Remaster the Remaster TOS?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Atet, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Atet

Atet Ensign Red Shirt

After watching Star Wars Rogue One, and how they were able to put Tarkin's face on that actor using CGI... Made me think:

Why not CGI the Klingons to be consistent with TNG?

don't give me that augment virus crap either, that was a cover-up Lol

think and Gojira like this.
  2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why not CGI the Klingons to be consistent with TOS???

WraithDukat, uniderth, Kor and 3 others like this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why would I want to change the show that is the basis for the entire universe to be more consistent with what came later? The original Star Trek is what it is, for good and ill. Leave it alone.

Besides, I'm pretty sure CBS will create a new version somewhere within the next five years and that will replace the original.

uniderth likes this.
  4. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The people who make the official stuff apparently can't decide what Klingons really look like any way, so on the face of it this is a bad idea- we'd probably get, what? The 6th version of the Klingon race?

Lord Garth, RedAlert and BillJ like this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because Star Trek isn't Star Wars, and there's no obsessive-compulsive creator who feels the need to constantly change things that never needed to be changed in the first place.

WraithDukat, Lord Garth and Markonian like this.
  6. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Next question.

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't you mean Discovery? We could CG the new uniforms on the actors and everything:lol:

uniderth and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd leave the TOS Klingons alone, but if they were changed it should be extremely subtle, more along the lines if Chang, Azetbur, and Valkris than anything we see in TNG or Disco.

What I'd like to see in a re-remastering of TOS would be to use the restored 11 ft model in the Smithsonian to recreate all the original stock shots of the ship that were used in the original FX and then splice them into every episode where appropriate.

Search4 likes this.
  9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they could just redo the space vfx with CGI and be a bit more faithful to the original.
    The remastered CGI effects are horrible. They looked like crap when they aired, nowadays it's laughably how much like a bad cartoon it looks. It was a money thing. They made the effects in-house, so they didn't have to pay anyone.

EdenFX, the company that did the efects for Enterprise, actually would have been capable of making astonishingly good remastered shots for TOS. They applied for the job and put a few test renders together. On this page is a direct coparison video for a space shot andhow they would recreate if with CGI:
    https://trekmovie.com/2006/09/08/more-images-from-edenfx/

It looks amazing.
    Sadly, it would have cost as much as CGI effects for a completely new show (because it would have been entirely new effects), and that would have been expensive. So instead they put their intern in front of a computer to cobble together a bunch of cheap shots that cold be sold as "HD". Wich is a shame, considering all the care that went into the rest of the remaster - the work on image quality and sound - and especially in comparison to how above and beyond they went for the TNG remaster later on.

10. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing is that much of the film of the effects shot elements of the Enterprise survived; many of which are included in the "Vault" series blu-ray disc and they look amazing! With technology today it would not be that hard to use these and fix the existing effects without completely re-creating them which was a disaster last time around. Here are a few screen caps from the blu-rays keeping in mind that this is moving footage, not just stills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kor and Rahul like this.
  11. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ I agree. That'd be the way to go, use any recovered FX elements to recreate the effects and then use good CGI to faithfully recreate everything else.
    On a minor note, I'd like to see Jefferies original space station concept fleshed out and used in "The Ultimate Computer" in place of the stock footage of the K7 from the non-remastered and the Vanguard station used in the remastered.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not make TOS more consistent with TNG? Because it's a better show. :-)

But seriously, it would be as enjoyable as those CGI'd versions of the Star Wars movies that Lucas perpetrated.

My counterproposal would be to release an "original generation" cut of TOS, so people can see how we originally saw it, in black and white, with static and ghost images of "Bonanza"

Butters and uniderth like this.
  13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The hyperbole here is a little much. Not all of the CGI in Trek remastered was bad. Of course, given that it was what, 10+ years ago, it's starting to age, but more of it was good than bad. After having seen what is possible with even fan-film level stuff like Continues, of course, it does make one wish they would go back and redo it, but TOS at this point as a legacy property is sort of played out. The main problem I have with the remastered is with the flatness or washed-out quality of the picture. This is particularly evident in how the nacelles looked. The models were ok and the matte painting replacements were also generally ok and the movements and camera angles were fairly reserved. I just don't think it can coax enough fans to bang on plates loud enough for anything to be done. You're more like to see TMP CG remastered because there's far more interest in that.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tarkin and Leia looked dreadful for a live action production. They would have been great in a video game.

Kor

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That wouldn't reflect original broadcast, since Bonanza aired on a different night and on the same network.

uniderth likes this.
  16. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Ask George Lucas :hugegrin:

17. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The CGI really was THAT bad. It was already shit ten years ago. Nowadays it's straight up unwatchable.

You're right in that it was pretty okay when they were integrating their CGI elements into live-action shots, like with matte paintings, alternate phaser effects, or when they were switching mechanical display elements with digital ones. Mostly because - while still being subpar - the tone and style fits with the original footage.

But every shot that was 100% CGI?
    Absolute bullcrap. The new Star Wars Cartoon show has more life-like effects. And they use fucking cel-shading. It didn't help that they went completely bonkers with camera movements as well - swipes, pans, swoopes, zooms - whereas literally every other single shot of the entire series (including the original vfx shots) was more or less static. These shots super hard clashed with the aesthetic of the rest of the show.

Kor and uniderth like this.
  18. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

If we have some of the original VFX elements lets remaster those. For those that we don't have lets use CGI to faithfully recreate the original shots. If you want extra detail on matte paintings it should be VERY subtle. If you want to have some super-duper CGI-palooza version. That's fine, but it should be non-canon bonus content.

19. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I've stated on these boards before in reference to both Wars & Trek, as long as the purists can be given high-quality copies of the unaltered originals to keep them quiet, I say go to town with upgraded effects, looped dialogue, insertion of deleted scenes (after first being restored of course) the works. For example in 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', when they pick up the new broadcast that refers to the first moon landing, let's have a snippet of an actually news broadcast from that week of July 1969 referring to Apollo 11. An another example would be 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'. If they did shoot the version where Caroline Polamis is pregnant, put it as an alternate cut as we don't share the prudish sensibilities of the mid-sixties censors. As long as the core story and plot and the performances of the cast remain unchanged, then it shouldn't be verbotten.

Shaka Zulu and RedAlert like this.
  20. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

They should've stopped at cleaning up the film prints, possibly recompositing the the original effects elements, if they still existed.

What we got in the end was one of the worst examples of revisionism, right up there with the Star Wars Special Editions and Red Dwarf Remastered.