Razors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Rÿcher, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

what kind of razor do you use?

I prefer the manual kind because I can get the strays around my neck. I swear, they can't make an electric that can get those bad boys. Besides, I have a half goatee (sans 'stache) - makes me look tough what with the earrings and all.
    Anyway, the manual I have is the Gillette Fusion. Does a really great job.

The electric I have is a wet/dry Norelco that dispenses the small amount of lube.

2. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I use a Norelco electric most days and just supplement with a disposable Gillette quad blade about twice a week, as necessary. I've found using the electric first really extends the life of the disposable.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have one of these too, the powered vibrating version. The blades last absolutely ages for me - about a month each - which more than offsets the higher cost compared the old Sensor3 system which I needed to change every week at best (and usually more often).

4. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

I recently moved from a manual to an electric, a Remington, becuase I felt that the cost was getting ridiculous for blades, about £10 for a pack of 5 blades for the Gilette M3 power (I think that's the right name). Ten pounds to spend on blades every month, making each blade around £2, could be and is being spent on something more worthwhile, for groceries anyway.

5. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been using a Mach 3 for years. It's been a good, reliable razor, even though the blades are kind of expensive. I have a Norelco electric razor but I'm very particular about a smooth shave, so I rarely use it for anything other than the trimmer attachment.

These days, though, I often only shave every now and then and normally sport some stubble the rest of the time. Tried a full beard for a while, but these days I just use a Norelco beard trimmer on the lowest setting, leaves a nice "unshaved" look. I still use the Mach 3 on my neck, the beard goes down too far for my taste.

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I used to use a manual Mach 3 but eventually I changed to electric, once that electric shaver broke I got a new one but it was crap because it kept pulling at my facial hair and was very painful so I resorted to buying a pack of cheap manual bic razors and they're actually fantastic and cause me no pain and I rarely have to go over the same area twice.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I started with those yellow-bag disposable razors of Bic.

I then moved to an electric Norelco 3-blade rotating razor, which not only barely covered my facial hair but was obscenely effective at irritating my skin.

When I moved to Iowa, I bought a Gillette Mach 3, and I haven't looked back. I work in an office where it's beyond perfectly acceptable to have two or three days' worth of facial hair growth, and after pairing the Mach 3 with Edge Gel, I love the end results.

8. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I cut my face to shreds with those!

9. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

That only happens to me when the blade has been used for too long, I just open up a new one and everythings fine.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to go with stores brand packs of 3 blade disposables. I hate that they're not 'environmentally friendly' but the price of replacement cartridges is flippin rediculous. Its usually cheaper to just buy a whole new razor with a couple of extra blade carts than a pack of blades.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  11. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Gillette sensor razor. I tried an electric once and didn't like it. Now I wouldn't even know what to look for. So I stick with the blades.

12. Surefire

Surefire Captain Captain

Only electric.

No way in hell do I want to slice my face with a razor.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Electric razors don't do it for me, I use a 5 blade Fusion which lasts me months!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  14. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

I used to use a Mach 3, but recently switched to Fusion. As far as ability to cut hair and closeness of shave, I don't notice a difference between the two. They both last a long time too (For me, when I was just shaving my face I could get 3 months out of a blade. Now that I shave my head too I get about two weeks... I shave my face once every two or three days, and my head every 4-6 days.

However, I have one problem with each:

Mach 3: My hair likes to stick between the blades, so when it's been six days since I last shaved my head I have to constantly rinse the blade and go over it two or three times. With the Fusion the hair slides through the blades easily and rinsing it pretty much optional, most times I can shave completely and rinse the blade once when I'm done.

Fusion: That "precision" blade on the back is pretty much useless except for slicing up my fingers. Most of the time it doesn't cut deep enough to draw blood, and when it does, it's very little, but it's annoying.

15. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I shave in the shower, and it saves my blades by about a week or even more. Also if you take your razor and pat it dry on a CLEAN towel, it will help save the blade too. In fact, I've gotten so I can extend the life of a Mach 3 or Fusion to about 5 weeks or 6 doing that...granted, I don't shave my head anymore, I just buzz it back with clippers.

I use Mach 3's and Fusions, depending on my mood. I keep one of each loaded and exchange their use every few days. I can't use an electric razor as it changes the way my beard grows and I end up with bad razor bumps as a result.

Oh, and you guys know there's a relatively new product for manscaping the back hair (you know you have it).

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I've getting jealous here - I just manage to 5 shaves out of a blade and using a the Fusion that gets expensive (the blades here in Australia are about $AU18 or just under $US12) with the Fusion power about 20% more.

I've pretty much tried them all Quatro, Mach-3, Sensor etc.

Also I wonder if Gillette are trying to phase out the Mach-3 - they've been running an advertising campaign encourgaing people to swap up to the Fusion)

17. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I use Schick Quattro for women.

It's pink. :D

18. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use a Schick Quattro. I used to use a Gillette Fusion and the Schick is much better!

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

But how much more do you pay for it come in pink?

20. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I use a Remington electric razor, similar to this model. Not as good a shave as a manual razor, of course, but once you know how to use a good electric razor properly, you can do a pretty good job.