Rewatching Episodes: Obsession

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Trekfan12, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Trekfan12

Trekfan12 Captain Captain

I was watching this episode last night. Many of Star Trek episodes had to do with messages at the core of the Sci Fi setting. I'm not sure what message one can take away from this? I can understand how Kirk feeling guilty for what happened to the captain of the Farragut. But he was putting his command in jeopardy by not getting perishable drugs where they needed to be.

And he put his and Ensign Farragut's life in jeopardy by going down to the planet's surface instead of letting Spock do it. I know this is not the first time Kirk put his life in peril against what he should have 'logically' did.
    Spock got a lesson in obsession. I liked the scene when he asks McCoy for advice and he says "I need a drink."

2. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say you already know the answer from the above: obsession of any kind can cause bad bad lapses in judgment.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or: obsess with diligence, trusting but yourself and believing in your cause, because that is what it takes to save the universe?

Timo Saloniemi

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This isn't a bad study into how Kirk thinks. Over the years lots of folks have labeled Kirk as impulsive and undisciplined. And yet, here, his instincts prove right as he reasons out--in his own way--what has to be done.

Spock--going strictly by logic and apparent facts--would have filed the incident at the beginning and gone on to rendezvous with the Yorktown. But Kirk's intuition and personal knowledge went beyond what could be found in the Farragut's records. He did border on obsession overwhelming him, but overall he didn't let it rule him. He channeled his obsession into overcoming a genuinely serious threat.

geotrek, Gary7, Captain Rob and 2 others like this.
  5. CAPTRousseau

CAPTRousseau Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Warped9. I like your analysis.

6. ST-321

ST-321 Lieutenant Red Shirt

What struck me about this episode is that in an earlier episode (Metamorphosis) they encountered an intelligent cloud and were able to communicate with it. Here, they never even tried - it was just a monster.

7. HuckleCat

HuckleCat Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Spock's approach would have saved crew lives in the short term. But they probably would have had to face the cloud again eventually

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was younger, I thought this was an OK episode, but not a favorite. I would have preferred other aliens involved, or a more interesting world for the landing party to visit.

But now, being a few decades older, I must say that this is really a terrific episode. It's an excellent examination of a captain's mental fitness. I could see this playing out in the real world, a naval officer having his destroyer going after a quick running highly evasive ISIS combat vessel.

You get to see Kirk's excellent character. He is obsessed. Rightly so, his XO and CMO call him on it. And, he takes it in. He knows what they're trying to do and he completely understands it. He acknowledges their credibility. When you see Kirk show this character trait, able to exercise self-examination, you see his wonderful balance of captaincy and humanity. I think Shatner really shined in this episode. A real testament to what make TOS so great.

GNDN18 likes this.
  9. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Dammit! I'm obsessed with watching Obsession. :whistle:

Vandervecken and johnnybear like this.
  10. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great music, Kirk settling an old score, what more do you want?
    JB

geotrek, Vger23 and Spock's Barber like this.
  11. Timo

...A follow-on that, in addition to having the usual dramatic things, explains what the hell happened on or near the Farragut to kill 200 people but leave James "phaser station" Kirk alive?

This has been debated many times, and while that's a fun pastime, the episode doesn't really benefit from leaving the issue obscure. How come Kirk only learns the key facts about the creature in this episode, and not in the event 11 years prior already?

Timo Saloniemi

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He may have almost died. By the time he recovered physically and woke up, he didn't want to know about it- too much trauma and pain - visited the therapist the obligatory time and was signed off to return to duty.

Finding the thing years later re-awakens his dormant obsession.

13. Timo

Kirk did say he lost consciousness. Did this happen because of blood loss to the cloud creature, or because there was a hole in the Farragut, or because Kirk bumped his head? One of the many things left unclear...

Timo Saloniemi

14. Spock's Barber

I wanted Garrovick to replace Chekov as a regular crew member. :)

johnnybear, Trekfan12 and GNDN18 like this.
  15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, quite frankly, not every show needs to have a "message."

Sometimes entertainment is just that- a fun, engaging drama for an hour or two. Star Trek sometimes had "messages," but was more often than not just a fun, intelligent distraction for an hour or so.

Trekfan12 and Spock's Barber like this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing about this episode that stretches credibility a bit is the idea that Garrovick just happens to pop up at the exact same time this story unfolds, and then is never seen again.

Other than that, this one has always been one of my "sleeper favorites."

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

'Twas basically Moby Dick.

geotrek likes this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, not replace, but at least show up now and again (and not get killed off).

Yeah. I wonder what "tall stories" Kirk told him about his dad?

Vger23 likes this.
  19. Spock's Barber

Garrovick was lucky. He wore a redshirt and he survived The Great Redshirt Massacre in Obsession. ;)

Vger23 likes this.
  20. geotrek

geotrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly. However, Kirk shows his superiority to Ahab--no surprise there--in the fact that neither he, nor his ship, was destroyed.