Rebooted Miranda Class...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 21, 2009.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Well, I REALLY wanted to start this today, but I have hit a mental roadblock.

This is all I accomplished, after about an hours worth of staring at it...

[​IMG]

I need help. :) I don't want to do the same shaped hull as the REAL Reliant, but something different. I have been thinking about Kelvin styled secondary hulls, or something like the Nebula class... I was leaning more in that direction, but I also want two shuttlebays... the rollbar could stay or go, really.

So, does anyone have any ideas, that could maybe get me moving? I hate being stuck like this...

:)

2. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was a ship I noticed in the film that covered similar ground. It actually had two Kelvin-style secondary hulls, one for each engine nacelle.

Marian

3. MadMan1701A

Yeah, I was thinking about trying that out... a secondary hull for each nacelle. I'm also thinking about adding a 3rd Nacelle... but that might be a bit much!

4. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

The two types of Kelvin-styled bridges:
    [​IMG]

First one, is the 3 nacelled one (minus the rollbar of course)
    Second one is for the two nacelled, two engineering hull layout.

5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

This may help...

[​IMG]

6. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

A thought, slide the pylons straight back to expose SOME of them to 'space' on the upper part, then continue them over to form the rollbar similar to the vessel shown above. Don't mess with the saucer just yet... get that distinctive rollbar first - that's what people will spot.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, here is my idea, not seen in the movie, but I think it has that certain "nu-trek" style. Two short engineering hulls bridged by a wing area. Following are some really rough sketches of what I mean. Note that engine nacelles are not present. The last image is the best orientation in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have mercy on me. I only spent like ten minutes modeling this. And yea, that rollbar is hideous!

8. BolianAuthor

^

I really like that! I like the embedded warp engine version the best.

9. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

ONLY TEN MINUTES?!?!:crazy: WOW sojourner your good! Are you using blender?

10. Johnnymuffintop

I like the middle one, maybe make the front of the engineering hulls narrow, since there are two deflectors, they could be half sized.

11. MadMan1701A

hmm... are those meant to be the nacelles, or secondary hulls?

I think I might try it with two secondary hulls above the saucer (simpler than the one on Enterprise) with a RollBar in between.

12. MadMan1701A

Cool, that's awesome. :)

I'm building the 4x4 one next... I'm guessing it's the Centaurus. :)

13. MadMan1701A

OK, I think we're on to something here...... Maybe we should call it something besides "Reliant" though... any other ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kind of like the double Engineering hulls here... of course, these are just placeholders, and I will build new ones that fit the newer style, as opposed to the kelvin style.

I might move the hulls out some, and make them totally parallel to the nacelles....

14. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Class name huh? how about GEMINI? GEMINI-One of the signs of the Zodiac, shaped like TWINS. I think that's a good name for your ship due to the ''double Enfineering hulls''.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sketchup. Great program for rapid doodles like this. It's when you start getting into details that it bogs down. If I had done it as I envisioned it, the connection between the 2 hulls would look much more organic in the curves and joins. Of course the 2 hulls themselves are just cylinders.

16. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

It looks great but I think the 2 hulled variant had the nacelles on top and the hulls bellow!

17. GMSkarka

GMSkarka Lieutenant Red Shirt

No -- keep them where they are, they make a nice outward sweep with the engines. Parallel hulls would seem boxey (By which I mean "like a box", and not "small child on classic BSG").

I *love* the stuff you're doing -- and thank you for the Blender downloads on your site. Makes tinkering much easier!

18. BolianAuthor

I second that.

19. Johnnymuffintop

The ayes have it.

Oh, and a couple suggestions about the ship:
    1)Make the hulls similar to the Constitution ones, but make them mostly conical like the Kelvin's. Oh, and make them a little smaller than the current placeholders.
    2)Make the rollbar extend to the edges of the saucer. Almost so that is resembles two freeway overpasses merging into the engineering hulls.

What about the "Trike" ship? The TRIDENT class?

20. MadMan1701A

hmm, Gemini it is. :) Maybe the New "Reliant" will get built as a Gemini class, instead of a Miranda class. :)

The Engineering hulls will be a little smaller, and sleeker. the shuttlebays won't be as large as Enterprise, either.

I'm going to play with the rollbar... I don't know about it wrapping all the way around, but I had another idea....

I'm surprised no one hated the double deflector dishes. The original Reliant didn't have one, but this new one has 2. :)