Remake of 1985's "Otherworld"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by hellsgate, May 31, 2008.

1. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Would anyone like to see a 2008 remake of 1985's "Otherworld"?

A family, on vacation in Egypt, arrive at the Sphinx. The Sphinx, built by Ancient Astronauts as a barrier between our realm & others.

This family accidentally find themselves yanked through a rift in time-space into a parallel dimension that features an equally (technically) advanced society to their own original 21st Century Earth.

Upon arrival in this new dimension, they're pursued by the military authority of this dimension. A brutal regime that seeks to exploit them, retain permanent power & keep their dimension's existence quiet. In the midst of the initial confrontation, the Family gains access to a key that can access this world's military database. A database that includes one of few available maps (as maps are largely illegal in this oppressed world,) to a techno-tropolis with the scientific ability to re-open the rift to send them home.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought Otherworld would, with minor revisions, fit pretty well into the Stargate universe.

3. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

While I liked the show, the fact it was canned after 13 episodes dosnt bode well for any remake.

4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From time to time I think of this show but forget what it was called. I remember watching it as a kid and remembering the pyramid with the eye on the back of the dollar bill was a symbol type thing in the show.

Would be interesting to see it again aired somewhere. I can't say I think a show that bombed would do well as a remake, but who knows ;)

5. js

js Captain Captain

I'd just like to see the original released to dvd.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

And don't anyone even try to tell me that you don't still think of 'Nuveen Kroll' whenever you see Jonathan Banks. :lol:

Side note: Is it true that there are five episodes of this show that never aired? In its run on TV, there were only eight that were shown. What happened to the other five?

7. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

They showed them all in the UK I think.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Ah. Any idea what the other 5 eps were about? I take it that there still wasn't a proper ending. :(

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

That's how I remember it. They've shown the missing 5 during the sci-fi channel run, so I was able to catch them, and there was no ending, it was just another episode.

I echo js when I say I'd like to have the original series come out on dvd.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Sorry for the bump, but I have found a new Otherworld site. Not only does it have complete episode guides, downloads of the (excellent, IMHO) theme music, and all that, but you can watch THE ENTIRE SERIES online...

Otherworld Online

No mention of the five 'lost episodes'. OmahaStar, can you tell us what they were like? What happened in them? Even if there's no proper ending, I'm very curious.

Apparently Ray Walston plays the same character in every show he's ever been in. "And get your own unit checked!" :guffaw:

11. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about this show from my youth.

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I always get this show confused in my head with The Fantastic Journey, an equally short-lived show about a group who 'slide' through portals across dimensions. Katie Saylor's "Liana" was hot :drool:.

Actually, I always think of him as "Frank McPike" from Wiseguy ...

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

There was another show around this time. The lead was a guy named Jared(not sure if real or character name.) Something about an ankh(key) and a pyramid and ...time-travel?
    The lead actor did some network stuff in the late 70'2 early eighties and looked kind of like Art Garfunkel. I think they shot part of it at the (then new) Century City glass towers....

14. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^^ That was The Fantastic Journey - I'd forgotten about the towers :). The actor's name was Jared Martin.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Cheesy voice overs aside, the writing wasn't half bad. At least in the episode I just rewatched. "Rock and Roll Suicide" had great charm to it and is one of my favorite episodes of any show.

16. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah i remember this show, me and my mom use to sit down and watch this together.
    She said it should of been called Anotherworld instead of Otherworld.

Its a shame this show didnt last cause it had potential and i hate to see a remake of it today cause i dont think it could be done right.

BTW any way to find out whom had the rights to this show?

I would love to write an actual letter to them letting them know this show has some fans.