Rape Gangs

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Further, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Further

Further Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ms. Yar claimed she learned how to avoid the Rape Gangs for some 15 years on her home planet.

That fact does not rule out her being "caught" one or more times, then learning to avoid them afterwards.

So do we know if she was ever raped by the Rape Gangs? Or is being raped somehow incompatible with the Roddenberry vision of a perfect future.

2. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

What answer do you want?
    This is just weird.

3. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

Yes. The rape gangs on Yar's planet never actually raped anybody. It was like the Roadrunner/Coyote thing and the potential rape victims won each time.

4. Further

Yes, no, or maybe. I'm not harboring some desire for Tasha Yar to have been raped, I'd just like to know one way or another.

I'd be surprised if she was able to completely avoid them a full 15 years when apparently the streets were littered with rape gangs and other riff-raf.

But considering her righteous speech about the stupidity of drug addiction, maybe she was a nun or something in her youth.

5. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FTW

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This topic will not end well. :lol:

7. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Disturbing.

8. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

They cought me once :( But they said that they were misunderstood and infact were Rap Gangs.

9. Brutal Strudel

Aw, c'mon. Tell me you aren't picturing Tasha as a half-starved, dirty faced urchin saying "meep meep!" as the rape gang plummets off a cliff (after standing in mid-air for a few seconds) and hits the ground in a puff of dust. Now tell me you aren't picturing it with 1987 tv special effects.

10. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Or maybe thet were a Therapist Gang going around trying to help all of the poor people on the planet but somebody vandalized their sign so that there was an unfortunate space between the e and the r.

11. Brutal Strudel

"Rape Gang? I thought you said Grape Gang! Boy, is my face red!"
    --The Kool-Aid Man, right before he was [censored] to death with a [censored] and a [censored]

It was a tragedy for the ages.

12. Further

Oh, come on, no one is really thinking about that, at least the "meep meep" part.

Didn't Tasha star in some softcore holopr0n? Clearly, exploiting herself in such a blatant way must have been a result of the lack of self confidence and respect nurtured by her experience with Rape Gangs

13. Brutal Strudel

We are bad people.

14. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, we are bad people.

But, they probably caught her at least once. We once saw her tell her pet cat to run because it wasn't "safe here anymore" as a rape gang closed in on her.

And, after all, Roddenberry's future isn't prefect. The latest movie raped my childhood.

15. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Deliberately provocative post is deliberately provocative.

16. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

Did she ever say that she was caught? If she had I'm sure her attitude may have somehow been different when mentioning the gangs.

17. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

18. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The vandals were a rival gang, "Thepenismightiers". :p

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the hell kind of gang is a rape gang, anyway? Rape does not put food on the table. It's just not a very productive pursuit; it's more of a hobby, or after-school activity.

20. Brutal Strudel

I dunno--seems to me that a woman like Tasha, strong yet not in full control of her emotions and who completely loses it when placed in a situation where she is powerless (witness how she reacted to Q, inciting him to freeze her on one occasion and put her in the "penalty box" on another, and how she died, recklessly defying Armus before she had the slightest idea what she was dealing with) shows signs of being a rape survivor.

I could also see her being somewhat cavalier when talking about the gangs--on her planet, traumatic though it may be, rape would have been a commonplace and Tasha, in order to reclaim herself, might make a point of not shying away from that part of her past. Just the same, she wouldn't necessarily talk about actually being raped, again for the sake of maintaining control and for the sake of simple decorum.