Rank the Trek shows

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BlueStuff, Oct 27, 2017.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In your order of preference.

1 - Deep Space Nine (most consistent and highest emotional investment for me, loved the tone, the storytelling, and the characters)
    2 - The Next Generation (most familiar and comforting for me, it's the most purely watchable)
    3 - The Original Series (campy and inconsistent at times, but excellent sci-fi stories)
    4 - Enterprise (I'm still working my way through season 3 but so far I think it's a better production than...)
    5 - Voyager (still enjoyable but lots of wasted potential and highly formulaic)

Haven't seen TAS, and it's obviously too early to place Discovery.

DarKush and Armus like this.
  2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS, best of the best.
    TNG, quality, although I still find some the "norms" of this 24th century society disturbing.
    VOY, comfortable, I like the people.
    ENT, failed experiment, but interesting none the less.
    TAS ,enjoyable, glad they were made.
    DS9, whole seasons are just grating, other than Jake and O'Brien, can't see myself wanting to be around any of these people.
    DIS, based upon what TPTB have presented so far, bottom of the barrel.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager
    TOS
    TNG
    Have seen those - thoroughly

DS9

Enterprise (hardly seen it)
    Discovery early days .. it needs to be less grim..

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

1st -- DS9: Most mature, most relevant to the contemporary world; it occupies a unique niche in the franchise because it explores the ideas of the franchise rather than taking them for granted; more satisfying attention to family and interpersonal relationships. I enjoy the war arc, although I think the writers let it get away from them a bit.

2nd -- TOS: very much a child of its era, but it often took unusual topics to produce some interesting commentary

3rd --- TNG: Lots of classic stories, but it is hard to dismiss the first two seasons. Sometimes written with a tone that is too pretentious.

4th -- ENT: Widely inconsistent, but sometimes stunning in its depth

5th -- VOY: still enjoyable to watch, but not as rewarding to watch; too static in character development, too conservative in story telling.

Not ranked: Discovery, although I would currently put it between TNG and ENT.

5. #Enterprise
    #Ds9
    (#)Discovery ^ with a bullet
    #TNG (havnt seen everything, but a lot)
    #Voyager (havnt seen everything )

#TOS (Not seen a single episode)

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

1. DS9
    2. TNG
    3. ORV
    4. VOY
    5. TOS
    6. ENT
    7. STD

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

TNG
    VOY
    ENT
    DS9
    TOS

Not ranking DSC yet. Too early

8. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

DS9
    TOS
    [DISCO*] (Too early to say, but this is where it is as of 6 eps.)
    TNG (4-7)
    ENT (The First two seasons were torture, but it improved in seasons 3/4, though still very clunky at times. The finale actually hurt my feelings lol)
    VOY
    TAS

9. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

1. TNG. I find the first 4 or 5 seasons the most watchable, the best produced, and the most cinematic of all Star Trek shows. Solid storytelling, great music(for the first 4 or 5 seasons), good production values, and the best cast in my opinion. TNG is the first Star Trek show I watched.

2. TOS. At times, the storytelling of TOS surpasses all other Trek and the characters are truly iconic. At times melodramatic, hammy, and the third season is very uneven.

3. DS9. Ambitious but at times indulgent. The cast was much more uneven than TNG. DS9 did have few excellent seasons that kept Star Trek going throughout the 90's. DS9 had a wide canvas of stories, continuing plot threads, characters, and colorful settings that deserve the bluray HD treatment. While not as cinematic or visceral as TNG's early seasons, overall DS9 was a well written and conceived show.

I honestly can't judge whether Ent was worse or better than VOY and I haven't warched Discovery.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  10. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    DIS
    ENT
    VOY

Armus likes this.
  11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

TOS/TAS
    VOY
    TNG
    ENT
    DS9

Not sure about DSC. I'd have to give it a Season to be fair. Its never going to rate above TOS though no matter how good it gets. :lol:

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS (One of the greatest, most influential series ever created. How can it NOT be top dawg?)

DS9 (Despite a few gems, this doesn't get really good until the end of its second season. But, when it gets good, it really gets good and never stops. Great characters, great storylines, tremendous production values. )

DSC (At this juncture, still maturing. Very much like DS9, except this heats up by episode 3 as opposed to season 3. Much like TNG did, this ushers in Trek in for a new generation with a new modern sensibility. Feature film quality on a weekly basis. Realistic, relatable characters)

TNG (Blew everything else off the air when it premiered. Ushered in a whole new era of Trek at that time. Bogged down by static characters and pretentiousness about its values and morales. Has not aged well)
    ENT (Felt tired and derivative when it premiered. Now, viewed on equal ground with all the other series is nearly poised to overtake TNG, which survives now on nostalgia for me. Fun, action/adventure show with arcs and mini-arcs)

VOY (Still the only series I haven't seen in its entirety. Characters, premise, and writing simply don't interest me. I've tried multiple times in good faith to watch on Netflix. Sometimes I can't even get through the next episode. Suffers from tremendous immaturity and safe, static writing. Has a great opening theme and I like Tuvok)

13. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1. The Next Generation
    2. Voyager
    3. Deep Space NIne
    4. Enterprise

TOS I never watched. Can't rank Discovery yet....probably after a few seasons I will.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    VOY
    ENT

Kilana2 likes this.
  15. TheCrankyCardassian

TheCrankyCardassian Lieutenant Red Shirt

DS9
    TOS
    DISCO (subject to change in time)
    TNG
    ENT
    VOY
    TAS (what I’ve seen of it)

16. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

TOS (my introduction to Trek back in the 70s)
    TNG (some interesting episodes)
    ENT (I like most of the 4th season)
    DS9 (recently started watching it, may someday rank above ENT for me)
    VOY (hated what little I saw of it. If you have to force yourself to watch something as if you were having to take cough medicine, it's not a good thing.)

I haven't yet decided how I feel about DSC even though I have watched every episode. I did not rank TAS because it is a special case.

17. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Same. Except that I count TAS as TOS and STD is the worst.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

TNG
    DS9
    TOS
    VOY
    DIS
    ENT

Kilana2 likes this.
  19. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Even in a poll ranking all the television series ever the best would be Star Trek - The Next Generation.

Longinus likes this.
  20. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

1. TOS
    2. TNG

Wait, there were other Trek series? OK.

3. The Orville

Longinus likes this.