. As for the story, ideally, I'd like to see things pick up where Chronicles left off. I don't know how doable that is though.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's good to know. I'll have to check out that version at some point.

It's amazing how director's cuts improve movies. Just look at Kingdom of Heaven. I HATED the movie when I saw it in theaters, but now having seen the director's cut, I love it. :lol:

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's strange because the Chronicles of Riddick starts out so strong and fizzles so badly by the end, off the top of my head I can't think of any film that goes from one extreme to the other like it. Maybe the sequels can offer Refridgera the cold sister world to Crematoria...

16. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

movies where the main character is an untouchable badass just really turn me off.

17. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I read about this on another forum yesterday. I really hope they make more CoR movies. ;)

18. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I liked Chronicles of Riddick better than Pitch Black. I enjoyed the Necromongers. I loved the brutal end of the Lord Marshal.

19. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope it happens.

20. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I like both movies. I like how they share the universe and character but are completely different.

I'd like to see more.