Recommended Reading Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JTShanks, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JTShanks

JTShanks Lieutenant Red Shirt

What works of Trek-Lit would you recommend to a fan who is getting into or attempting to the Novelverse of Star Trek?

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you like? TOS? TNG? VOY? Do you want to jump right to the best stories or get the backstory leading up to some major books?

3. JTShanks

I like TOS the most out of the other shows... but I like them too, and basically just some good stories weather it's build up or not. Basically; what do you guys and galls recommend?

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Destiny is the obvious choice.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I would recommend "The Return", "Avenger" The Mirror Universe Trilogy and "Starfleet Academy: Collision Course" all written by William Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens. SACC takes place before TOS, while the other books pick up right in the 24th century after "Star Trek:Generations" but the main characters are Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty, while also having the crew of TNG, and characters from DS9 and Voyager in supporting roles.

7. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It really depends on the series you like. One cool thing is there are anniversary anthologies of short stories. There are also a ton of novels that are just one off stories.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really hard to just pick a book. There are tons of books in tons of different styles. Do you want a strange new worlds story, a character study, a big action packed epic, an alternate universe story, time travel, a modern day book exploring Trek's backstory, a big multibook epic?

9. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do you like DS9? I haven't read as much TrekLit as many here, but I highly recommend the Avatar duology by SD Perry. DS9-heavy (in fact these books kicked off the so-called DS9 relaunch), but the Enterprise-E makes an appearance, and also an excellent read.

10. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Vanguard Series:bolian:

11. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes!!!!! Waited much to long until I finally started to read it.

12. JTShanks

Heard a lot of things about the likes of Vanguard but never actually looked into it. Is it really that good?

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. There are 8 novels and one ebook. Vanguard 6 -Declassified contains 4 shorter stories with focus on individual characters.

I was in doubt for a long time if I would be able to get myself involved with many new characters. But it worked well. And there are some cameos. :)

14. JTShanks

Cameos? :vulcan: From whom?

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Saying in advance would spoil some of the fun; suffice it to say that a lot of awesome TOS and TOS-movie characters show up.

The series is universally fantastic though. Start and you'll be hooked right away.

16. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's sad is, i own all 8 books, i burned through the first book. Then i just never keep going with the series. But then when certain TV characters sail off into space at the end of the first book, i just have no desire to get back into the rest of the series. But i really need to, because i've been craving 23rd century stories lately.

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Man, if that first book doesn't make you want to know what happens next with the Vanguard characters, I don't know what to tell you.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This blows me away. I found the second book to drag a bit in certain places, but always thought the first book was amazing! I remember finishing it for the first time, and wanting to immediately jump into book two. Which I did. Hopefully you jump back in at some point. It's worth it :techman:

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never understood that kind of an attitude. Do not read original fiction? Just because Vanguard is a Star Trek series, doesn't mean you can't just approach it like you would a non-tie in series.

20. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ It's not a big deal. There are lots of reasons people put down a book or a series and then fail to return to it. It doesn't represent any kind of a failing or flaw. Sometimes these things just happen. No need to guilt folks over it.