Report: Gay NFL player "strongly considers" coming out

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by chrisspringob, Mar 26, 2013.

1. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...sphere-is-safe-for-gay-nfl-player-to-come-out

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I can't wait for the day when a person's sexuality stops being news.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope this player does go through with it. I have a feeling it may not be as bad as he thinks it might be. Now if this were 20 to 30 years ago, that would be different but today -- I think the fans would accept it, the players too. With respect to those two groups, I just don't think it would be a problem.

However, if it is a high profile player, one who has endorsement deals, that could be a problem. Sponsors tend to shy away from ANY controvesies no matter the nature of the controversey.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I just hope that day arrives in my lifetime.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as sports teams are segregated into male and female only, you can't expect homosexuals to be treated properly.

Sports are not separated because males are stronger than females. That might be true in some cases, but it's bullshit in general. It's all just an extension of the fact that we don't allow school sports to be mixed because the little ones might see the private places of their class mates of the opposite gender. If a boy turns out to be homosexual, do you put him into the girls classes from now on?

We treat sex/gender wrongly in general. That's the basic problem. Homosexual males are "weird girly men", and that's negative. Where do you think that idea comes from? It stems from the basic idea that women are inferior to men. So homosexuals are inferior as well.

A lesbian athlete doesn't even have the same problem. It's only male gays that have to fear to become outcasts.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

No progress on this one, eh? Think it's time, I can't really see it being the disaster that it would have been 10-15 years ago. People (celebrities) come out all the time now, and it's not much of a big deal. Athletes are one of the last holdouts there.

Maybe it's Mark Sanchez, and the ass-fumble wasn't just a hilarious accident? :guffaw:

7. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Update:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...id-the-right-thing-i-20130405,0,5781613.story

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator